What altimeter ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very old and uses DOS interface to program it.
I had the DD version ages ago.
The wiring harness is a split IDE cable.
The first real accelerometer for HP rocketry.

JD

Ohhhh,,,
I thought it may be the one Dan P is selling,,
but then I saw the guy is in Florida,,
so I thought it was different...
Very interesting...
Must have been all the rage in it's day right ?? lol...

Teddy

Does anyone know anything about this altimeter ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flight-data-recorder-Avionics-Data-logging-Altimeter-/181991491025?

I am curious about it because it seems so pack full of components...
I don't think I've ever seen this unit before...

Teddy

Are you planning on getting it to play with?

I don't know if it was the same model, but years back we had a TAP member get a scare when he twisted the wires together to power an old altimeter. The Main charge blew when he put the wires together. Turns out one of the transistors on the output had been twisted and bent a little and two of the leads were touching. Straightening the transistor fixed the problem.

Have fun with it, just be careful. The older electronics can have failure modes that the newer ones never have.

Are you planning on getting it to play with?

I don't know if it was the same model, but years back we had a TAP member get a scare when he twisted the wires together to power an old altimeter. The Main charge blew when he put the wires together. Turns out one of the transistors on the output had been twisted and bent a little and two of the leads were touching. Straightening the transistor fixed the problem.

Have fun with it, just be careful. The older electronics can have failure modes that the newer ones never have.

No,, No,,
I'm not interested in buying it,,
I was just curious about it,, age and capability and all...
Steve M is right on though,,
Dan P is looking to sell one and I read all he wrote about it,,
I just didn't realize they were the same unit's ( the one Dan's selling and this one the guy in Florida is selling on ebay )...

Teddy

With out the very specific wiring harness for this unit it is useless.

Ted,
No direct relationship.
I did speak to him back in the day.

JD

Wow Bob,,
Thank you,,
Not a great first impression...
There was a post by the the name Bill Davenport...
I wonder if he's any relation to our Jeff D ( JDcluster ).....

Teddy

Mine is complete with the wiring harness, erasure plug, and the download cable. I have a bit of extra cable and a serial cable crimper. You could buy mine and his and have two functional units pretty easily. Mine is the key, though...

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151932501296

Mine is complete with the wiring harness, erasure plug, and the download cable. I have a bit of extra cable and a serial cable crimper. You could buy mine and his and have two functional units pretty easily. Mine is the key, though...

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151932501296

Yup,

That would be the way to go. Get both of them. I already have two antiques with a flyable Olsen and a questionable Mission Controller v2. The programming manual is dang near 100 pages on that one. Blew me away
with those funky worksheets. Kurt

If someone wants to tinker with getting the pair of IA-X96's working, pm me and we can work something out. I can help understand it, as well.

I'd love to know someone got it working!

Alrighty...who won this?

Me got it, he he he :neener:. I used the IA-X96 (and the IA-X95) many times back in the 90s and 2000s, I even used it to airstart :cool:.
It works fine but don't use the plugs, just replace them with switches. I use an "old" PC to connect and configure it.
There was a thread a long time ago about someone making a compliance board, e.g. so you would have simple terminal connections for each output, it can be done.

John

Me got it, he he he :neener:. I used the IA-X96 (and the IA-X95) many times back in the 90s and 2000s, I even used it to airstart :cool:.
It works fine but don't use the plugs, just replace them with switches. I use an "old" PC to connect and configure it.
There was a thread a long time ago about someone making a compliance board, e.g. so you would have simple terminal connections for each output, it can be done.

John

Interested in another?

Back