Legality of launching rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google can be a great place to find all sorts of information, do you not use it when looking for answers? On that note I've done more searching and it seems the knitting death numbers don't have any reliable sources to back it up that I can find, might be an internet made quote. So I do apologize for using a source without properly researching it that is a dumb thing to do.

My sources were Google and Stephen Fry.

then distance would be a factor. Way too close.
Yes I definitely was to close which I wont do again. I'm confused by what saying this has to do with the quote of me you used? (something seems off about my grammar in that last sentance but I'm not sure what)

Yes I definitely was to close which I wont do again. I'm confused by what saying this has to do with the quote of me you used? (something seems off about my grammar in that last sentance but I'm not sure what)

I was just being cheeky there. :) It was about the knitting statistic. I've brought up the knitting thing before, and it's true that it might not be accurate. But the first place I heard that wasn't the Internet. It was something Stephen Fry said on a panel show.

So, when the accident occurred, I googled "death by knitting" and found several places that said "about two per year."

But, it doesn't really matter how many knitting accidents there are. The thing I think it's important to remember, and the point I was trying to make by bringing up knitting, is that there is no such thing as a 100% safe activity, yet rocketry has a 58 year history of incredible safety. So, when the accident occurred and people were saying "this is the end of model rocketry!" my feelings were, "well, no, it probably isn't."

I had wondered what had happened to your rocket sleds?

Not to throw a pipe wrench in the spin cycle, but if this is done on your private land, or have permission to use others, you obviously assume all liability, correct?

I have a feeling I am going to get flamed for the next few statements. Relax, I'm speaking -hypothetically- ....

Say someone were to normally follow the *NAR guide lines as far as safety are concerned, but was not a *NAR member. If they're not a member, choose not to follow them, and on their own private property, then technically they're not breaking the rules?

*NAR, CAR, TWA, etc..

(Assuming local, state and federal laws are not broken)

(Ducks for cover)

Last edited:
Rocket cars are being launched in both the US and Canada. They modelling their experiences from Cambridge Englands rocket car challenge which is a national competition for the last 10 years. No, it's not a violation.

Its important to remember that using something in a manner for which it wasn't designed can be illegal. I'm simply pointing
this fact out, not implying this is the case.

Agreed. Besides our laws are a little bit 'stricter' then our friends down south but in this case, it's justified. Heck we freak out if we hear fireworks even a day or two after Halloween :)

Just my 2¢:

1) Too close to the sleds at motor ignition. Use longer leads so you can be at least 5 metres away.
2) The sleds were too slow to cause any damage, apart from destroying themselves.
3) If the municipality has bylaws restricting activities performed on green spaces then you may be in violation. If your municipality doesn't have bylaws related to that, then you're OK.
4) Estes has been selling rocket propelled cars for eons. They always recommend a guide wire.
5) If you are not in violation of municipality bylaws and you clean up your mess then the TRF member that is complaining can go hide in a corner and do something to him/her self.

Back