Rocketpoxy for Fillets Only?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Getting ready to put together my Excel Plus 54. Is the Rocketpoxy epoxy ideally just for fillets, or is it strong enough to use for any attachments I need like attaching the fin tabs to the motor mount? I might just use JB Weld for those attachments.

Thanks,
Mark
NAR#: 100890

You can use it to build the entire rocket with exception of motor retainer in which JB Weld is the recommended bonding agent.

I've never used Rocketpoxy but the properties aren't bad.

https://www.glenmarc.com/datasheets/EPOXY/RP_G5000_DATASHEET.pdf

I would try to wet out whatever you are bonding with the epoxy at its lowest viscosity stage, then wait for the viscosity to rise in order to have some fillet and gap filling properties.

As a comparison I will typically wet out my bonds using neat EA9396 (35poise) to ensure it flows into every nook and cranny of the bond. then add cab-o-sil to the rest of my mix to get a thicker adhesive that doesn't just run all over the place. I like this better than waiting for the epoxy to gel, but it accomplishes the same thing.

Built and flew my entire 3" Villain with rocketpoxy.

I e used 5minute on motor retainers before. Sure JB is best. But unless you're flying 7 second motors....I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

FYI:

I've stuck 3 retainers on with RocketPoxy, 2-54mm & 38mm.
Their still on after 2 yrs!

Last edited:
Back