OpenRocket Source Code Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinshap1

Reaction score
Has anybody taken a look at the source code? Specifically the area that deals with flight simulation? I'm having trouble finding it on github, and I'd like to use it to base a dispersion analysis tool. Or at least hand it to a team to work on. The other option is for our dispersion guy to learn java and try to make a plugin to run multiple simulations while injecting errors into the vehicle properties.

You mean like Monte Carlo analysis? Then, yes, you need a way to batch up hundreds/thousands of simulations.

You may be able to use commercial 3rd party optimizers that can hook into OR and control the batch processes. The ork file is human readable (XML, I think, just like RockSim), so some scripting to interface with the optimizers can work. iSight and ModeFrontier are popular commercial engineering software to do this. There is probably an open source version out there, as well.

I have the project in Eclipse. Just import a new project using Import/Git/Projects from Git/Clone URI/ then use git://github.com/openrocket/openrocket.git for the URI
You can look under net.sf.openrocket.simulation.*, net.sf.openrocket.models.*, net.sf.openrocket.aerodynamics.*, for starters.

It's a really large project, I was going to tinker with adding 3D visualization to the sims, but it's way beyond me at this point.

Good luck. Better option may be to have your dispersion guy learn Java. It's not hard IMO.

I have the project in Eclipse. Just import a new project using Import/Git/Projects from Git/Clone URI/ then use git://github.com/openrocket/openrocket.git for the URI
You can look under net.sf.openrocket.simulation.*, net.sf.openrocket.models.*, net.sf.openrocket.aerodynamics.*, for starters.

It's a really large project, I was going to tinker with adding 3D visualization to the sims, but it's way beyond me at this point.

Good luck. Better option may be to have your dispersion guy learn Java. It's not hard IMO.

Our dispersion guy isn't an expert, just a student plugged into it to help delegate responsibilities.

And thanks for the links to the file locations :)

Back