Man Lifting Kites of WWI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's insane! I'm surprised they didn't market that for kids back in the day.

Imagine that poor $@$£€ when he realized the wind was dying?!

Geeezzzzzzz......
How did that poor fella get volunteered for that one.....

Teddy

Well, I guess that the odds of survival was probably higher doing surveillance with kites, then with doing the suicidal charges thru machine gun fire commanded by generals still fighting using Civil War tactics.

Why not just send him up with a sign on his back that says "SHOOT ME!" (more valor in getting shot in war than killed by kite). ;)

They didn't need the sign, nothing says shoot me louder than a enemy soldier hanging over a battlefield where the soldiers have modern firearms with ranges in excess of a mile. They may not be accurate, but enough shots fired and eventually he gets the golden BB.

Funny article...thanks for posting!

Imagine my shock to find out that, according to the article, WE LOST THE KITE TECHNOLOGY RACE:

But even at this time, Perkins was playing catch up with Europe's kite technology. "The American effort was really sporadic," Scott Skinner, founder of the Drachen Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to kite history and education, tells me. "All of the European armies experimented with these systems prior to World War I, and frankly they were a lot more serious about it and a lot more successful at it than the Americans were." The Americans would never use the kites on the battlefield, but the Germans and French had them on the fronts.

I guess we just had to settle for being the one's who invented heavier than air flight...first flight past the sound barrier...first man on the moon...LOL!

It just goes to show, there are some tech things you shouldn't blow a lot of money on.

(Something tells me that the Chinese have probably always lead in kite tech, maybe K'Tesh can fill us in on the latest from China sometime).

Funny article...thanks for posting!

Imagine my shock to find out that, according to the article, WE LOST THE KITE TECHNOLOGY RACE:

I guess we just had to settle for being the one's who invented heavier than air flight...first flight past the sound barrier...first man on the moon...LOL!

It just goes to show, there are some tech things you shouldn't blow a lot of money on.

(Something tells me that the Chinese have probably always lead in kite tech, maybe K'Tesh can fill us in on the latest from China sometime).

There's at least one story of a man lifting kite in the Asian cultures, but it's been a long time since I worked at Catch The Wind Kite Shop, and I don't have access to the books at the moment.

Back