Quinstar on its way!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
So my Solar Warrior MMT failure and subsequent lawn-dart got me a super-nice email back from Estes and since I'd already replaced the SW...

I have a quinstar on its way. Looks like it should be a complex build, but it also should be perfect for exciting small-field launches.

I found the Quinstar to be simple but you have to pay attention. I ended up getting one of the pieces in backwards. I found it after the glue had set so I ended up cutting one side down and building the other up. Still flies nicely and the kids love to watch it.

I don't know if one of them was you, but I saw a thread where at least 2 people reported making this mistake. I swear, I'm going to mark 'em up with pencil ("THIS END UP, PLEASE!") and quadruple-check before the first drop of glue ;)

Learning from others' mistakes...Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Not necessarily a complex build, but a lot of "do this simple thing 5 times. Then do another simple thing 5 times. And another simple thing 5 times. And another...and another...and another... ;)"

Any issues painting? Looks like it could be tricky to get the paint everywhere.

Just remember the 1,2,3,4,5 numbers that are laser etched on the top of each part need to be facing towards the inside of the model. "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" Please use the God type voice when reading the words in Quotes.

John Boren

I was one who put it in backwards, but then noticed and corrected it before gluing.

There's a lot of delicate balsa cleanup to do. It's really cool the way it all fits together.

I'm still dithering about the engine mount. I'm probably gonna do 24mm, but I really don't know how much engine this thing'll take without shredding. It's 1/16" balsa, but the way it all interlocks seems to make it quite strong.

Anyone try it on a D12 or E12 or E9 yet?

I read Neil's post and still screwed it up:facepalm: I had read where John Boren said that weight could be an issue, so I just grabbed a brush and decanted some Rusto red into a cup and got enough on it to seal it. It ain't purty up close but it is good enough on the pad.

PHP:
I really don't know how much engine this thing'll take without shredding

I flew one on a composite D10 with no problem. Who's going to be the first to find out the speed of balsa for this model.

John Boren

So I had a TERRIBLE experience with appliance epoxy early on in my BAR experience (I recoated it too soon and it bubbled and looked awful) ....but I wonder if this might be an occasion to revisit that. Would definitely help prevent landing chips, strengthen the structure, and sure, why not put one of those 24mm composites in there....

Who's going to be the first to find out the speed of balsa for this model.
I think I'm gonna get at least a few flights in on C engines before I start pushing it. But then... who knows. I still like the idea of an E9 here, and I could just friction fit it and let it hang out the back. I don't think CG matters here.

I'd love to strengthen it up a bit, but given the complex construction I really have no idea where the weakest parts might be. I guess I (or, preferably, someone else) will have to find that out the hard way....

Wow, y'all have me wanting to get another and build it (correctly this time) with balsa fillets at the intersections.

I just started the Quinstar build on my building blog at:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/

I'll also be doing a 24mm mount with a removeable 18mm adapter. (Easier than you'd think!)
Be sure to use lots of fillets for the 24mm flights.
That's later on in the build -

I ordered one yesterday and am very interested in the 24mm mount at as well. I wonder what a single grain CTI 24 will do to it. Maybe a smokey sam.

Well, I have filleted every joint I could get to on this thing. If it shreds I will definitely have found the speed of balsa, not the speed of Titebond.

I've been studying it trying to find where the weak spots might be, and to be honest it feels pretty strong. The only thing I could think of was the very tips of the wings, maybe will add a small bit of bracing there but not sure. Still need to do the motor mount here, probably gonna wait to see what Chris does in his build. I did put a layer of epoxy on the underside of the hex rings that mount at the top, to protect them from the ejection charges.

I was thinking about papering just the horizontal surfaces on top, but not sure if it's worth it.

Looking good, fun little balsa sculpture to assemble.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1454284240.099225.jpg

Back