low weight fiberglass cloth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I wanted to order from US Composites, as they were highly recommended by people I trust here, but the lowest weight they offer is 3oz! I wanted some 2oz and even smaller yards. Where to next?

Try Raka Inc, usually has .75oz in stock, and good service even if the website is a little antiquated. They also tend to be less $ per yard than many of the others.

Are you going to vac bag this with peel ply and breather, if so then you will minimize your weight. If not and you're just doing a glass wrap then you are likely to leave more resin on the layup than glass and maximize on the weight.

Another one to know about is https://www.cstsales.com . In the same space as ACP but a bit more oriented to vacuum-bagging hobbyists. CST is the only retail source I've found for 1.0 oz Kevlar.

Are you going to vac bag this with peel ply and breather, if so then you will minimize your weight. If not and you're just doing a glass wrap then you are likely to leave more resin on the layup than glass and maximize on the weight.

Actually not hard to use the sub 1 oz weight glass cloth as a finishing material by itself and get rid of excess resin with a squeegee and blotting with tissue. And, as it is usually used as a finishing material and not bagged as a structural layup, you want a touch of excess resin left behind to aid in filling the grain of the cloth prior to priming, anyway.

No need to go to 1oz cloth or lighter as the final layer of a bagged structural layup as the grain of heavier cloth like 4 oz will stay nicely filled in a bagged lay up with peel ply.

ACP is in Livermore. Not far from Cattlemen's. You can pick up your order if you like. :)

I have been using, "Fiberglass Supply", for a number of years and have been happy with them. They have .58, 1.4, and 2.1 oz cloth in the lighter weights. They have a very large selection of cloths, epoxy's, and general supplies.

https://www.fiberglasssupply.com

Mike

Back