2016 - The Year of the Bike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got in a good bit of riding lately, many in groups, and a good bit locally. On a day of nice weather when I would have liked to ave done a group ride, having missed one a day before due to other commitments (Rocket Launch!), I did a 21-mile local ride that was sort of like a self-created group ride (I’m giving thought to doing an unofficial group ride this fall, invite riders on the group rides I do, and work up a pretty decent route that’d be interesting to ride. )

Anyway, unfortunately there was an accident on the Sunday ride. First half was fine, thru a nature preserve. Some hills which wore my legs but not too bad.

The ride back was mostly flat, but one area was slightly downhill, there was a big bump on it, at least 3" tall, maybe 4". If it was a ROAD it might be labeled as a speed bump! I was near the front and made it OK, rider ahead of me said “bump”, if he had not, I might have crashed (we were not going THAT fast, not like the 20-25 MPH on some of the nature preserve downhills. It was the severity of the bump). Then 10-15 seconds later we heard “rider down” from behind us. A very experienced rider hit that bump and went down HARD . Arm badly scraped, worst of all a likely broken collarbone or ribs or both. At first he didn’t want an ambulance, but the group at least talked him into letting them call the paramedics to check him out, and it turned out he did take an ambulance (at least this was very close to a major road, about 100 feet, not far in the middle of nowhere like we can be at times). A few riders stayed with him, also a neighbor nearby was very helpful.

The rest of us rode back quickly, so that a couple could get cars to come pick up the riders and bikes left behind. I had a bit of trouble with the pace (but we needed to get back quickly so i’m not complaining, just describing), and our sweeper was with the injured rider. I was able to keep up enough, and had the navigation aids to get back if need be (The route varies a bit and I’d not ridden that leg often enough to memorize it).

Anyway, got to my car and heard the update that the rider had taken an ambulance to the emergency room. No other info on his condition.

Now, we’d been on that part of trail a time or two last fall, but it seems like that bump got worse over winter (but it also sneaks up on you, more of a “oh yeah, that bump again” after you hit it or maybe see it an instant before hitting it). On the ride back I thought about what I could do, and decided to stop at a hardware store, get a can of fluorescent marking spray, and drive back to that area and mark that bump. Also to take other photos to document it before and after spraying it.

DddHYTS.jpg

Cause of the bump is this corrugated pipe:

Ab9pfIS.jpg

After painting, and showing the part of the path we came from:

5Xypmax.jpg

You can see darker asphalt, from a previous patch job, where I painted "BUMP" on both sides.

If whoever maintains that trail is going to be upset that I painted it…... GOOD!

I expect that the ride leader will be contacting whoever maintains it and try to get them to fix it. There were signs of a previous re-paving but clearly it’s a continuing problem. Only way they could properly fix that is to dig up that pipe and install it so it’s deeper, preferably with a rectangular pipe or some smaller side by side pipes.

To change back to riding, that was a 22.2 mile group ride. After the time it took to get paint, drive there (using GPS data I recorded), take photos and paint it. I was not feeling too tired. On the drive to that spot, I drove past a wooden trail bridge over a highway that I had always been interesting in riding. So, I found the trail it was on , parked, and rode my bike to it. I felt OK, and the weather forecast was for rain Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, a planned group ride likely to be cancelled if the forecast holds. And other than the bridge (which I walked up to save energy/legs), that area is VERY flat. And the weather that day was SO good, low wind, good temperature. So I decided to try to get in a few more miles while I could, ride 4 down the trail so I’d have 8 to make for more than 30 for the day. Things went well, and I kept going. Eventually ended up at 20.5 miles. So, rode 42.7 miles for the day. That’s the second longest total I’ve done for a day, only one longer was a special 71 mile carefully planned ride on flat rail trail (Goal had been 58). And that was on top one having ridden some hills on the first half of ride #1 and a hard pace for the last 6 miles, not the sort of hard riding I’d do for a planned 40+ mile riding day.

Total for year to now, 532.8 miles according to MapMyRide. But it always shaves off a bit from the Cyclemeter GPX files.

FWIW - I sometimes take “Sport Legs”, and fortunately did for ride#1 to help with the leg weariness I always feel from rides on that preserve. And also took a couple before ride #2. I ended ride #2 more from “bottom weariness” than anything else (though definitely riding about 2 mph slower than usual), plus it was long past time for me to get home.

Been waiting awhile to post this last part in an update. Two of weeks ago, Steve Kristal ("Gus") sent me a couple of water bottles, with Saturn-V type markings on them.

hLq2SQf.jpg

Last edited:
If whoever maintains that trail is going to be upset that I painted it…... GOOD!

:facepalm:

Simple trail marking as a courtesy would have been the colored stripe along the ridge of the bump. The rest is just defacing the trail to make a statement. Trails like that are normally maintained by volunteer groups. Rather than a self satisfied sense of accomplishment for making them upset, perhaps you should put some of that energy to volunteering yourself and helping make the trail better for everyone.

An update - The rider broke 5 ribs, may get out of the hospital Tuesday. When he crashed, he hit the handlebars of his bike.

A neighbor is on the city council. He's going to talk the department that is involved with maintaining trails like this one.

Another neighbor said that there have been MANY riders who have fallen at that bump.

And nobody did a blanking (want to post an extreme expletive) THING about it.

One of the group leaders gave me the above update. She saw it in person and she THANKED me for doing it, including adding the word bump on both sides.

Gotta admit I was very "ticked" (want to say a different word) off about there being a bump like that, and that was before I found out there had been MANY riders who had fallen there.

Edit update- I do want to note that when the rest of us got back to out cars, I told the primary ride leader that I planned to go back and mark it. I am 90% sure I told him I planned to write "bump' on both sides of it. He was fine with it.

Also, BTW, I cannot find the post and do not recall who, but there is a very experienced rider on TRF who took to marking dangerous street drain grates (if I recall the hazard correctly), because the road department wasn't doing their job. I think there was even a link to a video about his story. I hope someone recalls this and posts a link to his message.

Last edited:
More bikes.

In the "more bikes" line, I just bought an electric-assist bike. It looks likely to replace my car for most of my commuting needs year-round. My ride is ~25-mile round trip, mostly flat except a 300-foot hill at the end on the way home. Having a little boost brought me from 13-14 mph to 18-20 mph on the flat and made a real difference in how tired my knees feel. So far, so excellent! Review of the bike is here: https://electricbikereview.com/izip/e3-path-plus/

For the bike experts who my have some ideas…. I could use some help with an issue with the seat post rotating inside of the seat post clamp on the bike.

The clamp has allowed the seat post to slide down over time, bump after bump. I finally solved that by using a piece of thin-wall 1” PVC pipe as a spacer to hold it at the correct height (I cut a few extras at different heights and tried different heights as I adjusted for fit).

uH1NdDA.jpg

But sometimes the seat rotates around. It was OK originally but has gotten worse recently. There’s been no lubrication near there, unless MAYBE when I applied some teflon lube to the chain I might have gotten some on my hand and then accidentally got it on the post when I made a later adjustment.

0BPskjR.jpg

So, any ideas? If possibly it’s teflon lubrication contamination, what could I do to remove that or any other lubricant?

If it is not that, what could I do to make it harder to rotate when clamped? Simply adjust the knurled screw seen near the top of the photo?

Some sticky substance, like rubbing the post with rosin? Although I have seen where some have the opposite problem and can't remove a seat post, and have to add lubrication to get it out, so I'm realizing something sticky like rosin may be a bad thing.

BTW - it is definitely the outside of the post that is rotating. The post has a shock absorber spring assembly inside, but I confirmed that the internal assembly is not what is rotating, it’s the outer (main) post itself.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
George:

this one's easy to fix
Get a real seat post collar, one with an allen screw. Go to your local bike shop, they're cheap. Post the make, model and year of your bike and we might be able to look up the correct size.
measure the correct height of your saddle - typically from the top of the saddle to the middle of the bottom bracket. Write it down.
Pull apart what you got. Pitch the PVC in the trash. The quick release should follow it. as Robin Williams says in DPS "rip it out!"
clean the post the seat tube with your favorite volatile spirit. I'm a fan of denatured alcohol for that (otherwise it might seize up or creak)
Put the new seat post collar on
put a very little bit of grease on the post
Reinstall in the seat tube, spin the allen screw until it's a little snug and the post doesn't drop
Measure to get the right height again - look at that number you wrote, and recall how you measured.
Make sure the nose is straight (look while straddling the front wheel)
tighten the seat post clamp.
Crack a cold beer to appreciate the upgrade and the elimination of a heavy POS from your ride.

Is it the original seatpost? I ask because seatposts are available in a zillion diameters, some only 0.1mm different than the next.
Two fixes for creeping seatposts. Grease. yeah, grease. Seems counter-intuitive, but it's a gap filler, and can make a difference.
Carbon seatposts use carbon paste to eliminate slipping. You cannot overtighten a carbon seatpost, or bad things happen, so they use a paste that has pumice-like grit in it

BTW, awesome water bottles!!
As a mountain biker, who rides over chest-high log piles all the time, that's not a bump! :)
Seriously, I have had to help a rider on a similar frost heave bump wipeout, and it's no fun.
If you find yourself about to hit something similar, and can't avoid. get your weight back over the rear tire and stand. Don't hit it sitting on the seat leaning forward with upper body weight on the bars.
Same can be said for braking. Just like a car, the front brake is the most powerful and useful, but most riders are afraid of it, because of the tendency to go over-the-bars (OTB) in a panic stop. If you get the weight in the back seat, you can grab that front brake hard, and stop on a dime with 5 cents change!

giant_log_pile_at_Leb.jpg

Last edited:
This thread was locked because George and TMacklin could not resist bickering like two school children. Then they started up a separate thread acting all innocent. They've both been given a one week timeout to settle down. Hopefully, when they come back, they'll choose to continue in a civilized fashion and provide rocketry related content.

At the request of those who contributed to this thread as well as folk who found it useful, the bickering has (mostly) been edited out.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled bike chat...

You guy's are makin me jealous...
This is super good for you,,
I really should dust off the bike and put some air in the tires....

Teddy

25 days until the bike race I promote happens. One of the fastest criteriums anywhere on a purpose built 1 mile course. The swag is building up in my house now...can't wait to get rid of it all. Not to mention north of 25,000 in cash prizes...$100 primes are the norm, not the exception.
And the coolest state championship jerseys anywhere, thanks to Verge.

I went 50 miles this weekend the easy way. LOL

I did that until I got sick of the Chinee "quality". I sold a hot motor I'd been building on, all the good bolt-ons. The magneto's are junk, the leads break all the time. Get a replacement magneto from eBay and keep it stashed, you're going to need it some day....

I've been working up an electric conversion on a West Coast Chopper. Way bigger than the Schwinn version which I, as a large person, was way too big for. I have a Sturmy-Archer Dyno-Drum front brake laced to the front wheel due to the fact there was no front brake. When I finish it I'll post a photo :)

On that bike I changed the front forks with a mountain bike suspension forks with disk brakes. I have been riding this bike for 4 years with no problems other than a carb cleaning. I do know that you don't want to get the motor wet. If water gets to the mag then its toast.
I did that until I got sick of the Chinee "quality". I sold a hot motor I'd been building on, all the good bolt-ons. The magneto's are junk, the leads break all the time. Get a replacement magneto from eBay and keep it stashed, you're going to need it some day....

I've been working up an electric conversion on a West Coast Chopper. Way bigger than the Schwinn version which I, as a large person, was way too big for. I have a Sturmy-Archer Dyno-Drum front brake laced to the front wheel due to the fact there was no front brake. When I finish it I'll post a photo :)

On that bike I changed the front forks with a mountain bike suspension forks with disk brakes. I have been riding this bike for 4 years with no problems other than a carb cleaning. I do know that you don't want to get the motor wet. If water gets to the mag then its toast.

I bought 3 of the motors, two had bad magnetos from the get-go. Just my luck I guess. The one that ran when Igot it ran good until the mag went out about a quarter mile from home. Man, I had it so modified you wouldn't believe it. Stock compression is on the order of 6.5 to 1. I put a Puch head on it raising the compression to 11 to 1. sick bike parts expansion chamber, the good carb (the one with a K&N type filter) A prototype Jaguar ignition system, the works. I just got tired of the bad parts. Sold most of it to a guy in Portugal of all places. I'm putting on a 36 volt 500 watt brushless motor on the rear wheel. It comes laced to a wheel but I want my wider rims so it will need re-laced. Then I'll have to find the rim brakes with arms long enough to fit, seems like the brake arms might be proprietary they are so long. I'm hoping the bike mechanic I found that did the front wheel might know more about it. I could always try to cobbling up a disk brake, the wheel can be ordered with a disk.

Geeze - If I get wet all that happens is I get whiny, and still keep moving. I would say I am low maintenance, but my wife would vehemently disagree.

25 days until the bike race I promote happens. One of the fastest criteriums anywhere on a purpose built 1 mile course. The swag is building up in my house now...can't wait to get rid of it all. Not to mention north of 25,000 in cash prizes...$100 primes are the norm, not the exception.
And the coolest state championship jerseys anywhere, thanks to Verge.

You dangle that carrot and don't provide a weblink???

Sweet, thanks. I'm going to try and fit it into my schedule to go watch. Being a triathlete I have an intense phobia of drafting and other cycling concepts (like rudimentary bike handling skills) that preclude me from racing.

Yesterday, I took a short ride after dinner; it was 64 degrees, partly sunny and low humidity. Perfect. But as it got toward dusk, it started getting buggy, Still, nice to be out. This morning I rode to work. Normally, its about 11 miles each way, but there's a detour on the canal path halfway through. Unfortunately, they keep changing the detour and its poorly marked, so I spent 15 minutes riding back and forth trying to figure out how to get back on the path...

And now for something really stupid...

Wednesday I did some serious weight work and then Thursday was my usual ride to work day (about 20 miles each way). Was origionally just going to cruise along and enjoy stretching my legs. But nooooo.

About a quarter mile in, I decided to "see what I got" and dropped the hammer. While not fast for others I averaged 13.2 the whole way in, and that includes the stop and go in New Haven and a couple of "gawd that sucks" climbs. On the way home once again, I was going to enjoy the ride. Guess what? I had to see if I could better the morning ride. Did not, however I am a bit sore today. On the plus side, I slept well.

And now for something really stupid...

Wednesday I did some serious weight work and then Thursday was my usual ride to work day (about 20 miles each way). Was origionally just going to cruise along and enjoy stretching my legs. But nooooo.

About a quarter mile in, I decided to "see what I got" and dropped the hammer. While not fast for others I averaged 13.2 the whole way in, and that includes the stop and go in New Haven and a couple of "gawd that sucks" climbs. On the way home once again, I was going to enjoy the ride. Guess what? I had to see if I could better the morning ride. Did not, however I am a bit sore today. On the plus side, I slept well.

Good for you Al,,
That sure is healthy...

Teddy

I did the same thing a while back and paid for it all week long. On a side note, riding through New Haven must be interesting. At least it's not Fair Haven.

Fun fact: New Haven ranks #8 on the most dangerous cities (crime-wise) with populations under 200,000. Not to be outdone, Hartford is #5.

So when Al says 'really stupid', was it the weights, the hard ride in, the hard ride home, or the ride itself???

I routinely ride through Fairhaven,The Hill and Edgewood Park. Sundays 60 miles (WX permitting) includes Frog Hollow in Hartford.

Must be me that is the stupid part.

Back