OpenRocket - Mass Component Does Not Affect Rocket CG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am modeling a rocket in OpenRocket, and I added a "Mass Component" near the bottom of my rocket (well below rocket CG), and I have a few questions:

1. When no motor is loaded, adding the "Mass Component," no matter how heavy and no matter in what location, the rocket CG does not move at all.
2. When any motor is loaded, adding the "Mass Component" near the bottom of the rocket (many inches below the rocket CG) moves the rocket CG UP!

Am I missing something obvious here? I would really appreciate any guidance, especially because I am trying to fine-tune my stability right now.

Thanks!
Bryce

1) Is this a RocSim .rkt file you downloaded? If so did you save it as a .rkt after modifying? If you did OpenRocket won't save the mod.

2) Did you remove the master stage overrides, anywhere you see a blue CG symbol means that some thing is overriden, and a common one is at the very top of the design parts "tree" it says "Stage" if you click on that then the edit, you will probably find that the whole stage has been overridden so any change you make further down the tree doesn't have any effect.

3) Whenever using a downloaded RocSim file its a good idea to go through and remove all overrides since your built rocket will have its own and they most likely will be different.

4) Sometimes OR seems to not work correctly/update with respect to changing the CG and CP when on the build screen (where rocket is shown and CG/CP appear in upper right corner), save the file and restart OR will fix that, my guess is that #2 is the reason for your troubles.

Please share the file when asking questions then we can look at it and maybe help you better.

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the quick response. #2 was indeed the culprit. The file started as a downloaded file from Public Missiles, and I never noticed the CG override built into the "Stage" part of the tree. Anyways, it all works as expected now.

Thanks again!
Bryce

Latest posts

Back