Binder Design Excel Plus 54mm Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got my Eggfinder GPS all soldered up and tested. Now I'm looking where to mount it. The instructions say to avoid metal and the long metal threads in the payload bay are the worst place to put it. Where do people prefer to mount their GPS then? I was thinking of cutting a small hole in the base of the nosecone and using RC double sided tape to mount it inside.

Finished the eggtimer quantum. That was a bear to solder. My troubleshooting thread is here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?133476-Eggfinder-Quantum-Troubleshooting

My tip is to get a good set of 20x jeweler's glasses and CAREFULLY look at the optoisolator solders.

Likewise, I had some bad solders on the tough parts of the eggfinder GPS. Some tough spots there as well, but not as tough as the quantum's optoisolators.

So electronics are:

Tracking: Eggfinder GPS
Primary altimeter/deployment: Eggtimer Quantum
Backup altimeter/deployment: StratoLoggerCF

I need to find an elegant way to stick that GPS in the nose now.

I'm still pretty happy with what I came up with for mine, mentioned in the second half of this post. I've been through a few rough landings, the holes in the BT-55 aren't round anymore and could use some more reinforcement, and one hard landing broke the tie as the sled went inwards, it bent the EF's antenna but it was easy to straighten out. I've almost replaced the paint stick sled with a 3D-printed one, with an extension that goes all the way to the end of the BT so that it can't slide forward like that anymore (antenna is always protected). There's still a parameter or two I need to tweak on that sled before I can fly it, reminds me that I really should try to finish that this week as it should fly again on Saturday.

Electronics bay completed. Here's a link to my drogue deployment test.

Drogue deployment test.
Airframe: 4" Binder Design Excel Plus
Retention: 2 x 2-56 nylon shear pins
Electronics: Eggtimer Quantum
Charge: 1.5g FFFFg black powder.

I'll upload pics of the electronics and sled shortly.

[video=youtube;eB8vqssPK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8vqssPK-w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
Electronics bay completed. Here's a link to my drogue deployment test.

Drogue deployment test.
Airframe: 4" Binder Design Excel Plus
Retention: 2 x 2-56 nylon shear pins
Electronics: Eggtimer Quantum
Charge: 1.5g FFFFg black powder.

I'll upload pics of the electronics and sled shortly.

https://youtu.be/eB8vqssPK-w

Attaching a video to a post is as easy as attaching an image. Just click the icon to the right of the image icon, and we can watch the video w/o commercial interruption within the forum's window.

[video=youtube;eB8vqssPK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8vqssPK-w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Congrats on the successful test!

Gotta say I love the test feature of the Eggtimer Quantum. No need to hook up a vacuum. Just go to the test web page and pick the deployment charge to test.

Been busy with work and family, so it's taken me a while to get back to working on my big rocket. Anyway, tonight I had some free time.

1. 4 x 1/4" vent holes drilled into the switch band. Holes reinforced with superglue.
2. Shear-pin holes drilled into the airframe and also reinforced with superglue. Next step for this is to put in a couple cut brass strips as cutters.
3. Filets were shaped with a dremel then fine-tuned by hand with sandpaper. Safety tip: when sanding epoxy, make sure to wear a mask, gloves, and eye protection. That stuff will cause allergic reactions.
4. Everything was then primed with Rustoleum filler-primer.
5. This was sanded with successive sheets of 120 grit to 200 grit sandpaper, wiped, and re-primed.
6. The second coat was sanded smooth with 200 and then 400 grit sandpaper until shiny smooth.

Here's where it is now. (shiny primer! :) ).

The final paint scheme will be gloss black nosecone and airframe. Cherry red fins. And a bright yellow switch band.

20160729_205831.jpg

Pain job is done! I used Dupli-Colog Acrylic Enamel for the paint.

After the first coat, everything was sanded with 800 grit sandpaper.
A second coat was applied and then sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper.
After the third coat, everything was polished with 1500 grit sandpaper.
The whole thing was finally covered with clear gloss enamel and finished with 2000 grit.

Finally came time for polishing and buffing. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish with a buffing pad on my drill.

Final results... Nice, but I'm still learning. Overall, pleased with the look. Now if I could just figure out why my Eggtimer Quantum stopped working on me. :-(

20160731_175155.jpg

All the laundry is in place. Other than replacing the Eggfinder Quantum, it's now a, I'll done. I'll christen it, "Please Don't Blow Up." :p

Anything else anyone wants to see on the build?

Now I just have to find a good time to attend an NAR launch. Closest one is now a 3 hour drive away once a month. :-(

All the laundry is in place. Other than replacing the Eggfinder Quantum, it's now a, I'll done. I'll christen it, "Please Don't Blow Up." :p

Anything else anyone wants to see on the build?

Now I just have to find a good time to attend an NAR launch. Closest one is now a 3 hour drive away once a month. :-(

I'd like to see launch video and pictures.

3 hours? Lucky!!! Mine is likely a 16 hour flight (plus the driving).

Pointy side up!

Spent the last week or so finalizing my avionics. Had to replace a bad bluetooth module and a bad wifi chip, but everything is done there. I also upgraded the antennae on my gps and built a bluetooth project box for the gps receiver with an external power switch to connect to my phone. Here's a schematic of my avionics. I can upload pics, if anyone wants to see them.

Avionics Schematic.jpg

The interesting thing about the Eggtimer Quantum avionics is that the deployment circuits are electronically dead until armed wirelessly. That eliminates the need for an external arming screw switch or snap switch. The boards stay plugged in. I connect to their wifi chip via phone and type in a security code to arm them. Has anyone had this run past an RSO yet to make sure they're ok with that instead of the physical switches? I don't anticipate any problems.

The gps was upgraded to a 1/4 wave antenna vs the default stick antenna. The receiver also had a similar upgrade. Should give me a nice boost in range (theoretically about 20,000 ft?). However, I've mounted the gps in the avionics bay near threaded metal rods which will interfere with the broadcast signal. I need to test this on lower altitude launches to make sure I can pick up the signal during descent. Worst case scenario is that I need to pull the Eggfinder and mount it in my nosecose or put the antenna on the outside. I'd prefer this current layout, though to keep all the electronics in one bay. We'll see.

I'm happy I went the Eggfinder/timer route. I learned a lot about the electronics and how to properly solder really tiny SMT chips using extra flux and drag soldering.

Hopefully, I'll have time to hit the September launch in Walnut Grove, MO. I've built something that should be able to do L1 and L2, so I'll take a shot at both then.

Please tell us how the metal rods effect the range of the eggfinder. I hate mounting my antennae outside the bulkhead. I'd much rather set up something like you did.

Does anyone know of an alternative to using metal rods in the AV bay?

Please tell us how the metal rods effect the range of the eggfinder. I hate mounting my antennae outside the bulkhead. I'd much rather set up something like you did.

Does anyone know of an alternative to using metal rods in the AV bay?

I'm going by what Cris at Eggtimer said about mounting away from metal rods. I'm not well educated on radio transmissions. I did find an archived talk about it here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/archive/index.php/t-130996.html

You could try using thick, threaded nylon rods, but I'd be worried about the forces ripping the nuts off the threads. Might need to use kevlar cord to tie the bulkheads together as reinforcement. Thread it through the bulkheads and tie it tight?

Pics of the avionics bay and the GPS receiver box. The battery in the receiver box and the BT module are secure with double-sided sticky tape before closing the box. The gps board is on nylon screw standoffs.

20160817_203118.jpg20160817_203332.jpg20160817_203717.jpg

Motor ordered for L1 attempt. I already have a 38mm casing, but I went with the Apogee L1 cert special to get another one for free. You can never have too many cases, right? CTI motor availability is really rough right now. Based on what's in stock, the cert attempt will fly on a 38mm-4 grain I242 White. The flight profile is:

Stability caliber: 2.2
Initial thrust-to-weight: 286 N (64 lb-force) / (5 lb rocket) = 12.8:1 ratio
Velocity off rail (assuming a 6 ft rail): 19.4 m/s
Max acceleration: 106 m/s^2
Max velocity: 184 m/s (mach 0.54)
Apogee: 995 m (3265 ft.)

Everything looks like a safe margin, not extreme flight for L1 cert. Right?

It's dual deploy with a backup Eggtimer and a GPS to track.

If all looks good, I'll hope to make MWP14 to run it on an L2 cert flight using a K160-CL for some real altitude. (fingers crossed)

Checklist checklist spoken by a hypocrite:), good luck on the flight!

So launch day was today. It was not without excitement. Yeah, we'll call it that. Just getting there was a challenge.

On my way home from work Friday, the transmission in my car started acting up. Needless to say, that is a bit distracting. :p So I had to pack up all my gear and rockets in my fiancé's car for the 3.5 hour trip to Walnut Grove, MO.

I went through final tests the evening before and hit a hitch. My second quantum was showing continuity, but didn't fire the drogue test charge. Last minute, I pulled it out and went with just one quantum and no backup. I had motor ejection timed for about 3 seconds after apogee as a backup. It was L1, so I wasn't too worried about no backup for my dual deploy system. I'll fiddle with the secondary quantum later.

Went to charge up my lipos and one showed a low voltage alarm and wouldn't charge. Sheesh. Luckily, I had one spare left. Charged up the batteries for the deployment and GPS transmitter and receiver.

Everything was finally packed up at 1 am. Tip: don't pack at 1 am.

This morning, got up early to get fiancé and our 4 kids all ready for the road trip. 4 kids = chaos. Dropped off my car at dealer on the way.

Launch day started off well. Put up my 13 yo's Solar Express mid power rocket on an F20 and it did great.

Next was my scratch built, 3" mailing tube, heavy rocket on a G78. Flew really well, and the motor deployed as planned at an apogee of 1100 feet. However, the nose cone separated with a busted nose one loop. It bounced with no damage and the rest came down nice under chute. Uh... OK. Soldier on. I'll fix the nose later. Was going to put it up on 3 other G motors, but nope.

Next, I tried my MIRV on a C6 staging to 3 independent subassemblies on A10-3T. It snagged on the rod and went cruise missile. The second stages ignited and went over a hill to not be found. Hmph.

OK. Time to prep my L1 attempt. Went through my checklist. Got to the motor point and put in my 38 mm CTI I242 in the case. The case needs to go onto my 54 to 38 adapter first since the rocket is built for a 54 mm. So I grab my adapter... I grab my adapter. OK, I first need to dig around for it. OK. I now flash back to 1 am and see all my motor hardware lined up on the black leather sofa before packing it. Black adapter... Black sofa... Tired at 1 am... I left my adapter on the sofa. OK. No L1 launch today. I'm kicking myself.

That's when another club member bringing back his rocket that went up on a 6 grain J and was a long walk heard me saying I forgot my adapter. Luckily, that's the exact adapter he just used. So he pulled it and loaned it to me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

End result; the Binder Design Excel flew laser straight. Beautiful flight. Quantum popped the drogue at an apogee of 2540'. Motor eject popped a couple seconds later as a backup just as planned. Came down clean on drogue and popped the main as planned at 1000'. Landed soft under the stock 36" main with no damage and I passed my L1 cert. Quantum beeped the altitude out fine and the Eggfinder Bluetooth worked really well to point me to my rocket. I knew I wouldn't need it on the launch, but it was a good shakedown test of the GPS.

One more hitch. I can no longer connect to my Quantum WiFi. Second one that stopped transmitting WiFi after some deployments. Not sure what's up with that.

Spent the next few hours putting up various LPR to MPR rockets that all flew well. With all the focus I had on my L1 cert, I forgot to give the club head my launch fee. Doh! I emailed him for an address to mail it.

Now I need a drink. Several. :p

Then off to plan my L2 for MWP14 in Nov. I'll use the same airframe, but on* a 54 mm 6 grain XL L265 mellow yellow longhorn simming to 10k feet.

Last edited:
I should add that I was too distracted today to remember pictures. When I get home, I'll check if the on board video worked. I often press the wrong buttons on those little 808 cams; especially when I'm nervous.:facepalm:

Congrats on the successful L1 flight. Now you know why we love checklists (especially as I get older).

Congrats on the L1! If the club you flew with is like ours there should/could be at least 1 or 2 that were taking pictures. Might want to contact the club and ask!

So launch day was today. It was not without excitement. Yeah, well call it that. Just getting there was a challenge.

On my way home from work Friday, the transmission in my car started acting up. Needless to say, that is a bit distracting. :p So I had to pack up all my gear and rockets in my fiancé's car for the 3.5 hour trip to Walnut Grove, MO.

I went through final tests the evening before and hit a hitch. My second quantum was showing continuity, but didn't fire the drogue test charge. Last minute, I pulled it out and went with just one quantum and no backup. I had motor ejection timed for about 3 seconds after apogee as a backup. It was L1, so I wasn't too worried about no backup for my dual deploy system. I'll cuddle with the secondary quantum later.

Went to charge up my lipos and one showed* low voltage alarm and wouldn't charge. Sheesh. Luckily, I had one spare left. Charged up the batteries for the deployment and GPS transmitter and receiver.

For everything finally packed up at 1am.

This morning, got up early to get fiancé and our 4 kids all ready for the road trip. 4 kids = chaos. Dropped off my car at dealer on the way.

Launch day started off good. Put up my 13 yo's mid power rocket on an F23 and it did great.

Next was my scratch built, heavy rocket on a G78. Flew really well and motor deployed as planned at apogee of 1100 feet. However, the nose cone separated with a busted nose one loop. It bounced with no damage and the rest came down nice under chute. Uh... OK. Soldier on. I'll fix the nose later. Was going to put it up on 3 other G motors, but nope.

Next, I tried my MIRV on a C6 staging to 3 independent subassemblies on A10-3T. It snagged on the rod and went cruise* missile. The second stages ignited and went over a hill to not be found. Hmph.

OK. Time to prep my L1 attempt. Went through my checklist. Got to the motor point and put in my 38mm CTI I242 in the case. The case needs to go onto my 54 to 38 adapter first since the rocket is built for a 54mm. So I grab my adapter... I grab my adapter. OK, I first need to dig around for it.* OK.* I now flash back to 1am and see all my motor hardware lined up on the black leather sofa before packing it. Black adapter... Black sofa... Tired at 1am... I* left my adapter on the sofa. OK. No L1 launch today. I'm kicking myself.

Thata when another club member bringing back his rocket that went up on a 6 grain J and was a long walk heard me saying I forgot my adapter. Luckily, that's the exact adapter he just used. So he pulled it and loaned it to me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

End result; the Binder Design Excel flew laser straight. Beautiful flight. Quantum popped the drogue at an apogee of 2500'. Motor eject popped a couple seconds later as a backup. Came down clean and popped the main as planned at 1000'. Landed soft under the stock 36" main with not damage and I passed my L1. Quantum beeped the altitude out fine and the Eggfinder Bluetooth worked really well to point me to my rocket. I knew I would t need it on the launch, but it was a shakedown test.

One more hitch. I can no longer connect to my Quantum WiFi. Second one that stopped transmitting WiFi after some deployments. Not sure what's up with that.

Spent the next few hours putting up various LPR to MPR rockets that all flew well. With all the focus I had on my L1 cert, I forgot to give the club head my launch fee. Doh! I emailed him for an address to mail it.

Now I need a drink. Several. :p

Then off to plan my L2 for MWP in Nov. I'll use the same airframe, but on* a 54mm 6 grain XL L265 mellow yellow longhorn simming to almost 15k feet.

That will be one heck of an L2 flight!!Long burn! I hope to see that one since I would like to fire that same motor.
Congrats on your Level 1 certification!

Congrats. Did the all-thread give you any issues with your Eggfinder?

That will be one heck of an L2 flight!!Long burn! I hope to see that one since I would like to fire that same motor.
Congrats on your Level 1 certification!

I messed up the number. It sims to 10k ft. Still, should be a neat 9.9 sec burn. That's about the biggest motor this airframe will hold. This time around, I'll try to remember to take pics and vids.

Back