RC Bomarc rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are great Tom, I have not had anyone else send me any feedback on the kits I made them, so I assume no-one else has flown them yet. My second prototype I got down to 14.5 ounces rtf and have been flying it on E-6's...nice easy boost, about the same altitude as the E-12 but a softer boost....

Frank

My original prototype was made with spare parts and was an ounce heavier than the kits I made. This second one was made just like the kit, it isn't that it was that much lighter, to make the glide significantly different, but it was light enough to boost on the E-6 and not require the faster burning but less powerful E-12 motors. It should fly on any of these motors including the E-15's, the faster burn just gives less time to steer/adjust on boost. In any case, I sold out of the kits now, and it's too much $$ up front to buy all the tubes and cones for another batch, I'd need to buy enough for six at a time so that the parts shipping to me was absorbed, and I don't think there was enough interest at the price point I had to charge to pay for all of the pre-fab work to get six pre-order commits.

Frank

Can the second prototype take the Aerotech SU F15 motor and is lighter model easier to fly?

A real shame there are not a few more rocket folks that are also competent RC folks. There would be a larger market for RC rocket glider kits.

The folks like Frank and me and Dave Schafer that have one foot pretty firmly in both hobbies are just not that common. I bet there are only three or four dozen of us in the whole country.

A real shame there are not a few more rocket folks that are also competent RC folks. There would be a larger market for RC rocket glider kits.

The folks like Frank and me and Dave Schafer that have one foot pretty firmly in both hobbies are just not that common. I bet there are only three or four dozen of us in the whole country.

I was one of two at my field....Rob Edmonds (Edmonds Aerospace - designer of the Arcie) hasn't been around lately.
https://archive.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/edm_archie_ii.shtml

I get some oohs and ahhs flying the Aerotech Phoenix and Wasatch SST (based on George's original design) - but no one has taken up this side of the sport as yet.

I would think the NAR S-8 competition flyers might amount to a bunch...kind of a different sector.

Last edited:
I was frankly surprised that the interest in general I got for my kits was more than I expected for such a small market, several have bought more than one of my kits, but these are pretty easy to fly in general, this one just glides a bit faster/steeper and I was trying to discourage people that weren't pretty confident in their flying to get this kit. I think you are right that really good rc pilots and serious rocket guys are probably just a handful. S8E guys aren't interested in general in my kits because they are sport scale and aren't long duration gliders that they normally like to fly.

Tom, I had a very nice flight this weekend on an E-6 motor in my bomarc, nice gentle boost, very controlable, equally as high as the E-12 motor or E-15 but just less stressful and quick.....Frank

By any chance were you in the Fort Walton (Eglin) area in 58/59? I was, while my Boeing father was working on the project. We also spent a few years on Cape Cod while the Otis installations were completed. He was never assigned to Bangor. After that, my dad was off to Minuteman (Seattle, Montana, South Dakota, Missouri) and finally the SIC build in New Orleans. Any crossover?

Not me, wasn't born till 66, dad spent 20 years on minuteman, then IUS

I did see a Vandenberg test launch of minuteman in 1977, from a distance when we took a family/work trip.

He was always bringing back jackelope souvenirs, must have been from Montana.

Frank

Last edited:
Updating with all of my bomarc RC RG flights, along with some pusher flight as well(electric)

Also sharing two drawings, of the A and B models, you can see the difference in wing location and ramjets(further forward in B Model.

FB_IMG_1553999713950.jpg FB_IMG_1554015601872.jpg

Last edited:
Back