Chris' Punisher 4 L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Chris, glad I could be there when it happened. I watched the entire flight through binoculars, hoping nothing had come loose. When the main came out, I could tell you had done it! Then I noticed the chute didn't quite make it to the ground.
Almost as good as Sharon's L3 flight at Airfest:
IMG_6120.jpg

Fortunately for her, a retired lineman checked out the line and undid a quick link to recover it.

Wayne,

It was nice to finally meet you and Sharon. I hope you two enjoyed your trip. Maybe we'll see you at LDRS/Dairy Aire.

Other than the 2 hour wait for PGE it was a fun day for us.

I told my wife afterward that every L3 flight I've done had to have some hang up. :facepalm:

Oh well, I've got the sign off. Now I can fly what I want and the only pressure is internal.

Woohoo congratulations Chris! You get the Perseverance 🥇 Award that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I told my wife afterward that every L3 flight I've done had to have some hang up. :facepalm:

Oh well, I've got the sign off. Now I can fly what I want and the only pressure is internal.

"Hang up" - that's funny. We now have something in common Chris - both of us got our L-3's after hanging on a power line...at least you didn't take the power out to the entire launch like I did :)

It was great to see your successful Level 3 and we really enjoyed our time talking about it with you.

Wayne and I plan to be at LDRS next year since this year's October Skies was simply wonderful. Great folks at TCC!

My friend Nathan sent me some some great pictures from this weekend.

IMG_3538-1.jpg

IMG_3552-1.jpg

IMG_3572-1.jpg

I also exported a Google Earth trace of the flight.
Punisher Level 3 Earth.JPG

I think that's a phenomenon called Airplane Glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My son Jacob and I made it to the launch on Saturday around 6:45PM. We enjoyed the live band, the night rockets, and I enjoyed the free beer. Well done TCC!

On Sunday we got back to the launch at 8:30. I got the rocket prepped and on the pad with help from Tim Robinson and Nathan Montalvo. Thanks guys!

The boost was straight and the rocket turned slightly into the wind from the SW. The drogue deployed and the rocket headed NE with the wind. Jacob and I drove the .9 miles to where it landed right next to one of the farm roads. We started gathering the rocket and realized that the booster was missing. It appears that the quick release pin holding the shock cord from the booster and drogue to the camera bay popped loose. :facepalm:

I watched the video and it appears that the deployment was successful, but about 30 seconds later the pin released. The payload section fell flat at about 100 fps until the main deployed. The booster appeared to slow down without the weight of the payload pulling it down. We searched for it for awhile and came up empty handed. Once I got home I replayed the Telemetrum data on Google Earth and realized that we should have been looking farther East. I'm sure that it landed in one of the fields. Hopefully one of the farmers will find it soon.

The video came out great. Once again there was only about 90 degrees of turn through the whole flight. I'll try to get it edited and posted soon.

Just after burnout:
View attachment 303576

The view from 14,000':
View attachment 303577

The fateful moment when the booster cut loose:
View attachment 303578

Man....

Change the color. I'm sure that's it.

Back