Couple builds-

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Finishing up a couple builds I had on my mind and the parts hanging around to sacrifice.
BT60 size - Both are thru wall balsa papered fins- jb weld fillets - papered balsa centering rings , ect.
Yeah overbuilt :) But why not. I do have a couple concerns about the overstability in the soon to be Pink Panther - obviously the pink and white one. It really seems to want to weathercock in a moderated wind in my sims. Any suggestions besides pick my days wisely ?

Pink Panther Complete less decals 1.jpg

Pink Panther and 2nd build 1.jpg

Pretty rocket.
Fins don't look overly large, actually look pretty proportionate to length.
I am surprised sims are weathercocking, unless you have a ton of nose weight I'm not seeing.
If you have added nose weight, could consider reducing nose weight an re-simming.
Nobody can every argue with picking your days for flight wisely, particularly for a first flight :wink:

Straight trails,

Tom

Thanks Tom, I had some numbers wrong on a few sims I ran - doooh. So Hopefully it will be fine, still gonna wait for a good day though for first flight.
Id like to sneak my way up to an F21W6 as that sims very well, but my concern starts to become recovery without a tracker.
Open to suggestions as far as recovery - chute / streamer ? if chute what size ? ect. How heavy and big is too big for streamer recovery?

Open to suggestions as far as recovery - chute / streamer ? if chute what size ? ect. How heavy and big is too big for streamer recovery?

This may be helpful
https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html

Put in weight and leave streamer width blank and it will automatically apply the 10 to 1 streamer length to width ratio. Once your ration exceeds 10' any additional length doesn't give you much bang (drag) for your buck (inch)

Last edited:
Back