Maryland/Delaware Rocketry Association Eastern Shore Launch 211 Jan. 16-17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
If you don't mind cold and like a 17k' waiver, come on out to ESL 211 at the Higgs Farm in Price, MD.

I am planning to launch my recently recovered RW X-Celerator (Sky Burner) on an L935. Estes MDRM on an H140. Estes Leviathan with PW Cable Cutter on a G125. MAC Performance Scorpion on a J354 (I think). And for silly fun, my Aerotech G-Force on an F120 VMAX to a whopping 350'.

Weather looks to be great for a January.
LWeath.jpg

350 ft on a f120 vmax? I think that motor has a 14 sec delay. Are you going to be able to drill that delay grain enough for it to deploy before it hits the ground?

350 ft on a f120 vmax? I think that motor has a 14 sec delay. Are you going to be able to drill that delay grain enough for it to deploy before it hits the ground?

If you don't mind cold and like a 17k' waiver, come on out to ESL 211 at the Higgs Farm in Price, MD.

I am planning to launch my recently recovered RW X-Celerator (Sky Burner) on an L935. Estes MDRM on an H140. Estes Leviathan with PW Cable Cutter on a G125. MAC Performance Scorpion on a J354 (I think). And for silly fun, my Aerotech G-Force on an F120 VMAX to a whopping 350'.

Weather looks to be great for a January.
View attachment 279310

I would highly recommend electronic deploy for a low flight like that. I flew my BAR Crayons to 500' and the parachute barely deployed before it hit the ground on a 4 second delay (shortest the AT delay could be drilled). One went 5 seconds and the body hit the ground destroying the air frame, the NC came in under parachute that deployed at 20'.

You have inspired me to try a low altitude flight just for the fun of it. I think I'm going to try flying my 4.6 lb Porsche DX3 on a 1 grain G115 White Thunder. That's just enough average thrust to pass the 5:1 rule. It sims at 550 ft at 5.3 seconds. It isn't dual deploy but if I drill the 13 second delay to 6 seconds that should do it. We'll see what the RSO says.

You have inspired me to try a low altitude flight just for the fun of it. I think I'm going to try flying my 4.6 lb Porsche DX3 on a 1 grain G115 White Thunder. That's just enough average thrust to pass the 5:1 rule. It sims at 550 ft at 5.3 seconds. It isn't dual deploy but if I drill the 13 second delay to 6 seconds that should do it. We'll see what the RSO says.

Be prepared for a very exciting flight, mine were on a G76G and a G64W and both times the chute was ejected under 50' and the rocket weigh about 4lbs. Might also be a good idea to use a short recovery harness. At 25' mine where just long enough that the airframe slammed into the ground on the first flight but the chute was ok, and the second the chute barely deployed in time to keep the rocket from harm. The red Crayon is totalled, the kink in the BT is just below/at a parachute shelf/recovery harness attachment point and the fins are ruined, due to the construction method on these rockets repair really wasn't an option. All three flights had a Missleworks RRC3 along for the ride, the pink crayons first flight was my L1 on a H123W. I highly recommend using electronic deployment on heavy MPR rockets to lower altitudes.

CrayonBanksAfterFlight1.jpgCrayonBanksAfterFlight2.jpg

If it's Bob, we know what he'll say. :wink:

According to ThrustCurve, optimal delay is 4 sec. According to Pro38, it is drillable down to 5 sec. I'll drill it down to 5 sec. and scrape a tiny bit more out and hope for the best.

According to ThrustCurve, optimal delay is 4 sec. According to Pro38, it is drillable down to 5 sec. I'll drill it down to 5 sec. and scrape a tiny bit more out and hope for the best.

Oh, and I did it once before at URRF II. Excellent recovery!

And don't forget this is the annual Christmas Tree Launch Weekend. If you're not flying one, at least come out to see the Carnage!

As of now, Saturday is looking to be sunny with high visibility, but with (once again) high winds (15 mph). Here's hoping the wind dies down a bit. Eastern Shore weather changes every five minutes.

But high winds do not really impact Christmas tree flights, so everything is good! I might go this weekend as it has been forever and a day since I have launched anything (damn kids sucking up my money for college)!

Saturday - Sunny, warm, but high winds.

Sunday - colder, low cloud cover, calm.

High altitude flights should aim for Saturday. Low altitude will have better winds on Sunday.

I really wanted to go to this one.....
I've got to much junk to do....

Teddy

I'm going Saturday with some mid power rockets I have yet to fly. I plan on keeping them pretty low so s little wind is not that bad.

It was not too bad yesterday. Pretty windy which kept many of the higher flights on the ground. When I was there, 1 L, a few I-K and a bunch of mid to low power. Still had fun. Only three christmas trees for the drag race and only two went up. The third had an igniter issue, but I left before it went up.

Paid my launch fee, prepped my Frenzy XL with a K454, got it RSO approved, then the snow started. I never flew anything. Now I have a Frenzy upstairs in my shop still ready to fly including deployment charges with igniters. I'm thinking that I should probably at least disconnect the igniters from the terminal blocks. It's going to be sitting there for a month.

I think I'll also remove the shear pins so that I can unpack the parachute.

Last edited:
It was not too bad yesterday. Pretty windy which kept many of the higher flights on the ground. When I was there, 1 L, a few I-K and a bunch of mid to low power. Still had fun. Only three christmas trees for the drag race and only two went up. The third had an igniter issue, but I left before it went up.

I was the one L, and boy was that a mistake. After my X-Celerator sat in tree for three months, and I spent $300 to have it recovered, and then bought a new main chute, some quick-links, and a Slimline retainer ring, I decided to launch it on the L935 Saturday morning.

The sky was clear, the winds were probably at about 15 mph, but it is a heavy rocket even after burnout, and I thought it would be okay.

The flight was excellent -- did exactly what I hoped. But then after the apogee event, everyone lost sight of it. I had by BRB900 transmitter in it, so I plugged the coordinates into my navigator and took off to find it. I drove nearly a mile and a half, walked around a good bit, but never saw it. Later that afternoon, I walked back out there, this time entirely on foot. After walking for over an hour, it got dark and I gave up. I still had to walk back in the dark.

It's so frustrating, because I know it is out there on the ground somewhere. It has my $200 transmitter in it, a $55 altimeter, a CTI 6GXL case and rear closure, plus the chutes, hardware, and the rocket itself. I know I have about $800 lying on a farm out there.

Next month, I am going to devote more time and energy into finding it. If the landowners haven't thrown it in the garbage by then. :(

Update: yesterday I gave Bob the GPS coordinates and he is going to contact Tommy and see who owns the land. If the landowners are agreeable and can find it, they might hold it for me or give it to Tommy. Then again, they may think it makes a cool barn ornament.

Thanks, Dick.

Hope you get it back. Odds are good unless it is back on top of a tree.

Back