The Expanse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
Any of you watching "The Expanse" the new series on the SyFy channel? I just caught up on the episodes that I had recorded and was quite impressed. Good special effects and characters with an interesting vision of the future.

https://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/about

Yes, I am. I think it's been pretty good so far. At first I thought the actors playing Amos and Alex didn't all fit the characters in the book very well, but I'm getting used to them.

I have watched the episodes so far, I think 3 or 4, and like it. I didn't read the book ad did not know it was based on one, but it does not surprise me there it is, and for those that read it I can see them being a bit more hard on the show. So far I don't know where it is going which is a good thing. It is also shot at a studio located about 30 min from me.

Watching it and not sure how I feel about it...
I like it, but I hope it doesn't turn into too much of a soap opera. I liked the first season of BSG, but then it got more soap opera-ish to me and less science fiction-ish (I know, blasphemy...).

Adrian

I have a hard time digesting that stupid looking hat. It has to be the all-time worst prop.

I'm currently in the third book as of this comment. The first two books are awesome but the third book leaves something to be desired. The series, just seems rushed and little things that wouldn't take more time (dialogue) have been changed from the book and it's a shame. Now that I see in the book that Miller wears a pork pie hat, I guess I'll have to excuse its inclusion in the series.

Going to rewatch Season 1 over again (SYFY OnDemand) now that I have listened to the first three books.

First show from *sigh* "SyFy" in years that didn't make me remember how irritated I was when they stopped publishing short stories online.

Just picked it up on DVD. I hope they stay as true as they have been to the books and don't screw it up.

So far, there's been differences, some big. You know, if you have DirecTV, you could have watched all the episodes on SYFY OnDemand

Just finished binge-watching the first season. While they changed some things, the changes didn't really change the plot or direction of the story. My previous statements are all wet and this series is much better than I previously thought. One thing though, is they didn't have the funny quips from the book. This show has taken the path of dark and serious. The character Amos actually comes off a lot more serious and scary than he was in the book. In the book, Amos was a pretty care-free guy who made light of things but would get very serious about things when needed. In the show, he's just serious and scary. Not a bad thing, in my mind, especially since all the light humor of the book was left out.

Last edited:
Just found this series on my Amazon Prime thingee, and watched the first season over the weekend. It was pretty darn good!

I also ordered the books, I usually prefer the books to the TV/movies, but in the evening I'm so darned tired it is easier sometimes to just turn the TV on and veg-out.

The season 2 premier was good. Pretty much picked up where season 1 left off. I'll keep watching until I get bored...

Just found this series on my Amazon Prime thingee, and watched the first season over the weekend. It was pretty darn good!

I also ordered the books, I usually prefer the books to the TV/movies, but in the evening I'm so darned tired it is easier sometimes to just turn the TV on and veg-out.

Enjoy the books, they are enormous. Loved the books, love the show.

Enjoy the books, they are enormous. Loved the books, love the show.

I guess I didn't realize there were books this was based on. Just saw these on Amazon. I guess I'll pick up the first three and see what I think. I see he has just a few more in the series... :eyepop:

I have a hard time digesting that stupid looking hat. It has to be the all-time worst prop.

better the hat than that hair.

I watched the first season over the last ~month and now looking forward to starting on the second. Also just picked up the book (Leviathan Wakes) from the library. Looks meaty.

-e

Well, just hit page 320 of the first book (Leviathan Wakes), and that is where the first season left off. They are up to ?6? books now, so it will be a while before the show gets ahead of the books...

The story is even better than the show (my opinion). It is a nice combo of space flight saga coupled with a detective story, so far.

Back