How to paper 1/4" ply fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man noffie you've been hard at work, very nice,, :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks! Two things I forgot to do were filling the spirals on the BT, which I could still do I guess, and use the clay to shape the fine details in front of and behind the fins like yours. I'm sure it'll still end up looking just fine however. But not as great as yours!

so noffie79, how did she turn out? you take out your Father in-law out to fly her?
pictures,, pictures LOL

Well, I had so many projects going on at one time, my L2 included, that this took a back seat to the rest. I put the clay epoxy fillets on, but still haven't sanded them down. When I start the project back up, I'll share some pictures.

I'm designing a scale nose cone for the Seawolf, so if anyone has a schematic I'de like to view it.
I can base the transitions on the pictures I have, but it is always funner to have a drawing of your project to make a poster out of for working from.

Started working on this again. Added 20 oz. of steel ball bearings mixed with RocketPoxy in the NC. Also added the bulkhead to the NC. Not exactly sure at the moment what the weight of the NC is, but I did check the CG with a CTI I297. That's a 5 grain, 38mm motor. With those big fins, and that much weight, doing a balancing act with two fingers is a chore. But, the epoxy probably added ~2-3 oz, and I had pretty damn close to 1 cal stability without the epoxy and bulkhead. I'm comfortable with that, not to mention I'll have a good sized 44' LOC Angel chute in front of the CP. Now I just need to sand all those fillets down, cover with wood filler, then prime and paint white. I'm going to pick up the vinyl set from Mark at Stickershock to finish it. I'd say in the next week it'll be finished.

Started working on this again. Added 20 oz. of steel ball bearings mixed with RocketPoxy in the NC. Also added the bulkhead to the NC. Not exactly sure at the moment what the weight of the NC is, but I did check the CG with a CTI I297. That's a 5 grain, 38mm motor. With those big fins, and that much weight, doing a balancing act with two fingers is a chore. But, the epoxy probably added ~2-3 oz, and I had pretty damn close to 1 cal stability without the epoxy and bulkhead. I'm comfortable with that, not to mention I'll have a good sized 44' LOC Angel chute in front of the CP. Now I just need to sand all those fillets down, cover with wood filler, then prime and paint white. I'm going to pick up the vinyl set from Mark at Stickershock to finish it. I'd say in the next week it'll be finished.

I just posted this, maybe you can modify to work with your cone? might save the many BB's and epoxy, and make it adjustable so you can match the motor..

hope it helps

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?134289-MadCow-4-quot-Patriot-weight

fm

Last edited:
I just posted this, maybe you can modify to work with your cone? might save the many BB's and epoxy, and make it adjustable so you can match the motor..

hope it helps

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?134289-MadCow-4-quot-Patriot-weight

fm

I did see that thread. Nice work! But I've already poured the epoxy with the ball bearings. My NC weighs in at 2.2 pounds. And after running numbers on OR, I'm at 1.3 cal. on almost the biggest motor I'll fly it on. So, if I fly it on a tad bit bigger motor, I'll be dead on as far as stability.

Haven't made much progress lately. A lot of sanding needs to be done on the fillets, and I despise sanding. I'll pick this project up again sometime soon.

Flying seasons coming Ryan, I hope to see some of your new goodies fly this fall

I built mine with Titebond wood glue and 5 min epoxy on the motor mount, no internal fillets or other fancy stuff. Flew it at Hartsel CO (8,000 ft above Sea Level) on an I 260 Medium with the delay cut down a bit, the biggest, awesomest motor I have ever flown.:) Nice whistle as it went up. Got a small zipper so I probably should have left the delay alone at that altitude. No other damage, the wood glue held up fine. All stock components from the Xmas sale package. It needs at least a "260" punch as it is a heavy little tank and needs to get moving off the rail. Secured the epoxy Copperhead BB mixed nose weight with a drywall screw. I filled in the gaps under the rear fin plywood mounts with tube bondo. Two heavy coats of primer sanded and multiple coats of white paint and the fins were smooth. Lots of electrical tape striping and black vinyl letters from Office Depot. Used well nuts to secure the rail buttons. A nice light sand and the paint stuck good to the nose cone, but it will still flake of if it gets a good bang.

I built mine with Titebond wood glue and 5 min epoxy on the motor mount, no internal fillets or other fancy stuff. Flew it at Hartsel CO (8,000 ft above Sea Level) on an I 260 Medium with the delay cut down a bit, the biggest, awesomest motor I have ever flown.:) Nice whistle as it went up. Got a small zipper so I probably should have left the delay alone at that altitude. No other damage, the wood glue held up fine. All stock components from the Xmas sale package. It needs at least a "260" punch as it is a heavy little tank and needs to get moving off the rail. Secured the epoxy Copperhead BB mixed nose weight with a drywall screw. I filled in the gaps under the rear fin plywood mounts with tube bondo. Two heavy coats of primer sanded and multiple coats of white paint and the fins were smooth. Lots of electrical tape striping and black vinyl letters from Office Depot. Used well nuts to secure the rail buttons. A nice light sand and the paint stuck good to the nose cone, but it will still flake of if it gets a good bang.

Nice! Mine is completely built, I just need to sand my external fillets before priming/painting. I hate sanding with a passion, and those are big fillets. I got the decal set from Stickershock, so once the white paint is on, it won't take long. I'm just dreading all of the sanding ahead. Lol

Lots of sanding but it is a big sport scale rocket and must look its best. It will be worth it in the end. Just have to get the right combo of motor and delay given the conditions. If I were to do it again I would look at installing an anti zipper foam ball and maybe giving the upper tube edge a bit of reinforcement with CA. The Sea Wolf is so heavy they always look great at launch with a big flame, red or green, and all that power just being soaked up by the nose weight. Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!

Lots of sanding but it is a big sport scale rocket and must look its best. It will be worth it in the end. Just have to get the right combo of motor and delay given the conditions. If I were to do it again I would look at installing an anti zipper foam ball and maybe giving the upper tube edge a bit of reinforcement with CA. The Sea Wolf is so heavy they always look great at launch with a big flame, red or green, and all that power just being soaked up by the nose weight. Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!

I agree. I added about 1 1/2 pounds of weight to the NC. I'll definitely be adding CA to the top of the body tube. I'm thinking about shoving the I540 I have in the business end. Should make for an exciting flight!

Back