Recommendation for Big Red Bee antenna on gps unit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtech

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to buy a big red bee gps unit, I know I am going to do it.
I have two kenwood enabled aprs radios. (TH-D72a, TM-D710g)
SO I am going APRS for sure.

My question is recommendation for Big Red Bee antenna on gps unit.

Should I use the standard wire wipe or go to an SMA connector and put an antenna?
I like the size of length of using the wire wipe, but I really want to get signal back.

Currently I have been using the 70cm beacon with a wire wipe, and I haven't lost signal with it..
well I did lose signal after it landing in the big icky in Muskegon, MI.. stupid poop pond!

I don't plan on breaking 15K ft for the time being, I can't afford a N motor yet :)
Side note, my wife all most killed me when I explained how much my M2250 cost for one shoot :lol:

I am leaning to the wire wipe antenna, and using my 7 element arrow antenna on the receive side.

Thanks in advance my fellow rocket fans!

~Russ

Ohh I am looking at the 70cm 16mw GPS unit.

and I have the 70cm 16wm beacon transmitter.

I got the SMA option because I like to remove the whip for storage. I only used an extension cable once, and then I put the whip on a bulkhead. 8)

You'll probably do fine with a rubber duck on the D72.

Is the 7100 mounted in your car? A magmount whip would be awesome. I'd be tempted to hook the 7100 up to s laptop to record packets in case you lose the rocket.

Sounds like a great setup! Have fun!

So my wife gave me a PO to order a new big red bee gps for my birthday!

I went with the 70cm 16mw with the SMA connector.
I am going to use the sma connector wipe that comes with it.
but later I can add the antenna out of the ebay later.

Currently with my Ultimate Wildman Kit, I have a 3in x 12in tracker bay built in the nose cone :)

Thanks for the input!
~Russ N8RSH

Back