RIP Ziggy Stardust... David Bowie Dead at 69

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's all over facebook, David Bowie died today following a 18 month battle with cancer. I can't think of all his songs right now, and how so many of them touched my life. I do know that my rocketry was partially funded by the art that he along with Jim Henson inspired in me. Thanks to Labyrinth, I learned how to juggle, and make balloon animals. Between those two skills, I managed to eek out enough cash to help pay for rent, rockets, food, and my schooling.

Thanks David for the memories.

Rest In Peace.

Godspeed.

[video=youtube;iYYRH4apXDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo[/video]

Last edited:
That was the first thing I heard when I turned on the car (and thus radio) this morning. I guess he turned 69 on Friday, officially released Blackstar (his 25th album), then passed over the weekend. Its hard to think of anyone more musically creative.

What a great Rocker....I saw/went to all 4 of his tours back in the day 60's-70's. Ziggy Stardust.....Diamond Dogs... All the Young Dudes...can't remember other.
Great music, great showmanship, great era & times. An innovator, always on the cutting edge.

I'll never forget when he did the live version on Major Tom, theater went black, song begins...lights come up & he's "floating" in a space capsule high above the crowd during entire song, finally leaving the capsule and disappears into "space" at the end.

What a showman till the send. You will be missed. Can't believe his passing was not mentioned on any news channels over the weekend.
Semper Fly. R.I.P.

Sounds pretty cool. And now we get Justin Bieber. :puke:
David Bowie, you will be missed along with all of the other inovators, like Freddy Mercury.

Bieber you will not be missed, at all, for any reason. Can't wait to see you implode! Oh wait, you already did:lol:.

I never saw him live but have enjoyed his art for almost 50 years. RIP

From Simon Pegg (though lots of folks seem to be saying/repeating it, so the true source is debatable):
"If you're sad today, just remember that the world is over 4 billion years old, and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie".

s6

From Simon Pegg (though lots of folks seem to be saying/repeating it, so the true source is debatable):
"If you're sad today, just remember that the world is over 4 billion years old, and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie".

s6

Great quote no matter who said it first.

1976 was my year to remember, I saw David Bowie, Paul McCartney/Wings, and the Grateful Dead at the Capital Center in Landover MD. We would make the 6hr drives from college to see the shows then drove back - tag teaming drivers in an old van.

Ah, those were the days...

Chris Hadfield's playing and singing aboard ISS was fantastic (the video that JStarStar posted). Saw that several times over the years.

A bit more down to Earth, this tribute using one guitarist and over 500 voices. The group "Choir! Choir! Choir!", at the Art Gallery of Ontario (Canada). Performance begins at 1:10 into the video.

[video=youtube;cKg1_fKO1sY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKg1_fKO1sY[/video]

Last edited:
Back