Retro Centuri Shuttle-sort of RCRG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G80 might work once......till the wing ripped off....

For free flight a friend suggested using a single piece elevator accross the wing. Since in free flight it doesn't need to move down, just up and it makes it less likely to get an assymetry into your glide. You can add in slight bank via a little wing tip weight if needed. You could move the central rudder forward, or take a chance that lateral stability is ok and remove it completely. Or upsize the wing tips slightly to compensate if that makes a single piece elevator easy.

Frank

Thanks for the single elevator idea. That would work kind of like the Scissor Wing Transport (or whatever it's called...). The same sort of "fixture" that holds the elevator flat during boost, could hold a rudder tab centered, then allow it to kick to the side a bit.

Stupid question...

I just looked at the cost of a 24mm RC case. It's about $90 - twice the price of a "normal" 24mm RMS case. Is there any way to use a reload for thee RC case in the non-RC case? I've got a top closure that was ruined by blow-by. It could easily be converted to a plugged closure.

Rocketarium has them for $57, or you can contact mike at bay area rocketry and mention dynsoarrocketry and he said he would do the rc cases for under $60.

As for using the standard casing there are a couple of issues. Standard casing reloads have a .032 fiber washer in the front that is the full diameter of the liner tube, which butts up against the o-ring and flange of the forward closure. If you try use an RC reload in the standard casing without this fiber disk spacer the nozzle will actually push the liner tube forward past the flange on the forward closure and you won't get sufficient tension on the o-ring at the rear to seal the motor. In the RC casing it is slightly shorter on the inside dimension and does not need this fiber spacer. I have done an experiment using a .03 thick steel washer filed to fit into the standard casing with a small jb weld plug in the hole of the washer to butt against the standard casing flange and the reloads do seem to work fine and I don't get any blow forward as the motor burns out. This is only good for the endburning D-7, E-7 and E-6 motors where there is no pressure/burn front on the forward end. However this is a motor modification and is not NAR approved so you can only do this if you fly from a private site. Same if you were to put an epoxy plug in a D-12-0 or E-12-0 motor...I've tried to work with Karl Bauman to see if he can figure out a way to include a fiber forward disk to take up this space to allow using the end burning motors in standard cases but he has not gotten back to me yet.

Stupid question...

I just looked at the cost of a 24mm RC case. It's about $90 - twice the price of a "normal" 24mm RMS case. Is there any way to use a reload for thee RC case in the non-RC case? I've got a top closure that was ruined by blow-by. It could easily be converted to a plugged closure.

Last edited:
Back