BlackStar - looking for feedback

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
Call this a sort of sorry tribute to David Bowie. I set about about designing this last night after news of his death spread; the name is, of course, taken from the last album and seemed fitting for a rocket. Anyway, here's the design as it stands:

23709705883_333660e326_b.jpg

24310347856_0ea07aa36b_c.jpg
24228315862_9fd293ba75_c.jpg

I wish Rocksim would allow exporting an image of the top view as well as side and rear, though I guess I could do it as a 3D view. Anyway, the rocket has twin 29mm mounts, intended to fly on BP motors. There is a sort of unique design feature where the motor tubes protrude out through an extended boat tail. The boat tail itself is intended to be a 3D printed part. The forward body, wings and fins are black, whereas the main body and pods I am imagining covering is aluminum foil tape to give a bare metal look. I'm picturing having some sort of windscreen and side window decals on cone and forward tube. Black Star decals on the main body tube and wings would be patterned after the album cover, which is pretty simple itself. That, and maybe pilot/copilot script on the sides of the cone as the obvious Maj. Tom & Z. Stardust. Past that, I'm not sure what would make a suitable tribute, so I'm looking for ideas and feedback in general.

Thoughts?

I like it. The rear end is interesting, still trying to decide if I'd prefer the two engines to be side-by-side but the way you have it is more unusual.

You have gotten a lot farther than I have already. Love the design. David Bowie was one of my favorite entertainers with both Ziggy Stardust and Space Oddity in my top 10 albums and Labyrinth in the top 10 movies for me. Had the idea to do a design, but had not gotten to it yet.

Love to design you have come up with. I am going to go in a bit of a different direction so maybe we can compare at the end of the build.

Back