NYPOWER GENESEO NY MAY 28-30, 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's beautiful . . . love waterfalls. Can't remember the other Park I went to, but it had lots of walking paths alongside the water and was somewhere along the route (I think) between Ithaca and Gennesseo.

If you do drive these guys aren't too far off the path... they look nicer in some light...but I can't seem to find any good photos at the moment

14531643989_b5eafabfb3_b.jpg

14738160703_b036676c5b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Just downstream of Niagara Falls, there is an incredible new (free) elevator down to the Maid of the Mist storage facility/ruins of the old power plant. Highly recommended if you happen to get to NF.

Chris

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1452046113.508008.jpg

Man is that beautiful Dave...
I'd love to hang around for a few days after a launch and see the sites...
The Finger Lakes region has a reputation for being super beautiful for a reason....lol....

Teddy

Perhaps you're thinking of Buttermilk Falls?

Or Watkins Glen.

The Finger Lakes at first glance seem to be mild mannered farm land and wine country, but contain serious gorges, falls, and glens. Pretty neat. I wish it was more natural, without boardwalks, paved paths, and handrails. But, that is typical of natural attractions in the East.

Guys we don't require trackers for use in HP birds at our annual NYPOWER launch, as the crops haven't grown yet. We do when the crops are grown to ensure we are not leaving any rockets behind to be caught by farm equipment during harvest. Kevlar can do some damage to equipment such as combines..

That being said we do have some trackers available to loan to fliers who might like to use them to save themselves time in recovering their rockets, especially in smaller birds that might drift well beyond our usual recovery field.

As to the rod angles, yes we are cautious, but how many fields do you know that are immediately adjacent to million dollar vintage aircraft that allow HP rocket launches??? :smile:

Greg

Reminder looking for ideas for logo and t- shirt concepts please submit ideas by Saturday! You can submit ideas on the MARS Facebook page or the MARS forum!

T-shirt design has been chosen by the members that attend the last meeting. Stay tuned for the winning design!

Wow,,
Very cool,,
I can't wait to see it...
I've tried a little graphic design,,,
it's certainly not easy to come up with a
design that's cool,, good looking,, and kind of flows with the subject matter....

Teddy

Has any one checked the feature flight page at NYPOWER.org??? Some sweet flights planned!!!

... and more to follow! :)

For those wanting to join us flying at night, make sure you have your LEDs ready to go.
We may have some LED sticks that will be available for purchase.

Don't forget the auction of some very rare Estes kits...

WNY folks know how to eat, so we made sure the 3 Legged Pig would be back again with their great BBQ lunches.

Last edited:
Don't forget the auction of some very rare Estes kits...

WNY folks know how to eat, so we made sure the 3 Legged Pig would be back again with their great BBQ lunches.

Sounds like a great time! I've always wanted a Titan IIIe :) No...must not.... mmmmm BBQ......

Oh man I can't wait for this one...
What a gorgeous field,,
and what a fantastic club...
There are so many cool flights going up that you can't find time to go see the aircraft museum,,, lol...

Teddy

As far as I know NYPOWER does not require trackers because the fields are empty.

NYPOWER just recommends them, as it 99% guarantees you'll find your rocket no matter what (excluding the river or a mega shred:y:). The "Requirement" is our local club rule. We launch when crops are high. OOps. I said the C word.

NYPOWER is coming fast. I am currently trying to repair some minor damage to Revenge of the Independence. If I make the progress I hope to make, then Independence shall fly again. Besides, there is no way to shred Revenge of the Independence like the original.

Jim "The shredder"

Last edited:
RV is allowed with permission from club and landowner (in the past you must request from club and club will make request to landowner). No hookups and carry-in carry-out.

Thanks John. I remember quite a few years ago when the airshow was called "wings of eagles" they allowed tent camping. I know NYS tries to regulate everything now!

You can always ask. I think as long there are no more than 3 tent's pitched or something like that NYS doesn't consider the area a campsite. However the last time it was requested (back at NYPOWER 11) the landowner said no to tents but OK for RV.s.

There are campsites nearby at Letchworth State park. Maybe closer ones as well. Just send a note to the contact us person on the website for more ideas.

I've stayed at Southern Shore Campgrounds on Conesus Lake:
Southern Shores Campground
5707 East Lake Road, Conesus, NY 14435
585-346-5482

It's 20 minutes to the launch site.

The NYPOWER Committee has been very busy! A few things to fill people in on.

Saturday is going to be epic,
We are going to leave the High Power Waiver open for as long as the FAA will allow, in our previous experience that will most likely be DUSK.
Starting at 5PM Rochester's favorite BBQ "the 3 Legged Pig" will be serving a Chicken or BBQ rib dinner for a very reasonable price.
At 6PM we will be conducting an auction of many Classic Estes, Centuri kits and a Bunch of classic MOTORS!
When the Sun goes down we will begin a NIGHT LAUNCH!
All weekend we will be holding 2 actual HIGH Power competitions Mach Madness and Mile High

Details on the website https://nypower.org

Auction Details... https://nypower.org/auction/

Don't forget 1 square mile of Mowed grass to launch from and many more of farm land with Low or no crops for easy recovery!

The NYPOWER Committee has been very busy! A few things to fill people in on.

Saturday is going to be epic,
We are going to leave the High Power Waiver open for as long as the FAA will allow, in our previous experience that will most likely be DUSK.
Starting at 5PM Rochester's favorite BBQ "the 3 Legged Pig" will be serving a Chicken or BBQ rib dinner for a very reasonable price.
At 6PM we will be conducting an auction of many Classic Estes, Centuri kits and a Bunch of classic MOTORS!
When the Sun goes down we will begin a NIGHT LAUNCH!
All weekend we will be holding 2 actual HIGH Power competitions Mach Madness and Mile High

Details on the website https://nypower.org

Auction Details... https://nypower.org/auction/

Don't forget 1 square mile of Mowed grass to launch from and many more of farm land with Low or no crops for easy recovery!
This sounds like so much fun do you mind if I show up? I don't have anything planned that week end yet.

You do now Tim...We'll expect to see you in Geneseo. ;)

We have also upgraded our launch system with several of our new sector boxes to be completed and rolled out for this launch. They will eliminate the need for pad boxes going forward.

See you in Geneseo!

Greg

It really seems like it is going to be a tremendous event. I have been to many airshows there over the years, wide open and mowed grass sooo nice, hoping to do my L1.

I don't care how ya hash it out,,,
it's gonna be a dynamite launch and I can't wait...

Teddy

Back