2016 - The Year of the Bike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
So in the spirit of New Year's Resolutions and the like, this year I want to step up my care of myself. To that end I want to ride 2016 miles in 2016. That means I need to average 168 miles a month. Sadly Jan-March will be catch as catch can (I really don't like to ride in the deep cold).

So realistically I figure I have nine months or an average of 224 miles per month. I do two thirty five mile rides to work each week in warmer weather (April to December), have a 350 mile biking vacation in July and have several weekend rides ranging from 50 - 75 miles planned.

If you are into biking, please feel free to join in and post your journey.

Yes this gonna cut into my rocketry...

Al, first off - I'm glad to see the enthusiasm and goal in mind. Your post doesn't say if you're new to cycling or if you're a long time cyclist that's just pushing into to new territory or maybe getting back into it. So some of my comments may not apply, depending. I see the bike in your avatar, but the text is too small to make out.

I've been an avid cyclist for a number of years. I commute to work when schedule allows, I ride frequently with local club rides, I mountain bike, I restore vintage bikes and sometime do custom jobs based on them. I've been managing 1500-2000 miles per year, but last year fell off. That was due, in part, to rocketry cutting into my cycling since its only a little over a year that I've been back into the rocketry. So, managing that (and other time demands) is an issue. However, my goal this year is to push back over the 2000 mile ballpark, so we're doing more or less the same thing. One of the first things I do this time of year is printout the local clubs calendar, highlight the rides I'm leading (so I don't forget) and select the rides I'd like to ride. Then I can take that calendar, mark it up for club launches, vacations and other known conflicts, and kind of set a baseline of what my riding will be.

Riding this time of year is problematic, but I find that gear intended for x-country skiing often works well while riding (& vice versa). The biggest issue I've had is keeping my feet warm. I've had to give up on pedal clips of any sort so I can wear insulated boots (which, it turn, adds to the load). I ride the fat bike in the winter months when the trails are passable, or on the streets when I can. I do not, however, commute by bike in the winter. It's 25 miles each way, and in the snow on a fat bike is too slow and too cold. But I do like to make 1/2 hour rides around when I can. The point being, you don't have to wait till spring to start riding. Even without a fat bike, equipping a road (or mtn) bike with snow tires buys you pretty good mobility. Dress for the conditions - my brother-in-law says there are now poor conditions, only poor choice of gear - and you'll find that you can get a jump on racking up the miles. And you'll be in better shape once better weather comes, so you can start riding farther sooner. If you're doing a 350 mile bike trip in early summer, obviously, the faster you come up to speed there, the better that'll go.

Kind of tied to that, I've been toying with riding PTNY's Erie canal tour at about that same time. That's a 400 mile ride over 8 days, self-paced and fully supported. I've certainly got the vacation time to do it, and the cost is only a minor issue to me. I've been thinking about the last couple seasons, but it hasn't panned out yet. Anyway, if you didn't already have a long-distance ride planned, I'd have suggested considering something like that. Seeing that you're in CT, it isn't too far away to do. For me, I ride part the canal trail on my way to work, so its sort of a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Good luck on your goal.

BTW, what do you ride?

Rick

Been at it for about five years now. I have two rides

1. My main ride is a Trek 7.6 hybrid. I really don't care for full on road bikes as I like the flexibility to take a detour onto anything that interests me. I am considering a Felt endurance frame though.
  2. A Raleigh Route 5 for tooling around and some off road fun. Weighs about as much as a Buick, but it's like pedaling a La-Z-Boy.

I'm not fond of anything below about 45 degrees as I don't like to gear up for it. I'll just get time on the trainer or in spin class instead. My favorite place is to ride the rail-trails. Big ride for this year is Door County WI. That is going to cost me attending URRF this year. I also will ride in The Ride Closer to Free event at the century level. That is my avatar logo.

Karen and I will do the Walkill Valley Rail trail later this spring - If you are into less proven surfaces (grass, stone dust, dirt), Maybe we can schedule something. It's a beautiful 60-75 miles. We actually looked at the Erie Canal Ride and decided we've never been to WI, so that one won out.

You have never tried the shoe covers?

Last edited:
That does look a nice ride. Pricey though, compared to the Erie Canal ride. I've driven through that area, but never stayed long. One of these days, I'd like to do some riding in northern MI, which I only ever seem to visit in the winter. Around here, the Finger Lakes region has quite a few rail trails and other paths, though, and they offer a nice variety of surfaces. One ride I've been meaning to is the Genesee Valley Greenway. Its about 40 miles from Rochester down to Letchworth SP, but the trail continues a bit further than that to the south. It is a bt less improved than the typical stone dust trail though.

I have a couple sets of shoe covers, but they just don't seem adequate to me. The big cut out in the bottom for the pedal clips compromises their value, and my normal riding shoes are light and very ventilated. So, not a good combination when its sub-30. I can ride about 20 minutes before my feet would go numb, and I'd have to get off and walk to warm them back up. Its better with the boots & flat pedals.

The 7.6 is a nice bike, I know a few people that have or have had them. It does seem pretty transitional, though. Often, once people get used to going faster they feel compelled to move onto a "proper" drop bar bike. Personally, I'm an old-school steel & leather type of bike guy. I have a Surly Pacer that I love to death, but normally commute on a Long Haul Trucker so I can carry bags. But the Trucker is more than capable on gravel and soft surfaces, and I can fit mtb tires if I choose. That's been sort of my go-to ride for a lot of things.

I've been trying to do a short tour (1 week; 350 miles) for the last few years, but something always comes up. As a compromise I think I will take a long weekend and ride a mini tour of some local state parks.

I ride to work when I can (like today). Below zero I have trouble keeping warm, though.

Good luck with you goal Al. Once Lu and I are able to sell the condo I am on buying a recumbent and start riding again. Thankfully the weather is not an obstacle anymore but no clue as to when the condo sells. Until then money is the only real barrier. BTW, Door County is very nice. Be sure to stock up on cherry cider.

Good on you Al. I say go for it. As a fellow CATO member I'm happy to post up some mile logs with you. I'm racing Ironman Maryland in October and its time to get back to laying down that base. Heck I should be able to hang up 2k miles this year. My rides are a Trek 2.3 currently living on a Kurt Kinetic trainer and a Quintana Roo CD0.1 for time trial goodness.

As for right now I'm going to hit the treadmill.

so, about how many miles did you ride in 2015, Al?
is 2016 a big jump?
I finished 15 with a little over 1800. but since over half of that is singletrack mountain biking, it's a lot of rides.
First year in about 10 that I didn't get a century ride. Our death Valley Diabetes ride was shortened down to 71 miles due to FLOODING?!?

Only about 780 actual miles. It was a brutal winter and we did not get out until almost late April. Then I had rocket event after event through mid July. Plus, work commitments all but erased my ride to work days (needed my car at work all too often). But enough excuses, that was then. New year and all that.

This weekend was decent enough for me to take the bike off the trainer stand and get in a real ride. Saturday went OK, 7.1 miles, did 10.6 on Sunday. NOT in the riding shape I was when I stopped riding outdoors 2.5 months ago, but not a surprise. Weather getting cold again so it'll be awhile before I do an outdoor ride again. But now I know what I can handle for an hour or so when the temperature is similar to this weekend's, and try to get out when it is like that.

- George Gassaway

I've been able to get a couple rides in so far this year, but only shorter (5-6 mile) on my fatbike in the snow. I've been trying to walk a lot, but work travel has made that tough too...

Got in my first pseudo-commute in today. 18 and change miles. Damn it was cold (38 degrees) when I pushed off. 18 to go tonight on the way home.

Looks like Saturday came early. Our computers were down at work today so I went home early. As luck would have it, I got a call from the bike shop telling me my bike is in and ready to go. Meet my Salsa Vaya. Man it's smooth, like buttered sex.

DSC_0001-L.jpg

Wow, that looks very nice!

Sadly, I have retired my bike.

Oh, I mean I re-tire-ed my bike, not sad at all, a good thing! :) Replaced the old sort of but not quite knobby-ish 1.9" tires with smoother tread 1.5" commuter tires (I got the bike, a used Gary Fisher Solstice hybrid, late last August, from a Craigslist ad. Has worked well for me, planned to replace the tires for this year). Easier to ride, probably picked up about 1 mph average, if not dealing with a lot of climbs. I've gotten in about 140 miles so far this year, most of it in the last 4 weeks. Doing a 10-15 mile group ride Sat morning if the weather allows. [update - nope, weathered out]

Also, replacing the old tires and tubes with new ones gave me fresh new experience at how to do so. I have not reaplced a tire on a bike since I was a kid, maybe 11 or 12. Did not know how, it was a PITA, and had never heard of "tire levers". For me, screwdrivers were the tire levers. Anyway, thanks to how-to videos I was well prepared to do it. And now that I have, I feel a lot more confident about replacing a tube (or patching) if I get a flat far enough away from home to be more practical to fix on the road than walk it back. It is also nice that modern bikes like these do not require pliers and vice grips or wrenches to remove and retighten nuts that hold the wheels on. That was another PITA factor when I was a kid.

- George Gassaway

Old original 1.9" tire above, new 1.5" below. eBay link for the new tires, FWIW - https://www.ebay.com/itm/231474524689

DGBQjv1.jpg

Last edited:
Today something happened while bike riding that might qualify me as a “seasoned bike rider” (at no more than 8 months into riding after 40 years). Even though it didn’t really involve riding the bike itself as much as a situation. It was also a great example of the “Butterfly Effect”

i’d ridden a group ride Wednesday, and a few more miles near the house before dark. For Thursday I figured i’d get in a few miles from the house, not much, but at least something. Put it off though, so windy, over 20 mph. that I thought maybe it’d be less windy much later, so I waited. Finally got riding about 6:20, was going to head to a park to do some laps, but my legs were not feeling in great shape. I was a bit surprised, didn’t seem like i overdid it Wednesday. Well, also there was a lot of wind, but still, I didn’t have a full headwind. So, I bailed on riding to the park and turned around. Getting near the house I figured to ride a bit more, and kept going. Was going to turn around then decided if I made it up a short hill I could then manage another 1/2 mile and that’d add another mile to the wimpy total for the ride (going to be even windier Friday). So, I made it up that little hill and rode the crest.

On the other side of the road up ahead a few hundred feet, I saw a couple of riders stopped. A man and woman about 20-something. The guy had some sort of problem but they were about to get moving again when I went past heading the other way. I rode past them and did another 1/4 mile then turned around. On the way back, I saw them stopped again, a 1000 feet from where I’d last seen them. As I neared them, the guy got on his bike and they were riding slowly.

I rode past them and as I did I said “I have tools if you need help”.

Within one second….. the left pedal on the guy’s bike fell onto the road!

“Okay, I guess you need help”, I said, as I turned around. Fortunately, all he needed was an allen wrench to tighten the pedal to the crank. And among my bike tools, indeed my most-used, is a multi-key Allen wrench , metric. So, I let him borrow that, and in a minute it was tightened and they were able to ride on. They had said they’d get an Allen wrench set, I pointed out to get a Metric set since most bikes use metric, certainly his bike did.

And so, since I took up riding nearly 8 months ago, that’s the first time I’ve helped someone with a bike problem on the road. Fortunately, a very easy simple one (stopping and loaning a tool), and not something time consuming, complex, and messy like fixing a flat…. on a rear tire.

In other news, I’ve ridden 218 miles so far this year (147 in March). Have done 4 group rides in the last month or so. My regular Wednesday and Sunday group rides had not started up until now. Two of the “other” group rides I did, were pretty hard, “C” rides that were more like B/C rides. The last of those I was totally exhausted, as in had to sit in my car for 15 minutes rather than load my bike as I was feeling light-headed type exhausted…..and I won’t ride with that group anymore.

So yesterday’s Wednesday ride with my regular group was so great. The pace was indeed “C” and since there were very few inclines (mostly for bridges across roads), I was able to ride near the front most of the time. And the times we did stop for others to catch up, none of it was for me. :) And that’s the other thing, this group ride frequently stops for catch-up, not blindly riding on and on and on relying on a sweeper to keep the last rider from being lost no matter how far away the leader rides the group at a faster-than-C pace.

BTW - I mention the Butterfly effect since so many choices were made to end up on the road at the right place and time when that rider needed help. The last time a major Butterfly Effect event occurred to me was a few years ago when I got off work at about 10:30 PM when a truck beat me to an intersection by 5 seconds. So, I had to follow that truck. We both stopped facing the East, to turn left (North) onto an intersection to a highway, then he turned left while the turn left arrow light was still red, and an oncoming car headed west was coming in at high speed. I could see for seconds what was about to happen, as I could not believe that truck was turning, the oncoming car so obvious. The car tried to swerve to the right some, but still hit the truck and spun it around, but the car also bounced off and hit two cars (North of the east-west road, pointed south) waiting at the intersection. Several people injured. I do not know what that truck driver was thinking, possibly drunk, or possibly that the left turn arrow light behaved differently at night than in daytime (stupid programming choice if a persons is used to it being a different way in daytime). But still no excuse for him turning without seeing that oncoming car.

Now, had I started my car 10 -15 seconds earlier, I’d have beat that truck to the first intersection, and would have been ahead of him. So when we got to the intersection where the accident happened, I’d have waited, safely turned, and he’d have followed me. Sometimes when you think about that stuff you can also wonder how many times you made a “Butterfly Effect” choice that kept you out of trouble, not because it might have been a high-percentage choice to be right (like not going out in a storm), but just some random chain-of-event choices that otherwise might have turned out badly. Or, you made a really dumb choice but lucked out. Or, could be some great Butterfly Effect chain of events such as leading to meeting your future wife…… I’m still waiting on that one….. ;)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Spring finally arrived in New England - Karen and I got in 50 miles on the Farmington River Trail and Farmington Canal Greenway.

Even did my good deed for the season and helped two ladies change a tube - on a rear tire. These two ladies were without a fellow rider they called McGyver, and did not have what they needed to re-inflate the tire. They had CO2 cartridges, but no actual inflator.

Last edited:
Yesterday, a friend and I rode the Genesee River Trail from Genesee Valley Park (south of Rochester) through the city up to the end of the pier at Charlotte, which extends nearly a 1/2 mile out into Lake Ontario. The ride was about 13 miles each way, and has several elevation changes to it as it goes up and down the river gorge a couple times.

Water flowing over the spillway at Corn Hill Landing, just upstream from Dinosaur BBQ:
26229665760_7d0ecb81c2_c.jpg

High Falls in downtown Rochester:
25899691513_e96de5891a_c.jpg

This view is pretty easy to catch from Brown's Race on the western side, or the Genesee Brewery on the east. Point of trivia, this is where Sam Patch met his end on Friday, Nov 13 1829.

The path crosses the RG&E generator station just above the lower falls:
26476573526_c6b3fba16f_c.jpg

And with all that water rushing, the lake itself seemed quite calm:
26229668470_16f92140aa_b.jpg

All in all, it was a great day for a ride.

Today was a day to try a man's soles*...

I very likely walked 12Km today in the quest to find the Trek Bike Shop in the LaiShan District of Yantai. I had a photograph of a map that another bike shop had guiding me to the shop, but when I got to the neighborhood, I couldn't find it. Asking around in my poor Mandarin had me going 12 different ways till Sunday. I made a new friend who's Mandarin was much better than mine (but her English was limited). And we walked for 2 hours I'm sure trying to find this bike shop. When we finally decided to quit and I'd have to go back to a bike shop nearer to my (and wait at least a week for the part, since they sell Giant, and my bike is a Trek), I decided to buy her a soda.

While in the shop, she told the shopkeeper about the journey, and he pointed us to a "shop" nearby. When we got there, it was a cottage type shop where a man who fixed bikes lives and works. He looked at the bike, and wasn't able to fix it, but when my friend explained our travels to him, and that we were looking for the Trek bike shop, all of a sudden, everyone around us knew exactly where we looking for. Another very nice lady was headed in that direction, and we struck out again, heading back to where we had been an hour before.

We almost found it on the previous circle, but the locals that we had asked on that loop didn't know of its existence despite being only... 100 yards away from it. It was hidden down in a little hollow along what looked like a dirt driveway (not a street), concealed from the street by poorly maintained bushes.

I had been in that area 3 times previously on various loops trying to find it. I could have been there after only one hour of traveling instead of 4, had I found the right person to ask.

My bike is in the shop now, it'll be at least a week before it can get the part that is clearly broken, and perhaps will need the following parts... Derailleur, chain, cassette (if the chain goes, the cassette is usually done too), possibly the gears (worst case scenario). Also the rear tire is done for (amazing it lasted this long)... Oh, and new shoes.
The good news... I made a new friend, and several very nice (if slightly uninformed) people, and I now know how to get to the bike shop with the use of two buses (which don't carry bikes), and a walk of about 3 blocks.

*Soles credit goes to my mom. That was her joke.

Put new tires on my 18 year old Schwinn last week - replacing the original tires and tubes. It was a nice morning, so at 4:30 AM, I set out on an easy 10.8 mile ride. Almost exactly 1/2 way through, front tire went 'bang'. Not a fun trip back home... And did I mention that my wife is recovering from ankle surgery and isn't able to drive? :)

If I get back to my old racing weight I'm going to do this one...
https://pyreneesmultisport.com/cent-cols/
I think it's the final thing I need to do in France. The capstone to some awesome riding.....

both raids (alps and pyrenees)
Followed 2005 tour - start to finish, rode each day's stage
Etepe de tour du france
Time trial up the alpe du huez
All four approaches of ventoux

Guess after that it will be over to Italy for more fun.

Today was a day to try a man's soles*...

I very likely walked 12Km today in the quest to find the Trek Bike Shop in the LaiShan District of Yantai. I had a photograph of a map that another bike shop had guiding me to the shop, but when I got to the neighborhood, I couldn't find it. Asking around in my poor Mandarin had me going 12 different ways till Sunday. I made a new friend who's Mandarin was much better than mine (but her English was limited). And we walked for 2 hours I'm sure trying to find this bike shop. When we finally decided to quit and I'd have to go back to a bike shop nearer to my (and wait at least a week for the part, since they sell Giant, and my bike is a Trek), .
What part is so specific to Trek? only things I can think of is derailleur hanger and frame/fork. Everything else is pretty interchangeable between brands.

What part is so specific to Trek? only things I can think of is derailleur hanger and frame/fork. Everything else is pretty interchangeable between brands.

It was the derailleur hanger that snapped. I discovered that the likely cause of the damage was a missing bolt from my rack, combined with my all-weather bag. I didn't notice that there was a bolt missing from the rack on the drivetrain side. When I mounted a curb cut (which are 3" higher than the road (if you're lucky)), I suspect that the weight of the rack combined with the bag and its contents guillotined the derailleur hanger, or struck the derailleur with enough force to snap the hanger.

I should say that China's sidewalks are a disgrace. People routinely park their cars on them (and in the bike lanes), completely blocking them sometimes, and cutting off all access to ramps. If you need a wheelchair to get around, you're F'd. That said, Chinese drivers must be masters at Tetris, as they can park in the smallest possible spots sometimes.

BTW, Unlike US bike shops that may sell 3 or more brands of bikes, here the real bike shops (not the guy-who-knows-how-to-fix-bikes type shops) are all a single brand. Want to buy a Trek from a shop? Go to the Trek shop. Giant? There's the Giant Shop. Like what SwingWing said, most things are interchangeable, and they may be able to order specialty parts from another manufacturer, but they won't carry them stock. I was hoping that the Trek shop would have the derailleur hanger in stock, but sadly this wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Started out good today, I call the Ride "Two Bridges". Heads from my house just south of Hartford and shoots to Durham, CT then through Middleton CT, and over the Arigoni bridge. From there north on route 17 to Glastonbury and East Hartford. Then over the Charter Oak Bridge and home.

A few breathtaking views and a few gut wrenching climbs in there. At least I think a 12% grade is gut wrenching, and there was about 2,340 feet of climb over the whole 54 mile loop. Worst part is I lost three spokes, one at about mile 35 and two more in quick succession at about mile 45. I had to disengage my rear brake and really gave up on performance as I was just limping home.

Last edited:
Worst part is I lost three spokes, one at about mile 35 and two more in quick succession at about mile 45.

The dreaded curse of the Clyde!!!! Rode all the way across Kansas, 513 miles, last summer at 300lbs and put in about a 1000 miles in before without a problem on a set of wheels. As soon as I got back, every 50 miles I'd pop a spoke. So frustrating!!!

Did a group ride Saturday morning that went well, until…..

It was a 24-25 mile ride, mostly flat, a lot of it on rail-trails, my favorite.

The wind, it was mostly a headwind on the way out, 20 mph though parts of where we rode were a bit shielded so it didn’t feel 20 mph all the time. Then there were some gusts to perhaps 30 that definitely were felt. Got to the main rest stop for lunch. This was my 2nd ride with this group leader… he stops for a “water break” half-way to the mid ride break, so stopped for a water break about 6 miles into the 12-ish mile ride to the lunch stop. So in addition to my regular group rides, I will ride with this leader some more, I plan on another ride this Friday with him. He does a real "C" ride, not B/C mislisted as C or "FAST C" like a few others I did.

So, coming back, mostly a tailwind. Very nice having a tailwind, on a flat trail, so much easier. While it lasted….

And halfway thru, just after another water stop, I went over a bump and then the bottom fell out. Well, yeah, almost literally. The bike seat broke off and fell to the pavement! What happened was, there is a single bolt, under tension, that clamps the seat to the near-vertical (angled) seat post. At lunch I had made an adjustment to try to get the seat fit better (it is a new seat and I wanted to try a slight angle change and fore-aft position change for the ride back) After doing that, I tightened the bolt. On other riding at times that bolt had wiggled loose, so I have been tightening it a lot. So, the metal fatigue from tightening it so much, and very tight, made it snap. We were about 5-6 miles from getting back to where we parked, that would have been 2 hours or so for me to walk the bike (2.5 mph walking speed).

Now… a good rider could just stand on the pedals and ride without a seat. Just as many do when they want to pedal with a lot of power up a hill, “get up on the horse". I am not one of those people. I have tried to do that before and I can’t pedal worth a darn when not sitting. So there was no way I could pedal the bike back. As it turned out, one of the co-leaders of the Wednesday and Sunday group rides I often do, was on this ride, first time I’d seen him on anyone else’s ride. Anyway, he told me to walk my bike up the trail another 1/2 mile or so to where we could see there was a road crossing, and stop there. He’d ride ahead, get in his car, and come get me and my bike (he can carry up to 3 bikes). And that’s what he did, but it took awhile for him to ride to where he parked, and road constructions is causing massive detours in lots of places, so it took over an hour.

But I did not walk the bike for that 1/2 mile. I skateboarded it. Well, I was on the left side of the bike, put my right foot onto the left pedal, and stood on the bike (tilted 15-20 degrees right) as it rolled, by standing using my right foot on that left pedal. That allowed my left leg to be free to push along the ground every so often to regain speed, as with a skateboard. And now I know a new trick I could use sometime to get back by myself at faster-than-walk pace, if the problem allowed the bike to still roll OK but I couldn’t pedal for some reason.

I found a couple of photos on the internet and merged them to show the type of bolt (left), and seat post clamp assembly similar to the one I have (Right). The image of the seat assembly leaves about a 1” air gap between the curved seat post interface and the clamp assembly, so the bolt can be seen. Lots of stress on that bolt!

C3epXcJ.jpg

As I found out by googling later, that is not a rare occurrence. We had met and parked near a bike shop, so I got two bolts there. One for the fix now…. and one to carry in the bike toolbag so if it happens again I’ll be able to fix it on the road. I need to remember to use a Moto-tool cutoff disc to slot the end of the bolt so if it does break I can use a slotted screwdriver to remove the broken piece (Sure, I carry a lot of stuff, even mini-Vice-Grips, but I won’t be adding a cordless Moto-Tool to the toolbag!)

So, the ride was supposed to be 24-25 miles, I only got in a bit over 19. Robbed of the earlier hard-earned tailwind for the last 5-6 miles I didn’t get to ride. In any case, that ride put me at nearly 230 miles for April 479 miles for 2016. Actually, that Saturday ride “stole” a ride from May 1st, as originally there was a local rocket launch set for Saturday, but it was moved to Sunday due to ….. wind. So I rode Saturday because the launch Sunday meant I could not do the regular Sunday group ride I usually do.

In better news, there was a local group ride I did earlier in the week that had one of the most interesting places I’ve ridden to, and this was not in some far off wilderness area either. A 50 foot waterfall. I’d rather not ID where in this thread, PM me if you want to know.

XRlwjhl.jpg

Last edited:
Knowing the area well, that sounds like an awesome ride Al. Wish I could have been along side.

Back