• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

29mm Research Starter Set - 2G, 3G, 4G Set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
If you're looking to give 29mm EX a try, here's your starter set! This set includes:

• Three Motor cases - 2G (100 Ns, 6"), 3G (150 Ns, 8"), 4G (200 Ns, 10")
  • Three graphite nozzles - #12, #15, #17
  • One aluminum bulkhead, tapped for 10-24 eyebolt
  • Three nozzle washers
  • Three thrust rings
  • Seven o-rings
  • Six snap rings

These motors use 2" long propellant grains with 5/16" cores. The motor uses BT-50H as a liner and BT-50 coupler as a casting tube and both are available from Balsa Machining.

Complete set is $135 shipped. Additional bulkheads are $15 each if you'd like to have a bulkhead for each motor. Thanks for looking!

29mm Sale - 1.jpg

29mm Sale - 2.jpg

Last edited:
Is this just a one off set, or are you going to produce these? As I am interested but tapped due to much celebrating and frivolity over the holidays, I would buy them, if I had the filthy lucre to do so. If not where did you procure them, that I might purchase a set when I am solvent once again?

TA

Is this just a one off set, or are you going to produce these? As I am interested but tapped due to much celebrating and frivolity over the holidays, I would buy them, if I had the filthy lucre to do so. If not where did you procure them, that I might purchase a set when I am solvent once again?

TA

I make them semi-regularly. Check out www.facebook.com/PatellManufacturing for some more pictures.

Thanks!

I will now be following you on Facebook. As was said above, no fundage for funage at the moment. But I would like to keep your offerings in mind.

Did I mention that I can re-size the nozzles to whatever you'd like? If you fly sugar motors and need bigger throats, just let me know and I'll do it at no extra charge.

Did I mention that I can re-size the nozzles to whatever you'd like? If you fly sugar motors and need bigger throats, just let me know and I'll do it at no extra charge.

Now I can't because they are sold! If anyone wants more, just let me know...

Hey Dan,
Are you still making EX hardware? I thought I read somewhere that you are done with it.
If you are still making stuff, I’d like a “Pro 29 Starter Set”. (I don’t need 3 complete sets as I don’t plan to load more than one at a time.)
• Three Motor cases - 2G (100 Ns, 6"), 4G (200 Ns, 10"), and 6G (300 Ns, 12"),
• Three graphite nozzles - #12, #17, and #??,
• One aluminum bulkhead, tapped for 10-24 eyebolt,
• One nozzle washer,
• One thrust ring,
• Three o-rings,
• Three snap rings, and
• Will my Pro 29 spacer fit or should I ask you to make one for me?)
Thanks.
Your neighbor to the north,
Matt

Hey Dan,
Are you still making EX hardware? I thought I read somewhere that you are done with it.
If you are still making stuff, I’d like a “Pro 29 Starter Set”. (I don’t need 3 complete sets as I don’t plan to load more than one at a time.)
• Three Motor cases - 2G (100 Ns, 6"), 4G (200 Ns, 10"), and 6G (300 Ns, 12"),
• Three graphite nozzles - #12, #17, and #??,
• One aluminum bulkhead, tapped for 10-24 eyebolt,
• One nozzle washer,
• One thrust ring,
• Three o-rings,
• Three snap rings, and
• Will my Pro 29 spacer fit or should I ask you to make one for me?)
Thanks.
Your neighbor to the north,
Matt

Hey Matt,

My lathe has been quiet for what seems like months now. I recently took a new job that is much more intense than my last, so most of my time is consumed between that and my family. Not complaining, just a lot less motivation to stand at the lathe these days when I get a free hour or two.

I have plenty of raw materials to make what you're looking for, just don't envision having the time in the near future. I know that the next three weekends are consumed, but if I get some time here or there I will make some chips. Someday I need to make a pile of 29mm motors for my Magnum's six outboards, but that has sat for months now as well.

Regarding the spacer...you'd probably need 6 nozzles (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 grains) to get the full array of combinations. I've never used a spacer in my motors, but it could be an option.

We'll chat, but I'm about 30/70 on commitment to rocketry at this point.

Dan doesn't list these cases on his Etsy store anymore. For what it's worth, I'd be interested in a starter set and some of the 3D printed drill guides, if they were to become available again.

Dan doesn't list these cases on his Etsy store anymore. For what it's worth, I'd be interested in a starter set and some of the 3D printed drill guides, if they were to become available again.

Thanks for the interest. I pulled them down because of my above note in post #9...I'm just not reliable these days with finding time to do the manual machining. 3D printing and CNC routing are a different story.

Thanks for the interest. I pulled them down because of my above note in post #9...I'm just not reliable these days with finding time to do the manual machining. 3D printing and CNC routing are a different story.
Bummer I was hoping to acquire a couple of motors later this summer.

Bummer I was hoping to acquire a couple of motors later this summer.

Maybe once I get comfortable in the new role I'll make more time for machining. You're always welcome to shoot me a message to see what's up, my goal is to be realistic and honest with my customers. I don't want to be taking money for stuff that will be significantly delayed, it's just not fair to you all.

Maybe once I get comfortable in the new role I'll make more time for machining. You're always welcome to shoot me a message to see what's up, my goal is to be realistic and honest with my customers. I don't want to be taking money for stuff that will be significantly delayed, it's just not fair to you all.

Integrity. Sadly lacking these days in all areas of life. Kudos.

I have a few of Dan's items, well made and he's always been willing to go above and beyond offering information.

I recently fell down the hobby machining rabbit hole, these things take more time to make than people realize. Or, at least, than I realized. :)

Integrity. Sadly lacking these days in all areas of life. Kudos.

I have a few of Dan's items, well made and he's always been willing to go above and beyond offering information.

I recently fell down the hobby machining rabbit hole, these things take more time to make than people realize. Or, at least, than I realized. :)

I appreciate the kind words!

Congrats on the new job and it's responsibilities. Keep up your focus on the things that matter. Rocketry will be waiting when you catch your breath. If that ever happens, I might be down for a Kosdon 29mm knock off so I can fly the AT KBA loads.

Hey Dan,
Sorry Dan,
Evidently, based on the recent posts, I opened Pandora's rocket motor box. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Thanks for the reply!
First, I lived for nearly 60 years without a set.
More specifically, I'm currently in Okinawa (missing URRF V.). My daughter is due with Grandkid II on the 16th, but she was a week early with the first, so I can relate to and commend your priorities. I'll be good for a while longer.
I was just going to start with three nozzles. (In fact, I was originally going to ask for only the #17.) They will get me through the short term - and probably quite a while into the long term. After that, I have some graphite and Larry W. aka The Weasel showed me how he makes a nozzle in five minutes and I was going try my hand at it.
I am happy whenever you can get "a round toit."
Matt

It might sound crazy, but with vendors as trustworthy as ERR I'll just sometimes prepay the whole bill up front well in advance with the understanding that it'll ship when it's done.

I wouldn't do that for just anybody, mind; but for people who have such a long track record, no worries.

Obviously if they're not taking orders at all due to not-rockets getting in the way, it's maybe a different story.

It might sound crazy, but with vendors as trustworthy as ERR I'll just sometimes prepay the whole bill up front well in advance with the understanding that it'll ship when it's done.

I wouldn't do that for just anybody, mind; but for people who have such a long track record, no worries.

I really appreciate the kind words, again! I also really don't like taking money until a product is done as a hedge against my busy life. Custom orders (For the most part) get billed upon completion.

Obviously if they're not taking orders at all due to not-rockets getting in the way, it's maybe a different story.

But it's my job to inform you all! There's still some now defunct web stores hanging out there that never had clear communication about their involvement or lack thereof.

Back