Design Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramus

Reaction score
I want to design a vehicle that has a 4 A-10t-P cluster. I'm using that for the 4A cluster NAR event. I want a lightweight altimeter that will record the apogee and fire a charge that will eject the chute at apogee. I'd like to fit it in the smallest diameter tube possible. Any ideas?

The Eggtimer Quark will "almost" fit in a BT20, it fits fine in a BT50 with lots of room. I put one in an Estes Mongoose easily with a small 1S LiPo battery. I don't know what your motor configuration looks like (i.e. 2x2, 1 + 3 outboard, etc.), if it's 2x2 then you'll need a BT50 anyway.

I might try a 18mm main airframe with pods for the A10P-T (you were mentioning in another thread iirc), so that would be a BT-20 airframe with BT-5 pods (18mm and 13mm tubes). Something similar to this B5 Cluster model. And totally forget about the electronics, since its a altitude event and extra mass may not be your friend (then again optimum weight for more altitude may require some added mass). The rocket in the picture has done very well in several B5 cluster events iirc (the winner used Quest B motors which have just a little more oomph). For the recording altimeters there are several that would fit in a 18mm tube, send Bernard Cawley aka BEC a pm and he can answer lots of competition related questions about altimeters.

1066552_orig.jpg970089_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back