NYPOWER GENESEO NY MAY 28-30, 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM C

Reaction score
https://nypower.org/

NYPOWER 20

May 28, 29, 30, 2016

Geneseo NY
9000′ AGL Waiver

In May, downwind crops are very low or just recently planted. No lost rockets in the corn or beans! This is the must attend event at the start of the flying season- recently cut grass flying field, easy recovery, and convenient to civilization in Geneseo or Rochester.

Make your plans to attend the 20th NYPOWER. As always this launch will provide the unique experience that only NYPOWER provides. Friendly great rocketeers, huge mowed field, WWII warbirds in the air and on the ground and a great time for all.

NYPOWER is a friendly relaxed launch where micro-max’s and M motored monsters share the field. Rocket maniacs and families with kids are welcome at NYPOWER. There is really no rocket event quite like it in this regard. Our organization will have you on the pad as quickly and efficiently as possible. This is the event to attend if you want to fly fly fly!

The field is a WWII era grass airfield which is now home to the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group museum. You have a 1 mile x 1 mile recovery area and if you exceed that the staff at NYPOWER will do its best to recover your rocket for you. We have chainsaws and the biggest slingshot you’ve ever seen!

https://nypower.org/

........deleted

Last edited:
NYPOWER XX Baby!

Counting the days where you can recover your rocket in your bare feet. Planning the HoJo on an M1830, Stella Blanco (4" Darkstar Extreme) on a L3200Vmax and Kill Bill on an L995. Can't wait!

Two questions-

Do you require tracking on all HPR flights at NYPOWER,

And why do you feel the need to have a rule banning firearms?

Two questions-

Do you require tracking on all HPR flights at NYPOWER,

And why do you feel the need to have a rule banning firearms?

As far as I know NYPOWER does not require trackers because the fields are empty.

As for firearms I thought only large bore calibers were banned.

As far as I know NYPOWER does not require trackers because the fields are empty.

As for firearms I thought only large bore calibers were banned.

Ah, cool.... but I'm going to have to unhitch my cannon... bummer.

This sounds like a great launch for sure....
I can't wait....
I'd love to get in a few cool flights
AND see the warbird museum.....lol....

Teddy

I attended NYPOWER in 2001, I believe it was in July that year. Had a great time; stayed with Elijah Bruin, if anybody remembers him. Would love to attend this year; might have to get me a house/dog sitter and drive out there because after 9/11, I won't fly anymore.

I attended NYPOWER in 2001, I believe it was in July that year. Had a great time; stayed with Elijah Bruin, if anybody remembers him. Would love to attend this year; might have to get me a house/dog sitter and drive out there because after 9/11, I won't fly anymore.

Don't tease me like that Hank... lol...
You know you promised to make a launch on the east coast one of these years....

Teddy

I'm not getting any younger Ted . . . I have to get off my duff and do something before it's too late. A cross country road trip is daunting though.

If you are afraid to fly cuz of 9/11,the terrorists have won. That's sad.

I was afraid before 9/11 and that landing in Chicago was scary. A businesswoman who said she had flown into Chicago many times said that landing had her worried. No, it was just the last straw for me.

Hank,,
I agree that flying would be your best bet...
It would be just way too easy to just rent a car when you got here...
The road trip would have to be done gently,,
if you try to push on a run that far you certainly won't enjoy it...

Hank,, my wife Sandy and I are big on something,,,
Tomorrow isn't promised.....

It sure would be a great / fun experience / trip for you.....
When you got back home you sure would be glad you did it....

Teddy

Train ride on Amtrak, Ca to Chicago 43 hours. Nice scenery along the way through the SW. Spend a day in Chicago shopping and touring. Then Chicago to Rochester, 10 hours. Get sleeper car on the first leg. Fun trip maybe.

Train ride on Amtrak, Ca to Chicago 43 hours. Nice scenery along the way through the SW. Spend a day in Chicago shopping and touring. Then Chicago to Rochester, 10 hours. Get sleeper car on the first leg. Fun trip maybe.

Heyyy Hank,,,,,
Dats a great idea...........

Teddy

Yes, but what about my rockets, range box, motors. I can check and see how I would package things to suit Amtrak.

I would think that the rockets and range box could be packed up and brought along just fine. People do that on airplanes, so I'm sure it'll be ok on a train. The motors, on the other hand, might be better bought onsite at the launch...

Hank I think this boils down to how much stuff do you take to a launch...
If it isn't much you can pack it and buy motors on site...
If it's a lot then you be better off driving...
I am certainly not making light of this trip at all....
I made Airfest this past year and that was a haul at 1450 miles...
IMHO,, much further then that I'd fly.....

Teddy

If you can find a way, go. Not the biggest place or most mind bending waiver, and there are some special rules (no HPR air starts, stages, or clusters). Plus very strict launch angle rules. That aside, one of the nicest bunch of folks you would want to fly with.

Hey, if you do this, the train runs 100 yards behind my house. I'll wave when you pass :)

If you can find a way, go. Not the biggest place or most mind bending waiver, and there are some special rules (no HPR air starts, stages, or clusters). Plus very strict launch angle rules. That aside, one of the nicest bunch of folks you would want to fly with.

In my original post, I mentioned that I was at NYPOWER in 2001. I flew out that time and didn't bring any rockets. A beautiful field and I enjoyed looking at all the old planes on display there. Spent a lot of time helping fliers look for their rockets. Learned first-hand how the Great Lakes create their own weather. Visited a couple of beautiful State Parks (Milk Run?) I think that was its name . . . as you drive in, there's water flowing down in front of you and it looks like milk.

Stayed with a fellow rocketeer and his family near Enfield. He did some vending at the launch, his name is Elijah Bruin; don't know if he's still involved in rocketry.

Really want to bring some rockets this time, but realize I have to be reasonable in my expectations, unless I make the drive myself. Lots to consider.

Last edited:
Visited a couple of beautiful State Parks (Milk Run?) I think that was its name . . . as you drive in, there's water flowing down in front of you and it looks like milk.

If you come out again, consider Letchworth State Park-

14694918126_e7eb14773a_b.jpg

14531532967_6755b9922f_c.jpg

If you come out again, consider Letchworth State Park-

14694918126_e7eb14773a_b.jpg

14531532967_6755b9922f_c.jpg

That's beautiful . . . love waterfalls. Can't remember the other Park I went to, but it had lots of walking paths alongside the water and was somewhere along the route (I think) between Ithaca and Gennesseo.

Back