Upstate Research Rocketry Festival 3 - RAFFLE SCHEDULE POSTED - CC taken on site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year we bumped the price $10 and offer a $10 gift card per shift for volunteering. This should help increase the number of people willing to volunteer and also provides a way for those who may struggle with the registration price to help offset it. It's also a small thank you for all the work people do to make these events happen.

We used to give free raffle tickets to people who volunteered for a shift. And the raffle prizes were donated by the vendors as free advertising. No money exchanging hands.

So, that takes care of $10 out of the $40-$50. Where does the rest go? Just curious because I've helped run national events and many regional launches, and there must be something I'm not aware of. I've been to Potter launches way back when there were 10 people flying, some big launches after that, and an LDRS or two there. This is difficult to understand.

So, that takes care of $10 out of the $40-$50. Where does the rest go? Just curious because I've helped run national events and many regional launches, and there must be something I'm not aware of. I've been to Potter launches way back when there were 10 people flying, some big launches after that, and an LDRS or two there. This is difficult to understand.

Not to be blunt, But if you've run events, you know where the money goes. Equipment isn't free, Tents, Dumpsters and registration materials aren't free. Farmers don't prep fields to be parked on for free. This is not difficult to understand. Running events costs money. That money comes from fliers. Trust me, no one is getting rich running high power launches. In fact even at this price I didn't want to have an event, because it's more work and impact than it's worth, in my opinion.

We got away from raffles because frankly...it wasn't working. Slots were not getting filled...and some doubted the raffle process. This is simple. Ten bucks a shift. period. no risk.

100 people at $50 is 5 grand. 173 slots for duty assignments. thats $1730 into just running the flight line. $3200 to cover launch equipment replacement, dumpsters, fencing, farm work, tents, etc etc etc. You're talking hundreds of hours of work for the club, and all the other things that go with running a launch, for very minimal income to the club.

Now. We're here to fly. and we hope everyone comes out and enjoys the event. We've set it up in this manner so we won't have an understaffed flightline, and we're working on the launch equipment. It's being properly fixed so we don't have any of the issues we had holding up LDRS from moisture. We're all looking forward to hosting this event and having fun doing it.

But not so interested in having any drama. If you don't want to come.... don't. We're not dragging anyone to the registration table. Personally, I think the east coast is going to enjoy our 18K waiver, and we're all going to have a blast on that massive field.

I don't think our price is out of line compared to other launches.

Hi I am new to rocketry but not to running volunteer events R/C and MCY fun runs in my case (proceeds went to local hospitals)

Clearly the spirit of volunteerism seems lost here! you will always struggle at the last minute to fill a spot somewhere and a handful of people will do all the work. trying to purchase labor in what seems like a volunteer run event will set you up for a bunch of trouble. not sure how much a rocket event costs but a quick look around seems like they are $15 to $30 depending on whether or not your charge memberships?

Anyway, if i was putting together a dice run and i couldn't get volunteers to do stuff I would stop having the events...

I'm not trying to cause any drama or get anyone upset. The high launch fee just jumped out of the computer screen and surprised me.

You've answered my question, with some sign of frustration. Just as you say you're not forcing anyone to come, nobody is forcing you to sponsor the launch. It should be fun. I find that many people enjoy volunteering on the range. My experience in the past 25 years has been that when the launch fees go past $10/day, people start to expect they can fly without helping.

Of the items you listed, the one that stand out is paying for club equipment. That is infrastructure that most clubs pay for across multiple events and other club fundraising means. Does that mean the range fee will go down next time because this launch paid for the equipment? And it really is going to work this time? ;-)

The cost that is understandable is prep and compensation for the farmer's land. I hadn't expected that. Makes sense! It raises it past the common threshold of $10/day or $25-$30 for an event like this into the $35-$40 range.

It'll be a good time. I hope my vacation trip lines up again with that weekend!

Hi I am new to rocketry but not to running volunteer events R/C and MCY fun runs in my case (proceeds went to local hospitals)

Clearly the spirit of volunteerism seems lost here! you will always struggle at the last minute to fill a spot somewhere and a handful of people will do all the work. trying to purchase labor in what seems like a volunteer run event will set you up for a bunch of trouble. not sure how much a rocket event costs but a quick look around seems like they are $15 to $30 depending on whether or not your charge memberships?

Anyway, if i was putting together a dice run and i couldn't get volunteers to do stuff I would stop having the events...

I don't think the spirit of volunteerism is lost. There are always people who are happy to jump in and fill spots where needed. The intent isn't to purchase labor, the gift cards have no cash value. We want to show appreciation for their hard work and at the same time, help boost sales at our vendors. seems like a win win.

Of the items you listed, the one that stand out is paying for club equipment. That is infrastructure that most clubs pay for across multiple events and other club fundraising means. Does that mean the range fee will go down next time because this launch paid for the equipment? And it really is going to work this time? ;-)

It's been spread over the years, surely. But 1010 rails only last so long before the spark monsters eat them :)

It may be more a day than people are used to. But, We're shooting for a lower turnout than LDRS. We did pretty well with 300 people trying to push out all their big flights in 2 days, knowing that Sat/Sun/monday were a washout. With 100 people or so and three days.... there should be zero waits for pads. At least thats the plan. So while there may be less 'days' for the dollar.... you're going to get a lot more freedom on flying time, and less aggravation. I bet you'll find doing several major flights a day much more enjoyable and without worry.

Great feedback
Urrf 2 averaged 32.50 per flyer averaged by early and mid registration costs. If your a member its $35 if your not its $ 40 or 7.50 more $ 2.50 per day. Almost nothing for what the club is putting forward for the flyers and vendors. It is the intent to allow and get younger and others involved in the experience. Most realize once involved that the experience of rocketry extends far past building and flying. We want to encourage and build the hobby for those today and tomorrow. For anyone worried about $ 2.50 more per day sign up and experience another piece of the hobby. This hobby needs Clubs, Vendors and flyers to maintain balance and continue to grow and exist.
I look forward to this year great people good times and new faces. If you have never tried out for a spot make this your first, try one spot we will walk you through it. It will open your eyes to a whole other side and many new friends. Its rocketry we think outside the box to make things work better. Lets have fun together I am ready.

So....it cost as much as a CTI 38mm 3 grain motor to register, that's a baby I....
I plan to fly at least one if not two N motors, along with a couple of M's and K's.....
I'll use 32 ematches, whch is 52.80 just for those 6 flights. In ematches.......

It's just a drop in the bucket.

And I get some pretty wide open space, a high waiver. The people there know me and know I can do what I do, so RSO of my big projects isn't a pain...

I think that's the way to think about the cost. I guess it might be different if you're going to crack off a couple of estes flights, but I wonder how many people who complain about the cost are really only gonna fly that?????

Know what? They can charge whatever they like. If we don't like it we don't have to go. I wouldn't even bat an eye at what they are charging for this event. I wouldn't even bat an eye at double the price. Looks to me like they are just trying to cover costs. Heck, if URRG wanted to charge more just so they could clear a little profit to make costs easier on the club for the rest of they flying season I wouldn't even have an issue with that.

This is going to be such a fantastic event....
I have been to this clubs launches many times,,
both when there's a major event and when it's a regular monthly club launch...
This club knows how to be hospitable to say the very least...
I have seen these people bend over backwards for flyers that you just wouldn't think possible....
I just can't wait for this weekend...
Man is this going to be a great time....

Teddy

So....it cost as much as a CTI 38mm 3 grain motor to register, that's a baby I....
I plan to fly at least one if not two N motors, along with a couple of M's and K's.....
I'll use 32 ematches, whch is 52.80 just for those 6 flights. In ematches.......

It's just a drop in the bucket.

And I get some pretty wide open space, a high waiver. The people there know me and know I can do what I do, so RSO of my big projects isn't a pain...

I think that's the way to think about the cost. I guess it might be different if you're going to crack off a couple of estes flights, but I wonder how many people who complain about the cost are really only gonna fly that?????

Know what? They can charge whatever they like. If we don't like it we don't have to go. I wouldn't even bat an eye at what they are charging for this event. I wouldn't even bat an eye at double the price. Looks to me like they are just trying to cover costs. Heck, if URRG wanted to charge more just so they could clear a little profit to make costs easier on the club for the rest of they flying season I wouldn't even have an issue with that.

I think you missed the point. Other clubs do just as good a job, or better, and don't require high range fees. I was just trying to understand what the difference was. The difference is that this club has to finance their new equipment, and there are higher costs due to the farm land launch site. Both are understandable, and that is that.

If everyone in the hobby had the attitude you guys have, there would be no newcomers. None of you would have flown your first F/G or I or K or M, etc. "I'm going to spend $3000 this weekend so they could charge whatever they want". "If you don't like it, don't come". That's a great pay-forward attitude!

Volunteering with no fees, making a voluntary donation to help a club, giving a newcomers a free kit or motor, having a fundraiser or raffle to pay for new equipment, etc.... these are the things that make for healthy clubs all across the US of A. Taxing the flyers and giving them a refund if they sign up for duty, sounds plain un-American.

You're going to run into an issue calling this group unamerican. Just throwing that out there ;)

We do tons to support new fliers. The best time for them to learn is not at major launches. This is not a recruitment weekend. Sure, it gets attention and people come out and learn. Spectators will always be free. I'd rather see new fliers on a weekend with ten guys there so we can devote more time to helping them out. Big launches are the time to come off and kick off your best flights - of any size. But no, it's not about recruitment. Hell any event fee is a bad taste for new people.

Taxing the flyers and giving them a refund if they sign up for duty, sounds plain un-American.

100%. American would be taxing the flyers and giving them nothing....

Last edited:
Jsdemar...You ought to run a club sometime that has a big a$$ed launch like URRF.

It would be good for you - builds character.

You're going to run into an issue calling this group unamerican. Just throwing that out there ;)

We do tons to support new fliers. The best time for them to learn is not at major launches. This is not a recruitment weekend. Sure, it gets attention and people come out and learn. Spectators will always be free. I'd rather see new fliers on a weekend with ten guys there so we can devote more time to helping them out. Big launches are the time to come off and kick off your best flights - of any size. But no, it's not about recruitment. Hell any event fee is a bad taste for new people.

Agreed. A national event like this is probably not the place to learn - that is best done in your city park or the monthly local club launch.

I did not bat an eye at the cost when I registered. This is a once a year opportunity for me to go big, and be within one day's drive of home. The field, the waiver, the number of pads, the no waiting, the summer-time weather all have value to me. I already plopped down hundreds of dollars on gear, gas, and lodging. Registration for $20, $30, $40, $50 is all the same to me at this point. Drop in bucket. The URRG guys will be busting their asses to put on this event. Looking forward to it!

I want to make sure we don't come off as dismissive - everyone is welcome here.... We'll have LPR and MPR racks, we're talking about mini and micro rails, etc. But when someone says "I'm only flying low power, is this really worth it for me?" I have to reply -even to some of our own club members- "if you're asking, probably not".

We spent months after LDRS discussing what to do this year. First thing we agreed on was that we could not do another five day launch with 330 fliers. We discussed not doing anything. But, two things, we do need some money to run the club....and with our waiver, people are willing to come out, so why go door to door selling candy bars? And two,we know a lot of people come out to do flights they can't do locally, and we love seeing those flights and people. Sure we could just say "no big launch, just join the club and come out whenever" But that leads to some random weekend we'd have 50-60 people show up and not be prepared. We can easily handle a surge weekend, but when you expect 10-20 and 50 show up - it's not going to be the experience everyone deserves without some planning. So we're doing that planning, loading it all into one awesome weekend, and making the preparations to pull that off in the month with historically the best weather, and no crops. This gives us the chance to put on the best weekend possible.

Looking forward to seeing everyone for a great time.

But when someone says "I'm only flying low power, is this really worth it for me?" I have to reply -even to some of our own club members- "if you're asking, probably not".

To be fair, as one of the club members, I did ask that same question last year prior to LDRS. I am, or really was at the time, primarily a LPR flyer. But I went anyway, then I understood the difference, and why the fees are what they are. Since then, I moved into midpower, gained Level-1 cert, and have dabbled in smaller HPR stuff. But I still fly a lot of LPR, and will probably get a lot of use out of the MPR mini rails. So, this year I signed up as soon as registration opened, no questions asked. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I get why someone would question the fees - if you haven't been exposed to what goes on.

We used to give free raffle tickets to people who volunteered for a shift. And the raffle prizes were donated by the vendors as free advertising. No money exchanging hands.

I would like to clarify that the vendors are donating a portion of these gift cards. There is no way we could fund all the gift cards without the Vendors help. but instead of getting a raffle ticket with a chance to win a prize you may or may not be able to use, they are getting a gift card they can use at any rocketry vendor on any item they like.

I would like to clarify that the vendors are donating a portion of these gift cards. There is no way we could fund all the gift cards without the Vendors help. but instead of getting a raffle ticket with a chance to win a prize you may or may not be able to use, they are getting a gift card they can use at any rocketry vendor on any item they like.

I don't know which one of you came up with this idea
but as one of the vendors doing the donating
I think this is nothing short of brilliant...
Instead of the same old "I may win something that won't be what I'd have spent my money on if I had the choice",,
this guarantees every person that gets these gift cards will spend them on EXACTLY what they want,,
at any vendor at the event.....
AND I'd bet you'll have more volunteerism then ever.....

Man,, whoever at URRG thought this one up is getting one heck of a slap on the back from me....
What a great idea....

Teddy

I think you missed the point. Other clubs do just as good a job, or better, and don't require high range fees. I was just trying to understand what the difference was. The difference is that this club has to finance their new equipment, and there are higher costs due to the farm land launch site. Both are understandable, and that is that.

If everyone in the hobby had the attitude you guys have, there would be no newcomers. None of you would have flown your first F/G or I or K or M, etc. "I'm going to spend $3000 this weekend so they could charge whatever they want". "If you don't like it, don't come". That's a great pay-forward attitude!

Volunteering with no fees, making a voluntary donation to help a club, giving a newcomers a free kit or motor, having a fundraiser or raffle to pay for new equipment, etc.... these are the things that make for healthy clubs all across the US of A. Taxing the flyers and giving them a refund if they sign up for duty, sounds plain un-American.

A. Don't ever talk to me about being un-American. I'm a disabled vet. You???
B. No one, ever, says you have to come to a launch for whatever reason you don't want to be there - price, venders, color of the dirt, number of port-a-johns. If you don't want to come, don't. (BTW, whatever your reason, I respect it to be your reason.
C. Stop flaming the club's event thread. It's just not cool. If you feel the need to state why you're not coming, email the promoter. Do it with class and don't make a public stink. We're too small of a group for that nonsense. No, I'm not even a member of URRG in case you have a question about that.
D. Questions? Feel free to PM me. Then we can have a off-line discussion. I'll even promise to type slowly and use small words.

Jsdemar...You ought to run a club sometime that has a big a$$ed launch like URRF.

LOL! Yes John you should someday........ :lol:

Agreed. Someone within the ranks of Michiana might be stealing that idea haha.

Ha,,,
That's the very first thing I told them when they told of this idea....
Man,,, that is getting sooo ripped off... lol...

Hey Rick,,
On a serious note...
I'd like to thank you for your service....

Teddy

I believe this idea has a big ole LW stamped on it.

We'll let people know how it works out...but the Vol. list is already filling up at a steady clip....

Thanks guys for really thinking about this. Our present BOD is a complete cross section of twisted minds that work to a synchronized common goal. It extends beyond our club and is contagious.

If I were a little short on funds and someone had a deal like this I would keep my mouth shut grab 2 shifts a day spend 60 bucks on my favorite rocket stuff and leave money ahead while flying rockets all weekend. The only way this could be a problem is if someone refuses to admit that someone else is working so they can fly.

The best kept secret is what I have gotten from the rocket hobby that had nothing to do with flying the rockets. I stumbled into LDRS 29 and got hooked. Somebody recruited me to build pads for LDRS 31. I caught a break to fly a bit and got exposed to some ex guys who enabled my addiction to their chemicals.

The last few years have been split between helping support the hobby flying and building. I have worked a lot of the pad manager’s job. I got to know more people and rockets from that. They share their knowledge and experience with information I couldn’t pay for. I plan on moving to other duties as I can only imagine what is out there.

I have made more friends and can’t believe what I have seen that I would have never thought of myself. I feel like I am cheating it’s been so fun.

As I get older in life I realize most of my problems I created myself. I wish someone would have told me sooner.

Edited my reply to not make this about me after you made that personal attack.

Last edited:
You keep hammering away at the fee. I really believe you're only here to cause trouble, so I'm done debating this. Go elsewhere troll.

Well with a resume like that then you of all people ought to know how utterly classless it is to hammer a club like this. And with your resume that just makes me even more disappointed in you. Go take your axe to grind elsewhere. URRG runs a great launch.

-Dave

From the perspective of an independent observer (and a new URRG member) jsdemar was not hammering the club AT ALL!. He asked a question about launch fees, got a perfectly fine explanation from DizWolf and the next post later jsdemar said "good reasons and good answers" and was satisfied with the answer. (Go back and read the posts and point out where I am mistaken). Then others who are not part of the discussion or club jumped in and raised the temperature of the thread.

It seems that some doth protest too much.

For 25 years in HPR, I've never paid anything near that unless it was a national event.

Inflation?

Why the harping on "national event?" Seems to me the size and details of the event dictate the price, not who is organizing it. What is the definition of "national event", anyway? If the mothership organization (NAR, Triploli) was running the show, then wouldn't they be able to leverage their scale and run the event at less cost?

Back