Upstate Research Rocketry Festival 3 - RAFFLE SCHEDULE POSTED - CC taken on site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to echo what everyone else is saying and add that I am proud to be a member of URRG.

Thank you URRG BoD, vendors, and all of the volunteers for your efforts. It was very obvious that a lot of thought went into organizing this event, and I am looking forward to URRF IV.

I do see one problem with the success. URRF IV is likely to attract more fliers, which means I may have to wait longer in the popsicle line...those were 3 hot days!

Last edited:
I have to echo what everyone else is saying and add that I am proud to be a member of URRG.

Thank you URRG BoD, vendors and all of the volunteers for your efforts. It was very obvious that a lot of thought went into organizing this event, and I am looking forward to URRF IV.

I do see with one problem the success. URRF IV is likely to attract more fliers, which means I may have to wait longer in the popsicle line...those were 3 hot days!

+1.......
You should all be quite proud of yourselves...
This event went off like it was being organized and run by a bunch of seasoned professionals.......

Teddy

Hi Everyone,

What a great weekend to host such a great event like URRF 3 on.

Everyone had a fantastic time launching rockets at Potter, NY, and we had several BFR's launched through out the whole weekend as well.

I just wanted to impart to all of you something that was said to me by one of the BFR Flyers this weekend.

We had a 'Power Group' of BFR Flyers all camped out in a small compound together along the back tree line. They were Jerry O'Sullivan, Mitch Guess, John Ritz, and Randy Applebaum. A group of high power flyers that I'm sure everyone knows of. And as the BFR Manager for the event I visited their compound several times through out the weekend.

Well one of the times I had arranged for transportation for John and Randy to be taken out to the away pads to launch a rocket for each of them, I was able to be present with Randy and John as their rockets were launched. John launched first and as usual it was a perfect flight up and the recovery was easily seen to come down somewhat out beyond the 'mile bridge'. John decided to wait for Randy's rocket to launch instead of going to get his rocket right away, he told both Randy and I that he didn't care if his rocket sat out there for a while since the main thing that he loved about flying in Potter was that the Farmers and Mennonites that lived in the area will always return any rocket they find that may be lost, not pick it up and ransom it for $300 like some of the other launch sites that he has been to before.

So now let me tell you of another very happy reunion that is happening because of this weekend.

While we were setting up for the event on Wednesday we had one of the farm workers come out and tell us that someone brought back a 'big' rocket motor and given it to Rick, the farm manager. So as the liaison for the club and since it was too late that day to talk to Rick then, when I drove onto the farm on Friday morning I stopped to see Rick and ask about the motor. Rick handed it to me and I brought it to lost and found. The whole committee was trying to figure out who lost it and how long ago that even was since the eye bolt in the forward closure was rusted very badly and seized just like both the forward and rear closures were. Once we got the pitiful chunk of motor tube and related junk off of it we found Donald Ball's name etched onto it.

Well Don is one of my Facebook friends so Monday I sent him a P.M. about it and he responded fairly quickly. Oh, he remembered it very well, even when he lost it.
(And your all going to love this part)
Don had taken part in the L900 Dark Matter Drag race we had at LDRS 31 and it was in the booster section of his Thor rocket that came up missing. Yes, people for those of you trying to figure out the math, that was FOUR years ago! I have now made arrangements with Don to ship it back to him in Georgia.

So the reason I wanted to inform all of you of this happy Reunion, as well as John Ritz's Story, was to let all who may have lost a rocket in Potter, NY to know to keep having hope. Because if there is anything left of your rocket to find, no matter how long it may take, or how much of it still exists,
You Will Get What's Found Back!

Thank you for your time, and I'm sorry for being so long winded.

(Sorry folks, it seems that I was mixing up my LDRS's and Drag Races, it's all fixed now.)

Last edited:
What a great time. Most fliers ever for URRF. And no waiting. Great weather. Good friends.

We had a great crew, and we'll be doing again next year. June 23-25. Save the weekend!

My photos from the event:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/albums/72157667622473894

Most of the pics are of other people's stuff, and I probably can't tell you who's is who's beyond a couple of them. I only launched a few rockets myself, mostly identifiable by having close-up shots on the pad. But it was a great weekend all around, lots of cool stuff flying!

On board video of Bill Good's AGM-78 Standard Arm on one of my N4000 Mad River White Research motors. Issues with the main chute deploying and some damage upon landing. The rocket is in the shop right now awaiting repairs. We still need to load the currently yet unused four 75mm holes and load this puppy up.

https://youtu.be/yyacnnGXAqw

AWESOME Fin Alignment on this one! Didn't rotate at all! Sorry it had recovery issues!

My photos from the event:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/albums/72157667622473894

Most of the pics are of other people's stuff, and I probably can't tell you who's is who's beyond a couple of them. I only launched a few rockets myself, mostly identifiable by having close-up shots on the pad. But it was a great weekend all around, lots of cool stuff flying!

Rick,

Really nice sequence of photos on my Super Phoenix glider. Thanks.

Put me down for next year. Great launch!! Thanks to all.

Last edited:
I was able to scrape enough media to put together a new video...I really need to pick up a couple of GoPros!

[video]https://youtu.be/QgOPMvseG80[/video]

Really like the extended thunder clap as the rocket accelerated out of sight. Motor or sound barrier?

Really like the extended thunder clap as the rocket accelerated out of sight. Motor or sound barrier?

Motor. People on the ground under an ascending rocket are not in the boom carpet. Plus, the over pressure generated from a rocket breaking the sound barrier is quite small and almost certainly lost in the background noise.

Thought I'd post the on-board video from my 4-stage attempt. The fourth stage motor didn't light because of an error I made in the Raven program.

https://youtu.be/yrWIXPJamlc

...Fred

Fred that is a great video! I saw the launch and although the 4th stage didn't light it was awesome to watch.

BTW thanks for picking up my rocket and saving me the extra drive, which at 5mph is a killer.

Nice flight! I love watching those boosters pop off...

Saw you on the flight line holding your daughter. I said to myself, "That's something you don't always see at a rocket launch... somebody with their priorities straight". Catch you there next year. Maybe I'll get the 4th stage to light then.

Wow,,
What a video Fred...
That was seriously cool when the tower was raising and you can see the shadow of the 4 stages,, lol...
Smokin flight...

Fred,,
Was that the exact same flight that you put up at MWP last year and went off perfectly ???

Always nice to see all of you guy's that I don't see often enough,, Gary D, Michael P, Glenn I..
There were so many I'm sure I'm forgetting some...
What a great launch...

Teddy

There's a handful of folks I trust launching a 4-stage HPR and Fred is on the top of my list. I've seen him launch this rocket as a 2-stage, 3-stage and 4-stage rocket. In all cases, his contingency plans for a failed upper stage ignition were well thought out, and even when a stage did not ignite, it recovered safely.

Bravo and well done Fred!

Saw you on the flight line holding your daughter. I said to myself, "That's something you don't always see at a rocket launch... somebody with their priorities straight". Catch you there next year. Maybe I'll get the 4th stage to light then.

Thanks Fred :) She likes watching the rockets fly and was quite sad we haven't built her Mini Fat Boy yet. I'll definitely be out again next year, should have something flying again by then.

That stage was up there even without lighting...

That was a very interesting flight. Who cares the 4th stage didn't fire, still got up there and the electronics did their job on the down side. Fred make it look easy but in reality, it isn't. I really like watching the stages fall away. Kurt

These were our Raffle Winners

Scorpion Winner Bill McDougal
$50 URRG Gift card for vendors on fld Winner Kevin Wuchevich
Pref V-2 Winner Linda Pyke
Mac Pref Arcas Winner Fred Traverni
Pref Big Cletus Winner Brad Oestreicher
Wld Man Demon 98 Winner Tim Wiant
Mac Pref FNC Winner Tom Van Durme
$50 URRG Gift card for vendors on fld Winner Dan Tyszka
Pref Mini Mag Winner Larry Weibert

check them out 9 prizes were won.

First up we had some MAC Performance kits-

3" Scorpion with a 38mm mount
Scorpion_015b7ba5-b289-4d08-8328-8b3288de0e62_1024x1024.jpg

3" Arcas Dual Deploy kit with a 54mm mount
Photo_ARCAS_1024x1024.jpg

And a 4" 3FNC with a 38mm mount
3FNC_Out_1024x1024.jpg

Performance Hobbies will have the next few kits in the Raffle-
4" LOC V2
loc4v2.jpg

5.5" LOC Big Cletus
PK-83-BigCletus-webtable-4-fin.jpg

and a 5.5" Mini Magg
locminiemagg.jpg

Wildman is also kicking in to the party and donating a DEMON 98 kit with 54mm mount!

demon98.jpg

All vendors will be on site with trailers full of gear. Please call them up and order a pile of motors to pick up without having to worry about Haz-mat or shipping delays.

URRF is just 2 weeks away! If you haven't already, get on the website and register! You can also get discounted raffle tickets online! Make sure you sign up for a volunteer position or two so you can get some extra $$ for vendors.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back