Daughter's Flutter-By

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick and easy way is to print the design that she chooses on white paper and glue it on with a light coating of white glue on the back. Once it is completely dry, spray clear over it. It's not elegant but it works and is less trouble for her than a waterslide decal.

So I wonder. I bought some Matte White sticker paper today. I bet that might work, with a little clear coat over it like you suggested. Guess I'd best test that theory on some scrap first to ensure I don't mess up her nice job!! Thanks for the advice.

Here are ours (and the other night fury rockets).
CIMG3884_1.jpg

CIMG3885.jpg

CIMG4751.jpg

Oh man. Those are great!!!! Like the fade on the flutter-by!! The night fury look is great! I'm doing pearl red/pearl black nose on my L1 Torrent. Guess I can call it a "night fury" too!�� didn't even dawn on me! thanks for posting those

Yes. Skip to 7:40 of the video below to see mine on an A8-3.

[video=youtube;BuBAWfiJThM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuBAWfiJThM[/video]

Ok your bane has now become mine since Megan has seen this. Where did you buy the glitter paint? Krylon? Micheals? :(

We got the Krylon from Michael's, indeed. The clear glitter protect seems to really bring out the sparkles in the glitter. However, I'm glad you were able to stay away from the glitter paint.

There seems to be 2 main issues with this rocket that are easily avoidable: 1) Not separating due to very tight grip the CR has on the sustainer (fixable by ensuring sufficient sanding of the CR, and 2) after separating, losing a half because of either too much height (stick with A8-3) or not able to keep an eye on both halves simultaneously (those nice bright colors your daughter picked out should do the trick well!).

Looking forward to the launch pics/video!

Nah, for this rocket, your daughter should get stickers all the way! It's a rite of passage! Also might as well do it now since once they're grown up, it's not so cool anymore. ;)

YEAH! She said she doesn't want a decal. It looks good just the way it is! Score! Now we just need a launch window. I'm headed to Seattle on Saturday, so not sure we're going to get it or not before I get back.

My son saw the Dupli-Color Clear Effex... ::sighs:: a couple of bats of big blue eyes and I'm out $15 for a can of spray paint...so I feel your pain. I know Michael's has glitter paint out here, plus you can use a coupon with it. Have them match Joann's 50% off coupon. :-D

I used some of their effex paints a long time ago. They were ok. Didn't quite come out the way I had anticipated; but wasn't too bad.

Yes. Skip to 7:40 of the video below to see mine on an A8-3...

Great video! At first I thought the background noise was an airplane, then I realized this was at the racetrack. But later, there actually was a plane flying nearby, close call? Very nice HoJo too. I need to get out to one of these launches soon.

She will remember this for a very long time!

Yes, yes she will!

Cherish these moments, I know I did. I still watch videos from nearly 7 years ago when my daughter and I were both involved in the hobby.

"Daddy, can we go shoot rockets?"

I sooo miss that :(

Great video! At first I thought the background noise was an airplane, then I realized this was at the racetrack. But later, there actually was a plane flying nearby, close call? Very nice HoJo too. I need to get out to one of these launches soon.

The field is a secondary parking lot at a race track. There is also an airport a couple miles away, so we keep a good eye out for aircraft and generally limit flights to 1000' or less. So yeah, plenty of airplane and drag car noises going on.

kcobbva...I wanted to come back...this is such an awesome picture!! what a great project! she will carry the memories of building ans flying a rocket with her dad! I remember the times with my daughter....of course, now she is 25 and we are planning a wedding for her......makes you wonder where the time goes?

All done. Green doesn't look green under these lights, but she's very pleased. However, Ken was right. She's not too thrilled with the decal included. gotta figure out how to make a real butterfly decal for her.

WP_20160125_17_33_52_Pro%20225x400.jpg

Fantastic project and results. Nothing beats building rockets with your daughter.

kcobbva...I wanted to come back...this is such an awesome picture!! what a great project! she will carry the memories of building ans flying a rocket with her dad! I remember the times with my daughter....of course, now she is 25 and we are planning a wedding for her......makes you wonder where the time goes?

Thanks NJRick! It was really fun doing this with her. I look forward to getting back home from my current trip and then getting out to launch this thing! I know she'll be excited to do so, as well as launch her Big Daddy and find out if that mod we did fixes the nose issue. Regardless, it'll be time in the field with her, and that alone is priceless! btw....congrats on the wedding! I don't even want to think of that yet.......for quite a while :)

Fantastic project and results. Nothing beats building rockets with your daughter.
Indeed. Thanks. Was quite a bit of fun.

Not sure if I posted this one anywhere or not, but my little guy built his first a week before my daughter came up asking to build this one. We just haven't painted his yet because I couldn't handle that one in the snow. Anyway, proud of both of these kids. Maybe (hopefully) one day, they'll build a rocket with their kids. :)
WP_20160117_15_54_16_Pro%201.jpg

thanks kcobbva....just load the shotgun...I think all of us dad's are good at that!

Thanks NJRick! It was really fun doing this with her. I look forward to getting back home from my current trip and then getting out to launch this thing! I know she'll be excited to do so, as well as launch her Big Daddy and find out if that mod we did fixes the nose issue. Regardless, it'll be time in the field with her, and that alone is priceless! btw....congrats on the wedding! I don't even want to think of that yet.......for quite a while :)

WOW! awesome!!!! That little guy needs a Saturn V!!!!

Indeed. Thanks. Was quite a bit of fun.

Not sure if I posted this one anywhere or not, but my little guy built his first a week before my daughter came up asking to build this one. We just haven't painted his yet because I couldn't handle that one in the snow. Anyway, proud of both of these kids. Maybe (hopefully) one day, they'll build a rocket with their kids. :)
WP_20160117_15_54_16_Pro%201.jpg

thanks kcobbva....just load the shotgun...I think all of us dad's are good at that!

Yep! Plan to hand the boy a sharpie and a shell. Write his name on it and put it on the mantel with the rest. He'll see some spent and some not and ill simply say "for some its been ok and for others its not worked out so well. Treat her right"

Yep! Plan to hand the boy a sharpie and a shell. Write his name on it and put it on the mantel with the rest. He'll see some spent and some not and ill simply say "for some its been ok and for others its not worked out so well. Treat her right"

Oh. My. Gawd.

That's......brilliant!

Evil and a little twisted, but..hilarious ;)

well played!

Back