This Ebay item is too cool!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenECoyote

Well-roasted Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Marx Cape Canaveral Atomic Missile Set 4521, with Bomarc Mint in unopened box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marx-Cape-...659813?hash=item21089148a5:g:RecAAOSwL7VWmBp4

Comes with "Flying saucers"!!! Blow those aliens out of the sky with the Atomic Bomarc!!! :grin:

s-l1600.jpg

Real cool, from a time when boys were allowed to be boys.:wink:
What is interesting/confounding is: the "Warning for Choking " on the box.
I do not know exactly when these "warnings" started being put boxes, but I am sure it wasn't in the 50's or the 60's.
I guess I need to get a life, and stop thinking about stuff like this:facepalm:

The original box did not have the warning. However, nothing in the ad stated it was from the 50's or 60's. There is nothing confounding about the ad.

I had one of those back in around 1960. My little brother was none too happy when I launched that spring loaded rocket into his Fort Apache. Knocked down his walls and killed all his Calvary guys. The road to model rocketry was getting some new pavement with this toy.

The original box did not have the warning. However, nothing in the ad stated it was from the 50's or 60's. There is nothing confounding about the ad.
I thought it was from before 1964 since it is called CAPE CANAVERAL and not CAPE KENNEDY, my mistake. :facepalm:
Also, at my age any toy from the 70's is not a classic toy, since I turned 16 in 1970:wink:

I don't think warnings were required by law until 1994, and another auction shows the box with the end label which has the copyright date of 1996 on it. Not that the seller is trying to pull a fast one, just don't want someone to think it is older than it actually is.

Reissued around 1996 (copyright 1996) makes sense. I guess it's my old law enforcement training to notice little details. I am sorry if some thought I was being anal.

Nah, I think it's awesome to figure things out like that! We've got some really sharp people here! :)

Thanks Ken, I drives some of my friends crazy, for example we will be watching NFL network on the 68 season and I will tell my friends that a certain clip is from 1971, not 68, because a player is wearing equipment that wasn't available till 1970 and that player didn't switch to that equipment till 71. My aviation friends are much more appreciative. I noticed the lack of a dihedral on the 21st Century P-51s or the out of scale landing gear on the Franklin Mint/Armour dicast P-51s. So I have been called anal & that I have a "JC Complex".

Thanks Ken, I drives some of my friends crazy, for example we will be watching NFL network on the 68 season and I will tell my friends that a certain clip is from 1971, not 68, because a player is wearing equipment that wasn't available till 1970 and that player didn't switch to that equipment till 71. My aviation friends are much more appreciative. I noticed the lack of a dihedral on the 21st Century P-51s or the out of scale landing gear on the Franklin Mint/Armour dicast P-51s. So I have been called anal & that I have a "JC Complex".

I'm the same way (in a way). I think in very logical terms and often annoy the person next to me when I'm watching a movie and pointing out things that just don't make any sense. My work also asks for zero error and I have a knack for finding them (actually my side hobby/preoccupation is error reduction for what I deem important), so I think the ability to spot things that are out of place is a very valuable skill and in some cases can be critical in saving the situation. I actually spotted something mis-aligned on a rocketry item a few months back and notified the manufacturer - he was surprised and told me "Wow, in 12+ years this has never been noticed by us or any customer (as far as I know)!". The issue wasn't something likely to cause any major issue; however the item was fixed going forward.

Wow! I got this for Xmas when I was a kid.
My dad mounted it all on a sheet of painted plywood in the center. Traveling around the outside in a oval was the spank'n new Lionel train set "Cape Canaveral Xpress"! complete with flat bed mounted Nike missiles that were spring loaded & actually launched.

I even had the common sense to save the box the train came in. It was only a few years later they changed the name to Cape Kennedy. I still have the train set IN the original box.

Between me and my young buddies we pretty much destroyed the rest of it, playing very hard.
Shortly after this [1964?] , I got my first real rocket.........Estes kits & motors by ordering from an add in Popular Mechanics.
As a side note, I also got my first rifle....Marlin lever action 22. for 68.00, mail ordering it from add in Field & Stream.....ah, the good ole days!

Wow! I got this for Xmas when I was a kid.
My dad mounted it all on a sheet of painted plywood in the center. Traveling around the outside in a oval was the spank'n new Lionel train set "Cape Canaveral Xpress"! complete with flat bed mounted Nike missiles that were spring loaded & actually launched.

I even had the common sense to save the box the train came in. It was only a few years later they changed the name to Cape Kennedy. I still have the train set IN the original box.

Between me and my young buddies we pretty much destroyed the rest of it, playing very hard.
Shortly after this [1964?] , I got my first real rocket.........Estes kits & motors by ordering from an add in Popular Mechanics.
As a side note, I also got my first rifle....Marlin lever action 22. for 68.00, mail ordering it from add in Field & Stream.....ah, the good ole days!

Wow, one Christmas Santa brought me the Lionel "Minute Man" railroad car. After a few launches I got the ballistic trajectory down. I then used the curve track as a way of traversing and lined up a Christmas Ball on the tree. Well I was surprised to freaking out that it hit the ball (made out of glass) and shattered it. Very quickly I picked up the broken pieces and deposited the evidence in the neighbors trash can! The good ole days! Well except growing up in NYC no 22, not even a Red Rider!

While we're on a nostalgia trip, when I was in elementary school I would attend the annual fair where kids would donate toys and stuff and also use money to buy tickets to buy the same stuff. Mostly it was junk; however I happened upon a large metal carry case box that noted "Cape * Launch Base" (or something like that) and it was full of "scale-ish" plastic rockets! It was also at a steal of only a few tickets (same amount to buy two bags of popcorn back then). I got it home and it was simply unbelievable to me...opened up, the inside of the metal box was printed with a launch base and it also had rockets, gantries, vehicles, soldiers, etc. It was such a distant but fond memory for me. Now I get why I'm fascinated with rockets...however they're now costing me a bit more than two bags of popcorn. ;-)

ha ha. I clicked on one of the links above to see the parts and ended up on a link to purchase the BOX ONLY for $19.00. Kinda like driving down the road and pitchin $20's out the window...unless maybe you're one of those three ticket holders!

Back