RC RMS cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Stupid question...

I just looked at the cost of a 24mm RC case. It's about $90 - twice the price of a "normal" 24mm RMS case. Is there any way to use a reload for the RC case in the non-RC case? I've got a top closure that was ruined by blow-by. It could easily be converted to a plugged closure.

Not without making the motor into something uncertified. You could do it, but until AT says that's an approved use (plugging the forward closure of a normal 24mm RMS case) then you'd be outside the safety codes.

kj

As I said in the other post, you can try rocketarium which lists them at $57 or try bay area rocketry which said he'd do something under $60...

Frank

You mean this:

ac44gVTWgbkNmS7-VyczivIavR0EsANhCtFEQnDz4mUCfV8sx2tol13CwLrmsR9h3D  6O17-VyXXi96RsCOGP6H8QwaLN8IJMHRnrMDVLzRkIoghmwedeSqX_K  02rYPGSgQNmtGTu9NKhlj0OdKwA3zfH--_IcDeDuKZHNVwCsjL4T-yEtd79PfmwOgpJ2Id4Hxl-czNKevQ9U-O0Qn1p-UBu-ysAVKLqOID2rjRuo_dItyFh7d9cku6kv2KbjTAqL9pnnrL825X  5XatD1YE-CJbVCE5Nb56c-AzandAVStoOO4_9A96vr3Xd76hyZW8sbErT5mfrF725qpEiFNh  __-wuyqf6IbxaiBukpdiZ9WIw0tLZ7LTaPEY9MmvlAfaQraJ7fBZX  d3zQLHgQ2xmTRP_95x-k-0MEJ4XyMN4UHtdYO6OrCqiZGzlGcQycCNNG_4bFtlDZSUYMKej  gb2Z6Bi8DEfWa3qx35mc6eUEJp_V8zNFNP8TsohBWganVJmJXB  v0oHoZsm9Ei-cR0w-nidUijSmdg1bEF4TmDzQhUbNTHAJtjwunAagP2Ej8TGqXZoX3H  QA=w1234-h925-no

Yeah, it's pricey no doubt but well worth it in my view:

[video=youtube;fpt6Ck49zDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpt6Ck49zDk[/video]

Flight courtesy of Tom B. of the Dallas Area Rocket Society.

If you're interested in anything then just let me know; pre order deals can be worked :).

Last edited:
Stupid question...

I just looked at the cost of a 24mm RC case. It's about $90 - twice the price of a "normal" 24mm RMS case. Is there any way to use a reload for the RC case in the non-RC case? I've got a top closure that was ruined by blow-by. It could easily be converted to a plugged closure.

I agree it is a pricey case. There is a good reason, though. The 24mm RMS RC case is machined from one slug of aluminum, with the end closure machined in place. Far more work than a normal case and separate end closure.

One reason it is done this way is to keep it very light for use in s8e type RC rocket gliders.

Tom, I used to believe that the RC case was lighter, but in fact it is exactly the same weight as the normal case with closures. However you don't have the weight of the delay element in the load but it's really a few grams different, and it is shorter, I thought for competition they actually use the single use E-6 since it is lighter..

I thought for competition they actually use the single use E-6 since it is lighter..

For S8 at the WSMC, we use a single use motor because the FAI rules don't allow for reloads. The motors are E4-P rather than E6's, but close enough that we can practice with the E6 loads.

kj

Don't physically plug it, just leave out powder.

The RC reloads don't have an ejection charge. The endcap needs to be plugged because otherwise 1) the engine would continuously vent, reducing chamber pressure and performance, and 2) what it would be venting is *fire*, usually not a good thing for the inside of the body tube.

Tom, I used to believe that the RC case was lighter, but in fact it is exactly the same weight as the normal case with closures. However you don't have the weight of the delay element in the load but it's really a few grams different, and it is shorter, I thought for competition they actually use the single use E-6 since it is lighter..

Hmmm. I was told it was lighter. Interesting.

I know it is not typically used in competition, but it is typically used in practice sessions for S8E due to the lower cost per flight.

That kit looks familiar:) It's nice to see it in action.....

Frank

You mean this:

Yeah, it's pricey no doubt but well worth it in my view:

Flight courtesy of Tom B. of the Dallas Area Rocket Society.

If you're interested in anything then just let me know; pre order deals can be worked :).

Back