eBay Delusion of the Day.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Well over $1000 into this collection."

Uh, only if he bought this stuff from another eBay hopeful.

At least let's give him credit for doing local pickup only, due to the engines.

More like $100 takes all... it's mostly built kits!

Maybe I should sell some pre-chewed gum on eBay.

I HAVE A bunch to sell. Anybody want a 58 caliber civil war bullet form Gettysburg. I have a special price.

I saw that ad about 6-8 months ago. I'm surprised he's still trying to get that price. I think he was at $500.00 originally....

Phil L.

About 18 months ago I was approached by a gentleman who I knew casually from DARS launches and who ironically lived within one mile from me. He told me that he had "had it" with the hobby and knowing that I lived nearby had called me. So we met in his garage where he showed me his stash. He had about a dozen rockets, both kits and scratch built in various stages of construction; a couple of popular kits still in the box; all manner of building supplies including body tubes, couplers, nose cones, balsa, fiberglass sheets, you name it-he had it. The prize was a treasure trove of engines ranging from 13 mm Estes all the way up to Aerotech and CTI hardware with reloads. He wanted $300 for the lot, take it or leave it, so I took it.

Later I did a full inventory of my purchase. The engines and engine hardware alone listed for over $1,100. I have zero complaints. :facepalm:

Last edited:
You may never have to purchase another rocket kit again? This guy definitely doesn't know anything about the hobby if he thinks this is true. You ALWAYS need to buy another kit!

I recently made a 3000$ purchase from a local retiring rocketeering, retail value was easily 12k or more. I still have stuff to move.

Last edited:
Love the subject! I see ridiculous stuff at times and that auction keeps making the rounds. :rofl:

Well, I see you and I raise you this one! You too can pay 5x what ACSupply, Amazon and your local chain hobby store (with a coupon) sells this for!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Tand...983156?hash=item1a0caf94b4:g:XSUAAOSwPcVV0JMI

Estes TandemX Launch S
et Rocket Model Easy Assemble 1469 RTF NIB Kit E 2x NEW

• $97.99
  • Buy It Now
  • Free shipping
  • s-l225.jpg

Haha. "These are not real Bombs or Weapons"

Thanks for the clarification. :p

I would day it is a good idea that we keep an eye out for stolen items. I was joking above. This person has been trying to sell this for a while.

It is not a terrible ripoff, but I do think he is overestimating the $1000. $480 is not a great deal though. $1000 would be for unbuilt kits or kits that were built well with a quality paint job and decals. The launch equipment is plus/minus. I would say 350 to 400.

As I noted before, eBay charges very little to create a listing (and offers free listing promotions all the time). So, some sellers will list things at higher prices and lower the price over time until the item sells.

-- Roger

I would day it is a good idea that we keep an eye out for stolen items. I was joking above. This person has been trying to sell this for a while.

It is not a terrible ripoff, but I do think he is overestimating the $1000. $480 is not a great deal though. $1000 would be for unbuilt kits or kits that were built well with a quality paint job and decals. The launch equipment is plus/minus. I would say 350 to 400.

Agreed!

I still love the subject of this thread and I'll likely try to contribute other "price travesties" as I come upon them. Too many people don't think about the famous proverb in the reverse sense..."one man's treasure is another man's trash". :wink:

Well good news is at least two of em has engines already installed and ready for launch. I guess that is where the extra cost comes from because we all know how hard it is to get those engines in.

Maybe he should spilt it all up and would probably get 480 for everything. I can see how people want some of it but not everything in one package. I would buy 1 or 2 things if he split it up...he could ship me those motors too

\

"You may never have too purchase another rocket kit again". Even without the $480 minimum bid, that is delusional.

While the price is high, if you apply new values to everything he has its more than the asking price. The Aerotech initiator launch kit with the Mantis Pad aint cheap, and neither is the Big D launch controller (or it could be a Pratt ). Figure a SU G motor at a retail of $16 to $20 each. Of course none of us buy at retail unless forced at gunpoint. There have been other pictures of this lot and the are quite a few pieces.

I won't disagree with that, rockets built by someone else have little value except as parts to me.

I buy built rockets all the time. I pay guys to build and repair my rockets. I absolutely can't stand building rockets. Haven't for about 10 years. But I do cuz I love to fly. Don't dis buying built rockets. Ain't nothing wrong with it.

Latest posts

Back