Filing for an FAA Waiver.... Grrrrrrrr...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
So, is anyone else having problems filling out the FAA Form 7711-2 Waiver Application?

Every time I attempt to do so, it not only limits the number of characters on the location and description blocks, but also plugs in today's date and time (down to the minute and second) for some reason.
Damn difficult to tell them how long we want the waiver to last when it does this!

What am I doing wrong?
:facepalm:

Last edited:
Send that form to the FCC and they will be puzzled.

M

When filling out an FAA Waiver request form, the on-line form allowed me to specify the start date, but would not let me enter anything except military time for the start time.... and literally altered anything I entered to the current time on the computer I was using. The form also altered my end date to 00/00/2017 no matter what I attempted to enter.

The waiver came back approved.

Now I am wondering. If the form was altering the time to 14:27:30 and 14:29:59, is my waiver only good for a 2 1/2 minute window on all dates between the starting date and ending date?

It has been and continues to be our desire to indicate a launch window between Local sunrise and local sunset (preceded by a phone call activation half hour beforehand).

Do I misunderstand? Comments please.

I did our waivers for years. AeroPac. I used a lot of "see attached" for dates and times and locations. Besides that form 7711-2, I had 6 other pages that I would attach. Maps, dates times and altitudes, safety, first aid plan and specific items to be waived.

Our signed waivers were 4 pages. The "waiver" a page or two on who to call NOTAMS, 3 different ARTCC, State of NV, a military base and other Special Provisions. For instance...

#7 All rockets launched between sunset and sunrise must be equipped with a light emitting devise to allow to nonparticipating aircraft to see and avoid the rockets.

Sounds like you should call or email the FAA and figure out if you and them are on the same page.

Tony

Apparently what ever the problem was Kirk got it figured out because our waiver arrived less than two weeks after he applied for it. We, WVSOAR here in southern Ohio, are good to go until the end of the year. Thanks Kirk!

I did this job for several years after taking over from another who had done it a long time as well. I thought that it might be good to get more people involved as I often put my life at risk by eating bacon and driving my car. Not at the same time of course. It's probably a good idea to spread responsibilities around so there are several people who can fill in or take over if necessary.

Back