ThrustCurve.org v3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As per the poll conducted last year, I am reimplementing ThrustCurve.org in more modern web technologies. This thread will be forum for me to get feedback on the progress.

The main goals of the rewrite are
  • refresh the look and feel
  • make the site responsive
  • use modern technologies
  • improve things in general

For other developers out there, the new implementation is public on GitHub.

John, thanks so much for your dedication and contributions to this hobby!

I just finished implementing the motor details page, with what I think is a nice addition of showing you how the motor compares with others in its impulse class on several key dimensions.

K535details.jpg

No points for guessing which UI framework I'm using. :)

John,,
This really is a huge undertaking...
I'm sure this was / is quite the task...
And is so extremely useful for so many of us...

Thank you so much.....

Teddy

No, I'm not planning to change the phone app itself, but the new web site will work better on mobile devices and continue to support the phone app.

That will be nice. Not to derail the thread but does the mobile app contain all the data on the device or does it need wifi to access data when in the field like basic motor thrustcurves?

As previously requested, I'm trying to add propellant and motor case searching, but there are too many options for a select box. We could do some work to clean up the database entries, but even so there are a lot of propellants across all the manufacturers.

Here's a screen shot showing some of the propellant options. The list of cases is even longer.

search-propellant.jpg

Last edited:

So basically the mobile app stores my data only but not all the basic thrust curves, which it downloads on request in order to keep memory usage low. Thanks, sorry I play and work with computers but writing software is not something I understand on more than a BASIC level :) The reason I asked earlier was that I commonly perform RSO duties at my clubs launches and even though I have cell service (tower is only a mile or so from launch site) but just in case I didn't would it be possible to get the thrustcurve data for someone else's motor so I could find out max thrust, etc. I really like the new look of what you are doing with Thrustcurve.org.

Last edited:
John- Thanks for all the work! I know hardly anyone remembers when you had to 'pencil out' every motor combination to get a rough idea of what the model was going to do, This has become my go to bible for each bird as I print out the files and take them to the launch. I can easily adjust for waivers, wind, etc. and this has just taken it one step further. I can't express my appreciation enough!

So basically the mobile app stores my data only but not all the basic thrust curves, which it downloads on request in order to keep memory usage low.

That's a good summary, I'll add it to the page.

The reason I asked earlier was that I commonly perform RSO duties at my clubs launches and even though I have cell service (tower is only a mile or so from launch site) but just in case I didn't would it be possible to get the thrustcurve data for someone else's motor so I could find out max thrust, etc.

The new web site will work better on tablets and phones because I'm using "responsive" techniques. What this means is that the layout changes depending on the display size. For example, the search form and result list on the iPhone simulator are still usable. (They still need work to look good, but you get the idea.)

phone-search.jpgphone-results.png

Of course, you will need cell coverage to use the web app.

Dear John,

+ 1 thanks for all the happy hours I've spent on Thrustcurve & the inspiring know-how you have shared both here and on jcrocket.

Are there any plans to make the mobile app available for Windows, or is it just going to be Mac / Android..?

Are there any plans to make the mobile app available for Windows, or is it just going to be Mac / Android..?
No current plans to port to Windows Phone, but it's something I'd consider if there is enough interest. My development experience is on UNIX, so getting a Windows machine and developing on it is not attractive, but perhaps could be overcome.

The good news is the new web site will be much more mobile-friendly, so the only thing the app will have over it is the ability to store results locally for offline viewing.

No current plans to port to Windows Phone, but it's something I'd consider if there is enough interest. My development experience is on UNIX, so getting a Windows machine and developing on it is not attractive, but perhaps could be overcome.

The good news is the new web site will be much more mobile-friendly, so the only thing the app will have over it is the ability to store results locally for offline viewing.

Understood - Thrustcurve is a fantastic resource on whatever platform, so it's all good stuff. Thanks again for your endeavour.

I'm now working on the simulator file details page, and trying to make it easier to compare the values from the data file with the certified values. Does this make it more obvious?

simfile.png

Compare that to the current site.

Just got the thrust curve graphs in for simulator files. This time I'm producing SVG images rather than PNGs. The SVG format is vector graphics so they look good at any resolution and scale naturally. (This is especially important on mobile devices with small, high-resolution displays.)

simfile2.png

Sadly this forum doesn't recognize SVG as a valid image format, so the actual files need to be attached: View attachment examples.zip.

Several people have requested that unit preferences be observed better and I've made them more fundamental in the new site. (This follows the way they're implemented in the mobile app.)

unit-prefs.png

John is there any way to "filter" the motor guide selection criteria somewhere between "any" and one specific manufacturer?

As a California rocketeer, I'd like to be able to run the motor guide and see results only for Aerotech and Cesaroni.

Thanks!

John, I never walk to the AMW trailer to buy motors without my ThrustCurve.org simulations in my pocket. What an amazing resource, and looks like it is getting even better. I add my sincerest thanks, and I am looking forward to the new upgrades.

Next feature is another new one (not in the current site): favorite motors. Like the mobile app, you can mark motors as favorites to make them easy to find again.

favorites.png

Very nice! Thank you for the time and effort you have put into this.

Just an FYI, I -just- got the App on my older iPhone 4, and even without wifi, (just by data) it took less than a minute to download. Very quick install!

Now I've completed basic rocket editing. Entering and editing rockets is pretty much the same as before.

What's new is how you get into the motor guide from a saved rocket. As requested, you get more control over what kind of motors are matched before the guide starts. You also get a preview of how many motors fit the MMT right on the rocket details page ("24 C−F motors by 4 manufacturers fit").

rocket-guide.png

Back