Successful 75mm Aeropack retainer replacement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRxocet

Reaction score
After a successful launch and recovery of my 5.5" Nike Smoke last month, ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652926.515448.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652991.330542.jpg
I noticed when I got home and cleaned up the rocket for storage that it leaned about 15 degrees to one side. I looked at the retainer and cap and sure enough it had broken and wedged up onto the retainer body. After 1 email to Aeropack to see what could be done to fix it, Bob from Aeropack responded within 2 hours! I couldn't understand what I did wrong, the bird didn't land hard, didn't land on concrete or a rock or anything like that. I was at a loss for sure. He put my mind at ease and said I was one of 2 lucky recipients of a defective retainer body that had a short dimension on the inner step. I had a new retainer body and cap in my possession free of charge within 48 hours.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452651995.164944.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652021.100903.jpg
Removing the old retainer was a breeze, in fact the whole process of replacing was less than 10 minutes, except the JB cure of course.
Cut a straight line the length of the entire body down to the JB. Inserted a flathead screwdriver into the slot and twist...Presto...it pops off!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652199.502453.jpg
Changed to a 60 grit sanding drum to remove the old JB, and prep for new retainer.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652372.194055.jpg
Cleaned the new retainer threads with acetone, fresh JB, and I'm back in business!ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452652469.445650.jpg
I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this replacement process, but I was truly amazed by how simple it was.
Thoroughly impressed by how Aeropack handled the situation. True professionals, superior products, American made, outstanding customer service. They stand behind their product. Some may scoff at the price, but for me, I won't put any other retainer on a HPR. Also of note, even when the retainer "broke"...it still did its job and held everything together. Thanks Bob, and thanks to Aeropack.

Nice work! I have not tried this yet but good to know once a rocket is destroyed still having the retainer on. I love Aeropack retainers

Glad to hear there was a quick resolution on AeroPack's part. I had a similar experience: 75/98mm adapter would not tighten against the motor. Email reply to my inquiry was surprisingly fast, and the replacement part promptly received. I could use another brand, but... Won't. By me, they did right.

Later!

--Coop

He put my mind at ease and said I was one of 2 lucky recipients of a defective retainer body that had a short dimension on the inner step.

Hah, hello there!

You were definitely the lucky one as mine started off half way countersunk into a near minimum diameter rocket. Getting rid of it was a slow and careful process, and it left me without enough motor mount tube to glue a new one. Thankfully installing a thrust plate let me easily install the flanged version.

I too remain a loyal Aeropack customer.

He put my mind at ease and said I was one of 2 lucky recipients of a defective retainer body that had a short dimension on the inner step. I had a new retainer body and cap in my possession free of charge within 48 hours.

I'm the other one... purchased a 75 and 38 mm retainer in May, 2015 from RW with Double Shot Kit. Found defect, reported, and received replacement in June. Same story as you, after flight sheared off 75 mm retainer. I used Wagner heat gun to pull mine off. Actually had to do this twice. The replacement retainer body was also defective and shear when I tested. The next replacement was from new batch and is still working.

Back