Loki Research 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 76mm current 76mm bulkhead protrudes from the from any 76mm Loki case by a distance of 1 & 9/16" (1.5625) This includes the head bolt.
The front of the thrust ring is located .760" from the end of the case and the 76/8000 case is 40.875" long.

So from the top of the head bolt to the front of the thrust ring on the 76/8000, the distance is 41.678. Round it up and make it 41 & 11/16"

This is info that should be added to the Loki website somewhere for all the FWD closures, either in the FAQ section or the tech specs, IMO. I was wondering myself how much the 54mm extended closure adds for a future project.

This is info that should be added to the Loki website somewhere for all the FWD closures, either in the FAQ section or the tech specs, IMO. I was wondering myself how much the 54mm extended closure adds for a future project.

I completely agree. One of these days when I have a good deal of extra time on my hands, I'd like go over and redo the entire tech page and add stuff like the bulkhead lengths past the end of a case.

Al..... don't keep us waiting. ;-)

Giddy up! What kind of igniter did you use Al?

FYI, you can use Twiggies in these smaller 38mm Cocktail motors since the cores are so small in the upper grains. Or you can use what Al did for instant satisfaction.

Very nice. Thanks for the video Justin! :)

Big thanks to Scott. I had a tight deadline to my lazyiness and needed a motor asap. Scott made it happen in 2 days from MO to UT

IIRC, it went to about 3K. It's a 5# 4" diameter rocket similar to an EZI-65. The rocket is a little beat up since it has over 100 flights on it. :)

It has plywood fins and paper loc airframe, plastic loc nosecone, with fiberglass patches holding it all together after 102 flights since 1996 :)

I don't know what everyone else is planning for Airfest, but I've got a slew of Loki motors to fly.

I110
I210
I377
J320
J528
and the flight I'm most excited about - J820 airstarting 2 I316s.

Flew a G70LC and a G94IB this weekend-

G70LC
29248583841_a83f8a0679_z.jpg
29293753086_ba380a9d5a_z.jpg

G94IB
28706601923_43bc42c2b2_z.jpg
28706596813_2fd5dd5c84_z.jpg

If you're on the fence about a polish, this is two twists with a towel-

28682298634_3a33768672_z.jpg
28682294134_74da326efb_z.jpg

My wife decided I was buying a house. I see many G80LW's in my future ;)

My wife just did the same for me, then informed me that if I wanted to continue funding my projects, I would: A) need to work overtime or B) get a second job. Hmmm, we'll see!

My wife just did the same for me, then informed me that if I wanted to continue funding my projects, I would: A) need to work overtime or B) get a second job. Hmmm, we'll see!

The answer is to say yes to everything. "Honey, I'd like to get a new Turkey gun. It's only $1200 but it will be worth $2500 in a couple years", "Honey, lets go to Alaska next anniversary--a cruise maybe?", "Honey, can I have a new programmable embroidery machine." My answer is "yes", "yes" and "yes" which puts me some $15,000 ahead in the hobby vs hobby comparison.

Last edited:
The answer is to say yes to everything. "Honey, I'd like to get a new Turkey gun. It's only $1200 but it will be worth $2500 in a couple years", "Honey, lets go to Alaska next anniversary--a cruise maybe?", "Honey, can I have a new programmable embroidery machine." My answer is "yes", "yes" and "yes" which puts me some $15,000 ahead in the hobby vs hobby comparison.

My mother spent more on embroidery machines than I have on motorcycles.... *shudder*

saying yes is just good protocol.

When I was at NSL this year, I was at Chris's rocket supplies tent, eyeing up the Loki cases. My wife said "Didn't you always want one of those 38mm K motors?". I said "Yeah, but I'd have to buy the case, and the reload.. it's a lot of cash you know". "You should buy it!"

end result:
[video=youtube;-hTunraVFF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTunraVFF4[/video]

Wow. What'd you get for altitude?

Here's the RRC3 output. I'm a little suspicious of the velocity, as it's 400mph faster than what OR tells me it should get. The altitude is a little lower than expected as the rocket went downrange 1.7 miles (you can see it coming off the rail a little funky in the video).

k1127 stats.jpg

Either way, it's one hell of a motor :)

Greg,

Sorry I haven't had time to get back with you on the rod whip. I've seen a lot of clubs that have their very sturdy rails bolted to a large rod and the rod gets mounted into the pad. To make matters worse, they attach the blast shied to the rail/rod setup. With a high thrust motor, the blast shield acts like a large lever torquing the rod AND rail and so you get rod whip off a rail. The KLOUDbusters pads are a great design since the blast shied is welded to the legs of the pad which FIRMLY plants the pad to the ground when it gets hit with a ton on thrust, and they get no rail whip. Plus they stack on top of each other in the storage container very well.

I think you need to burn another one and verify your data there. ;-)

If you're going to AIRfest, stop by one of the 3 Loki Research dealer booths, myself, One Bad Hawk, and Chris's Rocketry Supplies. We're going to have some nice hardware/reload specials at the launch. Don't ask what they are just yet though because it's not been finalized yet.

Thanks,

I had a less than optimal first flight on my Mongoose 54. Flown on a J250, it looked normal until I recovered it and discovered a large hole in the fincan just above where the internal motor retainer was attached. This was documented in my build thread on page 5, post #140 here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130487-Wayco-s-RW-Mongoose-54-build/page5

[FONT=&amp]Since that time, I have received a 60" piece of 54mm CF tubing and a Binder design fincan to fit it. The longer tube will allow me to fly this rocket with the Loki 54/4000 casing and L2050 reload.
002.jpg

Left to right is the original Mongoose fincan with a hole in it, the LOKI 54/4000 motor casing and the new 60" piece of CF tubing with the Binder design fincan attached. I'm thinking about doing a quick and dirty flight with the new fincan and a smaller motor friction fit just to see if the new components will work together. My real concern is when I fly the LOKI L2050 with over a foot of unsupported CF tubing above the top of the motor casing.
I still need to add the new components into OR and see what I get for G loading and speed, but am looking for comments from other fliers that have flown the Loki L2050 and what the results were.
[/FONT]

If you're on the fence about a polish, this is two twists with a towel-

28682298634_3a33768672_z.jpg
28682294134_74da326efb_z.jpg
Wow... The white didn't clean quite that well, even off the polished nozzle I've got, But I'm definitely planning to continue getting the polished versions if I can. Is there any way to get my nozzles like that through the dealers, or is it only straight from Scott?

Wow... The white didn't clean quite that well, even off the polished nozzle I've got, But I'm definitely planning to continue getting the polished versions if I can. Is there any way to get my nozzles like that through the dealers, or is it only straight from Scott?

I bought some from Chris Short and had to send them back to Scott for polishing.

That nozzle has seen a G80, G69, G70 and a G94.... clean up in between each. My 1200 cases nozzle looks about the same after a pair of K1127's and a J1026

We have the option and I am thinking about doing it on all of my future hardware.

Back