Binder Design Terrordactyl Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafael

Reaction score
So I started my build a few days ago.

First step was filling and sanding the spirals.
WP_20160112_06_45_19_Pro__highres.jpg
Glued thrust ring and added notches for fins , glued A/V Bay lids and added rocketry nuts
WP_20160110_16_07_48_Pro.jpgWP_20160111_14_11_10_Pro__highres.jpg
Put a small edge on the fins
WP_20160111_11_08_29_Pro__highres.jpg
Cut small opening on centering ring for shock cord which I folded and sewed then glued down with JB weld
WP_20160111_13_25_54_Pro__highres.jpg
Cut small tabs off body tube to slide out motor tube and fins after all fins are tacked down with JB Weld in order to install supplied fin support rings
WP_20160111_17_09_16_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160111_21_30_48_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160112_06_37_52_Pro__highres.jpg
So far I have encountered no problems, the quality of this kit is great.

My plan was to build the motor mount and fins assembly externally (including distributing the arc struts along the fin root), then sliding the whole thing into the aft end.

My plan was to build the motor mount and fins assembly externally (including distributing the arc struts along the fin root), then sliding the whole thing into the aft end.
I was thinking to do the same but thought the way I did it was easier.

Fin braces going on
WP_20160112_11_51_09_Pro__highres.jpg

Oh, this looks like it could be Fun... I'm in! :pop:

Last edited:
Started laying down some fillets on the fin braces and fin roots
WP_20160112_14_04_59_Pro__highres.jpg

In case anyone else bought the 54mm version of this kit and is wondering about the notched rings that are pictured.....I upgraded these for this special ordered 75mm.

Great looking build so far. I can't decide if I want a Velociraptor or a Terrordactyl after I finish my Tyrannosaur. (I'm sure Mike would be happy to sell me both.) Too many dinosaurs, too little time!

Last edited:
Thank you Chris Attebery for the quick shipping of my motor retainer. Now I can move on to the next step.

WP_20160114_12_13_50_Pro__highres.jpg

Last edited:
Thrust ring painted, drilled, attached and JB welded into place. Tomorrow I will add attachment points for rail buttons then epoxy motor tube and fins into air-frame.
WP_20160114_16_00_59_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160114_22_46_23_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20160115_17_39_50_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160116_11_34_17_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160119_16_24_46_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160119_16_24_10_Pro__highres.jpg
Finally got around to epoxying assembly into air frame and laying down filet's. All the internal filet's were done with G5000 epoxy including the fin braces,fin roots were done with JB weld but decided to go with elmer's wood glue max for external filet's. Next step is to work on e bay.

My 2 year old daughter crack a blurry eye this morning and said " That really cool!" She wants to know what color if your going to paint it.

My 2 year old daughter crack a blurry eye this morning and said " That really cool!" She wants to know what color if your going to paint it.

I am going to use hammered brown for the air frame and hammered copper for the nosecone and fins and I might try and airbrush eyes into the nosecone.
WP_20160120_16_23_10_Pro__highres.jpg

Awesome! You are coming along nicely. I notice you attached the upper talons right up against the lower fin set. You might gain some extra strength that way. Normally those are 1" up from the lower set for anyone else building one and referencing your build thread.

Awesome! You are coming along nicely. I notice you attached the upper talons right up against the lower fin set. You might gain some extra strength that way. Normally those are 1" up from the lower set for anyone else building one and referencing your build thread.
Thanks Mike, and yes I decided to but up the talons against fins to gain more strength. Update on rocket, 2 coats of minwax sanding sealer in and out and added expanding foam into nosecone with a tube in the middle for a tracker.
WP_20160121_11_23_13_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160121_21_44_36_Pro__highres.jpg

Is the purpose of the foam to strengthen the nose cone or simply to mount the tube? Are you planning to reinforce the airframe?

Looking great.

Is the purpose of the foam to strengthen the nose cone or simply to mount the tube? Are you planning to reinforce the airframe?

Looking great.
As far as the foam I did it to add a bit of weight and strength. The only reinforcing I am doing to the airframe is the minwax sanding sealer which unbelievably adds a considerable amount of stiffness.

I'll second the minwax as "poor man's phenolic". I took an old wrapping paper tube (which are really flimsy, btw), filled the seams with CWF, sanded, and sealed it all with minwax. It came out really stiff and strong! The frame took an Estes F15-8 no problem.

Landing in a tree was a problem, though. Are there any anti-tree sealers? :p

Mark
NAR#: 100890
(getting my Excel plus 54 in the mail today! I think...)

My goal in this project is to do my L3 on tube and plywood. Hopefully I will have success.

I do wish you luck, but as a kit manufacturer I do not recommend it. Make sure to get input from your TAP. I'd recommend a wrap or two of glass on the AF for M motors, and those fins may be prone to flutter at the velocity that an M motor will generate.

My goal in this project is to do my L3 on tube and plywood. Hopefully I will have success.

A 4in. paper rocket & ply fins + a baby M = DISASTER!

Don't even think about it, listen to Mike. Just 2 wraps of glass & glass on fins will = success.
I am saying this as a TAP who has witnessed 3 different attempts, even with full length couplers epoxied inside.
Save yourself the disappointment & loss of money. Anything paper, getting close to mach .8 regime will not handle the transition.

I would not sign off on the attempt.

Last edited:
In case anyone else bought the 54mm version of this kit and is wondering about the notched rings that are pictured.....I upgraded these for this special ordered 75mm.

Mike, can I ask what the going rate is for the kit as shown in this thread? There are some techniques in play here I would like to try.

Last edited:
Back