BALLS 25

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
BALLS 25 dates will be September 23-25
Website, https://balls25.com
BALLS will now be hosted by Tripoli Gerlach.
Those who will be needing an away cell, 2000 feet plus, need to read new requirements.

Arizona High Power Rocketry Association, AHPRA, and eXperimental Rocketry Association of Arizona, XRAA, hosted the launch for 18 years and we have retired from management and plan to launch rockets. The participants should see little change other than a few faces running things.

Mark

BALLS 25 dates will be September 23-25
Website, https://balls25.com
BALLS will now be hosted by Tripoli Gerlach.
Those who will be needing an away cell, 2000 feet plus, need to read new requirements.

Arizona High Power Rocketry Association, AHPRA, and eXperimental Rocketry Association of Arizona, XRAA, hosted the launch for 18 years and we have retired from management and plan to launch rockets. The participants should see little change other than a few faces running things.

Mark

Mark,

Though I only made it to one Balls launch under your reign, I'd like to say a huge "THANK YOU" for putting on The Trademark EX event for so many years. Thank you!

I hope you have a ton of fun actually launching rockets at the launch again!

-Eric-

Big thanks to AHPRA for all their years of service. Glad to hear you all will still be attending and will finally get to fly some rockets!

Eric - you coming to Black Rock this year?

Hypothetical question. What are the rules on TMP certified youth attending/flying at BALLS under a mentor? The site says children are discouraged but I'm curious if that statement is talking about children youth or ALL those 18 and under.

Again, just a hypothetical question. ;)

Hypothetical question. What are the rules on TMP certified youth attending/flying at BALLS under a mentor? The site says children are discouraged but I'm curious if that statement is talking about children youth or ALL those 18 and under.

Again, just a hypothetical question. ;)

You need to contact the launch organizers, none of them post on this (and likely any other) site.

M

I got the go ahead from a higher up. Now I just have to convince la familia to get me out there. I haven't gotten a YES, but I also haven't gotten a no..... :D

Preliminary plans in the making. I'm not an altitude junkie, but I agreed to make the trip for several reasons. So I figured what the hell, you only live once. This will be a one time trip for me, so I'm going to try to break 10K (don't you dare laugh, I'll sic The Mafia on youse) with Starleopard. Never been that high. Early plans are CTI O3400 to about 13K. See ya'll there!

Last edited:
Preliminary plans in the making. I'm not an altitude junkie, but I agreed to make the trip for several reasons. So I figured what the hell, you only live once. This will be a one time trip for me, so I'm going to try to break 10K (don't you dare laugh, I'll sic The Mafia on youse) with Starleopard. Never been that high. Early plans are CTI O3400 to about 13K. See ya'll there!

You're probably gonna run out of health long before you run out of time and money, so I say "GO FOR IT" and have fun! :)

"A one time trip"
Many times I have heard it said.
They keep coming back.
This year it's 10k, then the planning starts for next year and 20k......
It never stops.

M

Funny thing is that BALLS gets in your blood. It has now become a regular on my launch schedule. I was never an "altitude junkie" until I made the first trip 6 years ago. I flew a 3" minimum diameter project to a little over 33K last year, and its not enough. Mark, you are right: it NEVER stops. Sigh........

I'm planning on attending, IFF I can find a ride for a 4.3" single stage rocket that really wants to get some airtime at Black Rock this time around. I'll be in SoCal early in the week prior to Balls for work...so again, if I can find a ride for the former "20 Yr. Itch", I'll plan on flying the "23 Yr. Rash".

Plus, that Dickinson guy has a three peat as the Alpha Hamster since the last time I was out there...maybe see if I can top 13,030' and stay below 15k' wrestling against the Gary's:wink:

Really hope to see you fine folks there!

-Eric C-

Last year was incredible. I was out helping Jim Jarvis with his 3 stage, and all around me people were launching Ps and Qs. You don't go back to small motors after something like that.
I'll be there this year (if I've got the pocket change and I'm willing to skip a few classes).
Here's what Im building:

Here's my video from last year
[video=youtube;zrqtr2ST5Tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqtr2ST5Tg[/video]

Alex

Anyone know the waiver for BALLS this year? From what I remember from last year it was somewhere around 200K, does anyone know for sure?

-Thanks

Hey Eric,

C'mon out; the sky is fine! I know that the three-peat has a certain Aerotech person very frustrated. Some additional competition would be fabulous. :)

Anyone know the waiver for BALLS this year? From what I remember from last year it was somewhere around 200K, does anyone know for sure?

-Thanks

The standing waiver is typically 150,000'. Anything over 50,000' must go through the Class 3 Committee, if a higher altitude is needed it will be arranged. The Max the FAA can give is 150 kilometers.

M

150 KILOmeters? That's 487,500 feet. A little over 92 miles.

Any amateur every been close to that?

A rocket made by a group from USC was going high enough we called in the full waiver height and radius.
It did not go as high as they had hoped for.

We now have a TFR, when we call in the Max it pretty much screws up all air traffic passing through Northern Nevada.

M

I'm really looking forward to this now. :) The only problem is that I'll be starting some community college classes this year and I will have to be able to see if I can skip a few days to head out to BALLS. Greatly hoping I can make it though. :)

There's definitely a lot going on and a lot of people to talk to.

Cool deal guys, look forward to putting faces with some more TRF aliases this year!

"A one time trip"
Many times I have heard it said.
They keep coming back.
This year it's 10k, then the planning starts for next year and 20k......
It never stops.

M
That's for sure! Ask me how I know, haha...

Would this be something one would go to for learning and spectating purposes?
There's definitely a lot going on and a lot of people to talk to.
What's your background, Rob702Martinez? Just keep in mind that a lot of people there are too busy with their project(s) to "educate" people, at least during the day... As Mark said, go to Party on the Playa after flying is wrapped up for the day/weekend and you'll find no shortage of "education" there! :wink:

What Mark & Gary said.

A (nowadays pedestrian) 100k attempt this year but already looking ahead to 2017.

Funny, I was just saying to a couple guys around here, just 3 trips to big western launch sites and man, our local fields are TINY :)

Jerry O

Funny thing is that BALLS gets in your blood. It has now become a regular on my launch schedule. I was never an "altitude junkie" until I made the first trip 6 years ago. I flew a 3" minimum diameter project to a little over 33K last year, and its not enough. Mark, you are right: it NEVER stops. Sigh........

I just got the go ahead :shock::horse:, now what to build...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Still working on convincing the parentals to let me go. I'll be starting community college classes about 3 weeks before, and they're worried about me not being able to get them done. I just really hope I'll be able to make it out there. ;)

Back