Trouble installing OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently tried to install Open Rocket in my new pc. I can't get it to open because it's a .jar file. None of the apps I have for zip files work. Is there a special app I need to open it?

Yep, .jar is a type of executable not an archive you need to download and install the latest version of Java to run it.

I had a similar problem on my new (Windows 10) computer. First, after installing Java, I had to use the command prompt. Now, somehow or other, I am able to open OpenRocket by right-clicking on the icon and selecting "Open with" Java (TM) Platform SE Binary. Simply double-clicking on it doesn't seem to work. I have to right-click, but I can at least use it.

See the thread here.

hmm, when I did something like that(open *.wad file w/ gzdoom) winders10 gives me the option(tick box) to always use this app to open .wad files. all I have to do is double click and I'm playing DooM, likewise have OR set the same way(using java instead of doom :)).
Rex

Thanks. I do have java installed, but my pc won't let me use it as an option to open. I tried using the command prompt and typed exactly what they showed on the open rocket site, but just got an error. Any other ideas? Never had this problem with my old pc with Windows 7. Now all I have is a pc with Windows 8 and one with Windows 10. I miss my Windows 7 pc.��

Do you have the most current version of Java installed? I just upgraded from WIN 8.1 to WIN 10 and don't have any problems with OR.

All I want to do is to be able to OPEN OpenRocket so I can try it out! I've got the current Java release (1.8.0_73-b02) but I cant get past the opening logo... I'm not the computer genius I used to be, and nothing I've tried has allowed me to get it to open. This is definitely frustrating! And when I try to use a cmd prompt to open it, I get this little gift:
OpenRocket fatal error.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been able to even get past the Open Rocket pop up when I click the download file. Keeps bringing me an error. Says "Runtime Exception: Error starting OpenRocket." I try to send the bug to the developers then says "Server responded with code 404 instead of 202." And proceeds to close itself. Even with multiple downloads this happens.

I haven't been able to even get past the Open Rocket pop up when I click the download file. Keeps bringing me an error. Says "Runtime Exception: Error starting OpenRocket." I try to send the bug to the developers then says "Server responded with code 404 instead of 202." And proceeds to close itself. Even with multiple downloads this happens.
Have you tried one of the packaged installers?

Back