Painting Vinyl Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering some decals in the near future. They are not available in the color I need.

I'll be using 3 colors on my rocket. Silver, pearl white, and metallic purple. The silver can go on any color primer. The pearl white and metallic purple need to be laid on white primer since both are actually a little translucent.

The entire rocket will be getting a coat of clear as the final stage of painting before finally being buffed with a UV protectant wax.

With all this in mind, if my vinyl decals are white, is it possible to paint them purple before applying them? They will be getting clear coated either way. Is there really a difference between painting them and covering them with clear?

Last edited:
I'm going to ordering some decals in the near future. They are not available in the color I need.

I'll be using 3 colors on my rocket. Silver, pearl white, and metallic purple. The silver can go on any color primer. The pearl white and metallic purple need to be laid on white primer since both are actually a little translucent.

The entire rocket will be getting a coat of clear as the final stage of painting before finally being buffed with a UV protectant wax.

With all this in mind, if my vinyl decals are white, is it possible to paint them purple before applying them? They will be getting clear coated either way. Is there really a difference between painting them and covering them with clear?

Vinyl decal materials are a "Plastic". As such while you can paint them with just about any brush or spray applied paint. If you plan on masking and transferring them after painting you WILL need to use a Plastizier in what ever paint you use. This is because the Vinyl flexing will crack the dry paint film if a plastizer additive is not used. As such I'd strongly suggest using 1-Shot Lettering enamel with their plastizer additive. This will also ensure the purple used will be opaque over your white vinyl. Next time you plan on painting your vinyl I strongly suggest starting with Black Vinyl regardless of finish color choice.

Could you instead use paint mask decals, allowing you to paint the color you want, then remove them? Mark at Stickershock made the suggestion to me and it worked out really well..

Next time you plan on painting your vinyl I strongly suggest starting with Black Vinyl regardless of finish color choice.

The only issue with that is that since the purple is translucent, the base coat seriously, extremely, and drastically affects the outcome. I used the white version of this same paint on a grey primer base and got a very silver finish. Testing has proven that a white base produces the most true color.

Could you instead use paint mask decals, allowing you to paint the color you want, then remove them? Mark at Stickershock made the suggestion to me and it worked out really well..

Well, I'm not sure about that from a financial aspect. The rocket is a BD Velociraptor. I need the silver Velociraptor decal. And the decals come as a set. It seems a waste to have to pay for it twice.

In essence, I just wanted to be sure that what I proposed would work. That common enamel would successfully bond to the vinyl. I do welcome tips and advice, but not all desired results will allow the path offered. For instance, the purple I'm using is a Testor paint. I haven't found its equal in any other paint. I could probably get it mixed, but I'm not paying the cost for a pint of automotive paint, a spray gun, a compressor, etc.

Last edited:
I think what you want to do will work.

Clean the vinyl with isopropyl alcohol and scuff with a fine scotch pad then clean again with the alcohol.

The risk of chipping is before the vinyl is applied and can be flexed. However, this can be reduced by cutting and applying the vinyl as soon as possible before the paint cures. Don't paint it way in advance.

I am presuming that you are using a sign vinyl.

As always, do a test before going into production.

I'm not sure what grade vinyl it is. Mike over at Binder Design sells them as part of his kits.

My plan is to have the rocket 100% complete sans decals and clear coat. Paint the decals and let dry. Maybe 3 or 4 hours max. I want the paint dry but not fully cured. That should leave a moderate to light flex so I can remove the backing without chipping or crinkling. I was most concerned about the paint being able to bond.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what grade vinyl it is. Mike over at Binder Design sells them as part of his kits.

My plan is to have the rocket 100% complete sans decals and clear coat. Paint the decals and let dry. Maybe 3 or 4 hours max. I want the paint dry but not fully cured. That should leave a moderate to light flex so I can remove the backing without chipping or crinkling. I was most concerned about the paint being able to bond.

Really???
You'll lift the painted color off the vinyl with whatever is used to pre-space mask for your decals. Even if you try to lift and apply the individual pieces one at a time anywhere your tweezers or fingers hold the decal the uncured paint will seperate. Let the paint completely Cure before attempting to transfer to the model.
HEY! I was a Signman, doing this kind of thing for a living ALL the time.
As for the transluscent paints you are correct about the base color changing the final visual hue. However we're talking about Vinyl not the paint. If you apply transluscent white vinyl which you admit you have in hand. The base coat your rocket is painted will be transmitted thru the white Vinyl altering the finished apparence of the purple you are applying. On the other hand if one starts with an OPAQUE black vinyl you can either base coat the vinyl white before the purple is applied or Prime with a light grey or white primer prior to application of the purple. Either way you are going to need several light passing coats of the transparent Purple to get close to an even color. this is particularly ture if you are using a Candy Color?

+1. This is your best option. I'm sure Mike Fisher could do a paint mask for your Terrordactyl.

Perhaps try Lexan paint made for the interior of RC Car bodies? It's made to be flexible so the paint doesn't crack as the body flexes (up to a point)...not sure if it would work on vinyl though, so YMMV and test first (including any further clear coat).

The only issue with that is that since the purple is translucent, the base coat seriously, extremely, and drastically affects the outcome. I used the white version of this same paint on a grey primer base and got a very silver finish. Testing has proven that a white base produces the most true color.

Hey, what kind of paint were you using? I'm actually trying to accomplish a silver/chrome finish on my rocket that fades into a pearl white. This sounds like it might work for me. Thanks!

If you're going to paint vinyl with rattle can paint, you best go with very light coats. It can be done, but with some patience. I recently forgot about that little sign making rule when I painted my last set of vinyl striping. Rusto 2X pretty much destroyed my first attempt. They wrinkled like crazy. Practically melted them. I did a second go at it with 3 very light coats (1/2 hour between, or so) until the desired coverage was achieved.

I have no clue how you intend to remove the application tape in order to paint the decals, then reapply the application tape, then apply the decals to the rocket and pull the tape off without removing the paint. IMO that's impossible. Remember that the application tape covers the front of the decal, not the back.

I can cut these in just about any color you need if you just specify that with your order.....Or likewise, I can price them out piece by piece so you don't have to buy the whole set.

Back