Paint Pens anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys-

I was looking for a convenient way to detail the nosecone of my Dark Energy without a whole load of masking. I came across a paint pen in my house, which gave me an idea. I ordered a set of fine and extra fine pens from Amazon, and went to town. I did some tests on an old, retired rocket to confirm compatibility.

Paint Pen 001.jpg

Here's the starting point. The cone is painted with an acrylic red... frankly I forget which one... from either the Wicked or Auto Air line of acrylic airbrush paints. It's got a couple decals on from the kit.

I started with the white one. I used scrap paper to get the white paint flowing. Then, using the contours of the nose cone as a guide, I made lines.

Paint Pen 002.jpg

I kept going, moving over to the black paint pen eventually. These are using the extra fine pens. Turns out the plain "fine" ones would only be good for relatively wide lines, and this task needs fine ones.

Paint Pen 003.jpg

You will see numerous goofs... my technique needs work. Some smears and places where I didn't follow the line properly true.

Paint Pen 004.jpg Paint Pen 005.jpg

As I continued to work I got better. Fixing mistakes is relatively hard in this case, as I was using a mix of paints that would be hard to touch up. I decided not to stress over it. It will look fine on the pad. Next time I will be more careful.

Basically, these paint pens rock for detail work like this. I don't recall seeing much about them here on the forum so I figured I would share.

Marc

Yeah, I have tried this with silver and gold pens before. Sadly I don't have a steady enough hand for decent results. But for those that do, could be a great option.

I did quick tests on top of fully cured enamel, lacquer, and acrylic. No problems in drawing lines and such. Doing larger areas of wetter application could theoretically cause issues with enamel.

hey big tough manly fellow rocketeers- sometimes it helps to have a lady in the house... think fingernails- high quality enamel paints as used in beauty shops to paint nails then put cute decorated designs on them- they are called nail pens. good ones are not squeeze bottles- this is an example of a pen and brush set. it is perfect for rocket detailing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C7DK7Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the nice things about lacquer type nail polishes is they can be brushed into crevices, allowed to dry, then wiped with a rag soaked in fingernail polish remover ( acetone) and it will if done carefully will remove the excess leaving color in just the crevices.

Hi guys-

I was looking for a convenient way to detail the nosecone of my Dark Energy without a whole load of masking. I came across a paint pen in my house, which gave me an idea. I ordered a set of fine and extra fine pens from Amazon, and went to town. I did some tests on an old, retired rocket to confirm compatibility. Basically, these paint pens rock for detail work like this. I don't recall seeing much about them here on the forum so I figured I would share.
Marc

I looked into getting some of the empty refillable Montana brand because I wanted to use matching colors for those "out of the box" shades, but they don't carry the 3mm replacement nibs. They do carry the 3mm like what is used on the Testor's paint pens, and I like that size nib. But WTH, if I can't replace the 3mm nib, no sense in getting them. They have refills for the other sizes, but I really have no use for those. I can cover 95% of the touch-ups with the preferred nib. I called the company and asked the guy why they didn't stock those, and he was clueless. He really did not know why.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-black-paint-marker-empty-markers-and-replacement-nibs/

Hey Gary!

Yes I have been using for years, they are great, cover well and tons of colors.[actually my sister the artist] been using paint pens. Hers have a tip on each end. One fine, other thick.

This entire project Ultimate Endeavor was done using them. Check out the incredible detail.
The " Mummy Rocket" or Bad to the Bone...even the letters were "bone" font.LOL
The allow for intense shading and add depth to drawing. Blow up the skull 3 x .

She did this in 3 days.
Unforutnatelty I should have clear coated with UV-protection, the purple especially has faded terribly.
The dagger is all silver & gold pens. Only the mummy wrap on the white was done with plain Magic Makers. All else was done with pens.

100_2962.jpg 100_2972.jpg 100_2973.jpg

100_2976.jpg 100_2987.jpg 100_3208.jpg

Last edited:
Great Post Marc;
have used various paint pens for camo detailing over the years but didn't know about the Extra fine tips, Smallest I've seen is 1/8" nibs (3mm). If you found finer they should be great for projects as you've shown.
Thanks for sharing.

Hey Gary!

Yes I have been using for years, they are great, cover well and tons of colors.[actually my sister the artist] been using paint pens. Hers have a tip on each end. One fine, other thick.

This entire project Ultimate Endeavor was done using them. Check out the incredible detail.
The " Mummy Rocket" or Bad to the Bone...even the letters were "bone" font.LOL
The allow for intense shading and add depth to drawing. Blow up the skull 3 x .

She did this in 3 days.
Unforutnatelty I should have clear coated with UV-protection, the purple especially has faded terribly.
The dagger is all silver & gold pens. Only the mummy wrap on the white was done with plain Magic Makers. All else was done with pens.]

Hadn't considered getting all "Artsy Phartsy" with those. Nice work! I have a few of the Testors pens and they work pretty well for your basic colors. Been known to siphon rattle can colors from "not so basic" colors and degass them till they're paintable. That works OK but it's messy. I use them mostly for touch ups.

I have tried a real thick blue paint pen to outline the flames on the FatBoy below, but I had a real hard time keeping the curves smooth and the thickness consistent, so I am not too happy with the finished product. I think rockets could be a great application for paint pens, as long as they can be controlled. By using the molded edges in your Dark Energy nose cone, yours turned out great! I am currently building a Dark Silver that uses the same nose cone and have been thinking about how I want to finish it. Your post is making me think paint pens might be a viable option.

After.jpg

Back