X-Files is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man,, I used to love that show.....
Caint wait....

Teddy

They are running 6 new episodes this week!

JD
Season 10, Episode 1: “My Struggle” - please, no spoilers out of consideration for those who haven't seen it, but considering what may have been revealed as "The Truth" in episode 1, I think their decision to use the English translation of Mein Kampf for the title may be a hint. No reviewer of the episode that I've found caught that, but Wikipedia did - on the Wikipedia page for Mein Kampf "My Struggle" redirects here. For the novel series by Karl Ove Knausgård, see My Struggle (Knausgård novels). For the 2016 X-Files episode, see My Struggle (The X-Files)" Mulder used the term "fascist" at least once in the episode. And, no, Hitler won't show be showing up in the show. Can't say anything more that that without spoilers.

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed either, but the reviews on IMDB are raving, so some really liked it. The Comicon preview of episode 1 back in 2015 didn't get much praise either. I hope the last five are better. They seem to be on the path to a complete revelation of "The Truth" which, if that's the case, I can't see them expanded beyond the six episodes, making the claim that there might be more episodes if these six are popular specious.

I had it on for three minutes right when Scully and Mulder first got together (on porch) and Mulder was telling her the X-files investigations were all a farce--by far, worst acting I have seen from leading characters in a decade. Turned it off.

I had it on for three minutes right when Scully and Mulder first got together (on porch) and Mulder was telling her the X-files investigations were all a farce--by far, worst acting I have seen from leading characters in a decade. Turned it off.
Noticed that exact sequence, too. Since these aren't shot in sequence, that might have been in their back to acting rusty phase, but the director should have made another take. It wasn't present throughout the show. I was surprised because their acting wasn't bad in the original series. Anyway, the next set of episodes are supposedly written by the best writers from the original series, so we'll see if the stories are decent. X-Files fans can overlook other things if the story line is decent.

The first episode is apparently the stinker. From Wikipedia (no spoilers):

...pre-release reviews of "My Struggle" released after the New York Comic-Con were more critical, with the consensus of many reviewers being that the first episode was not good. Reviewing the premiere episode, Brian Lowry of Variety panned the revival of the series, "It’s simply hard to escape the prevailing malaise of this being a deal-driven exercise, a chance to cash in on the name recognition of the title in a format that mitigated the time commitment for all concerned." Similarly, Tim Goodman, writing for The Hollywood Reporter, described the premiere as "a very underwhelming hour that will force even diehard fans [...] to consider whether pushing onward is really worth the time. Matt Fowler of IGN awarded it a 7.2 out of 10, denoting a “good” episode. Fowler wrote positively of Sveta's performance, and he also applauded the focus on the conspiracy as well as the episode’s ending. However, he criticized it for having a "bored, disinterested tone". Alex McCown of The A.V. Club reviewed the first three episodes of the revival and awarded them collectively a "B+". He largely derided the first episode, writing that "it indulges in all of [Chris Carter's] worst [writing] tendencies." He was particularly critical of the episodes’s expository monologues. Ultimately, he wrote that “the first episode demonstrates some of The X-Files’ weaker tendencies, though it possesses a hokey charm, one that comes from pretending as though the past 15 years of television never happened."

Pre-release reviews of the following two episodes, were much more positive. McCown argued that it "immediately course corrects" with Wong’s "Founder’s Mutation"; he called the episode "smart" and "unsettling". McCown lauded Morgan’s “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster”, writing that the episode ultimately "makes the case for why The X-Files is still worth having around." Brian Tallerico of RogerEbert.com wrote that "Founder's Mutation" "perfectly blends show mythology (including Mulder and Scully’s kid) with a modern plot" and that "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" is "hysterical, smart and so much fun." Darren Franich of Entertainment Weekly reiterated these thoughts, arguing that "Founder's Mutation" is "an improvement over the premiere", and that Darin Morgan's episode is "a wild, playful, brain-twisting, heart-pulling, and above all adventurous episode of television."

Sadly, Gillian Anderson was offered half of the money David Duchovny received....just like in the original series run. To be honest, I wouldn't pay to watch Duchovny...and I haven't ever...but Gillian Anderson is another matter.

The Lone Gunmen were always the best part of the X Files.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Brought back a bunch of great memories of watching the first runs with my dad. Sure it could have been better but it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Negative Nancy's.

SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED EPISODE ONE YET

They stated that the first episode was so-so, but they also said that episode 2 tonite is going to be real good. Hope so. I still get disgusted at Scully, the denial she seems to wear like armor; even going so far as to lie about the alien DNA and then for no real good reason, then urges Mulder on after first trying to hold him back. She's one conflicted #*€£#%.

Sadly, Gillian Anderson was offered half of the money David Duchovny received....just like in the original series run. To be honest, I wouldn't pay to watch Duchovny...and I haven't ever...but Gillian Anderson is another matter.

The Lone Gunmen were always the best part of the X Files.

Yep, I think I'll find a reason to watch...............click on this:
gillian-anderson-058-06.jpg

Spoiler alert! Mulder launches a Mercury Redstone in ep 2!

Some screen shots I took of the rockets. :)

2016-01-25%2020.59.39.jpg

2016-01-25%2021.02.01.jpg

2016-01-25%2021.03.46.jpg

Now that was fast. How'd you get them in here so quickly. Lol. I forgot, I paused the show to go outside.

Now that was fast. How'd you get them in here so quickly. Lol. I forgot, I paused the show to go outside.

Actually I had them as soon as it aired...I just took a pic of the screen with my phone which has an auto-upload to a Cloud. It then takes me a few minutes to download and upload to a different photo account. :)

I liked the second episode much better than the first and not just because of the Redstone.

I just saw my first of these last night...
With the unnecessary / cheesy baby gory stuff...
How many episodes have shown so far ???

Teddy

Saw the second episode last night. Much better than the first...probably the James Wong script. I can't wait to see if Darin Morgan did any writing, his were always the best (and funniest.)

Enjoyed the first one very X-files big mythology episode. It was written by Carter and most of the more memorable episodes weren't his. Had to break half way through the second one last night good so far, I like that it is not just a big mythology arc.

note from here out it is on Monday's at 8 which just feels weird

Tuned in for another four minutes, English man with straw hat and Mulder discussing transgender cutting off of genitals then Scully with a fake seductive voice humping said Englishman... Continuation of horrible acting from episode 1 so again turned channel...

Ya know, I consider myself a huge sci-fi fan, but I could never get into the X-Files....
Never seen a full episode ever. The redo of Battlestar Galactica was a hard one to swallow too. I got through the first season, then, meh...

Adrian

I thought last nights episode was ok.
It was cheesy on purpose, just like some of the old episodes.

I thought it was hilarious! Campy and silly...a throwback to some of the old odd episodes. I loved all the things they stuffed in this one...the angst and struggle of a middle-class worker, a fantasy scene with a sexy Scully, preposterous creature, plot twist, Mulder drinking himself silly...boy, this one seemed like they almost tried too hard to satisfy all the original fans! :)

I thought it was a mix of "The Office", "Twilight Zone", "Creepshow" and maybe a few others.

BTW - When X-files first came to TV and became a hit, I realized I had come of age since a show I liked and thought may be a bit odd for mainstream was finally popular. It marked the point in which I became a key demographic segment to which media was targeting. Yup, I studied advertising. :grin:

Back