Star Wars Spoiler thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen the box office numbers? Hmmm...going out on a limb here and I don't think you can quite say no one wanted that.

Maybe Chewy isn't that kind of wookie.

He is

It's very clear from the movie we do not know the entire story concerning Rea.

True although I felt it was to convenient

He's the most bada$$ed pilot of the resistance that's why.

It was the scene where he sky writes all over the screen flittering around like a butterfly shooting every tie down that I though was cheesy is all.

Were you paying attention during the movie?

Yes very much so.

I thought the idea of a storm trooper convicted with a strong sense of doing the right thing was very compelling and original.

I did like that part.

Have patience young padewan. That's the next movie. They made no promises about what we were going to see in this movie. Besides, looking at the box office numbers I am not sure who this "we" is...

Everyone in on the planet went to see it, they had to, same as me. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a good flick, the franchise is very popular I duobt it will ever have a bad opening, but mark my words the next one will not open to such a big crowd.

Of course I believe it. Han is a irresponsible smuggler that makes promises he cannot keep. Not only that but it was STOLEN from him...not that he "let it out of his sight." He's constantly doing rather foolhardy things. And then just to find it back as if it were handed to him on a silver platter? Well, yeah...of course that's going to happen being that the force is awakened and all. It's called destiny..fate...whatever. Obviously the force wanted him to have it back. Again, have you been paying attention?

Okay, I didn't like the idea never the less.

Anyway just my opinion.

TA

Last edited:
So that's the problem we run into. The original movies were seen without any expectation, and people became huge fans. Now, anything that follows is met with expectations. Eps 1-3 were definitely not a good fit for most people's expectations, in spite of being the ideas of Lucas himself. Episode 7 is a much better fit for people's expectations, on the whole. Most viewers accept the current standard of a film series setup, that everything is not going to be resolved or answered in the first film. Some people may not like it, and that's up to them.

I would say again that even the original 3 films had a recurring theme of recurring themes and events. Luke flew a fighter into battle, turned off the targeting computer, and blew up the Death Star after just a few pointers worth of Jedi "training." And I think even if Rey was not trained before, when Kylo Ren probed her mind and ended up being owned, she may well have come across a lot of knowledge that rubbed off- like knowing to try the mind trick on a stormtrooper.

I am personally enjoying the unknown, all the speculation going forward.

Is Snoke Darth Plagueis? I go back and forth on this one. Is Rey Luke's daughter? I find it more likely that she is. But we don't really know. What role will Finn play when he's all healed up? Who is going to take Han's seat in the MF? Will the MF even be in the next film?

It's great not knowing. This is the first time since 1983 that Star Wars fans really don't know what's going to happen next, what will be revealed.

One thing I felt was missing in TFA was a "theme" to the soundtrack. That's one thing they did right in the prequels. "Duel of the Fates" in TPM for example. Sure it contained way too much Jar Jar, but it had that theme that you could hum along to.

Who is going to take Han's seat in the MF? Will the MF even be in the next film?
Well, the Millenium Falcon's agent is asking for a lot of money to get Falc' to sign to do more movies, so we'll see.

Uh, yeah, of course they'll keep the Falcon, up to whatever point for a movie plot that it might get destroyed (If Han had died in ROTJ, the most fitting would have been for him to be flying the Falcon and being killed in it while destroying the Death Star 2).

Really, for me, the most emotional reaction I had for the movie (given I sort of suspected Han's fate, and the "Chewie, we're home" scene was in the trailers) was right after the quad jumper blew up, so Rey and Finn went to the "garbage ship" to escape, and the covers came off of the Falcon.

Actually, seeing how well Rey took over to fly the Falcon (never having done so before it would seem), and being able to figure out mechanical issues with it that Han didn't know, and Han being impressed enough to want her to become a crew member, I would expect that Ren will be using the Falcon about as much as Luke used his X-Wing. By default that would be her ship, except when she needed to be in a different type of ship. Of course Poe will probably end up flying it too. But at the end of this movie, Poe is with Finn and Rey & Chewie flew the Falcon to find Luke, so for at least a good part of the next movie that's pretty much where the characters will be paired up (Actually did not see a lot of Poe in this movie, he'll probably get a lot more screen time in the next one).

Now I was about to get into "ownership", but seeing that Han lost it (gambling?), and after many owners then sitting unused for years before she and Finn stole it...... it's probably "hers". Now if the original ownership by Han did play a role, I could easily see General Leia giving Rey the Falcon, or whatever. That would be assuming that Chebacca would be cool abut it and that Han didn't have some sort of will or plans for Chewie to inherit the Falcon (have to keep aware that Chewbacca is a person too.....and a pilot. He didn't have to rescue Rey and Finn).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I assume we'll see the Falcon, as the Resistance needs every ship it can get, with the New Republic in shambles.

Ok, I'll admit I'm a total SW dork. Only the movies though. And I don't research all the random bits here and there. But I do enjoy staking out my own position and discussing others. So heres a few cents worth:

Snoke and Kylo are Dark Side practitioners but not Sith. E.g. Kylo is the 'Master of the Knights of Ren', whatever they are. And Snoke is... well I guess we'll find out, but I doubt he's a Sith of any kind.

The force is not limited to the Jedi/Sith. It can be practiced literally by anyone... otherwise how would anyone ever 'get started'. E.g. Jabba could recognize and resist it, and Maz clearly has something going on. I always thought that Jar Jar and R2D2 were just a little too 'lucky' also.

'Salvation' is a Christian notion, and nothing about the force is linked to Christianity... and I think that Lucas was very carful about that. It is clearly 'spiritual' but not necessarily Christian. So yes, people can change the side of the force they choose to be influenced by/practice. I think at some point they will explore someone who goes back and forth much more frequently than we've seen before. Kylo may be set up for that.

And I'm pretty sure that Rey's last name is Solo. Han was lurking around Jakku for that very reason. The place had just been shot up and he was there to check on Rey. Also when Lia hugged Rey after the the Starkiller battle it seemed pretty significant. No biggy, she'd probably hug a niece the same way, but I'm at least thinking that she's a Skywalker one way or an other. The reason I just can't go to her being Luke's is that in my mind a Jedi is way past the primal urge to mate or even enter into a deep relationship with a person. It seems far to disruptive and threatening to the 'inner peace' of a Jedi to have children (at least if they were like my children :). Besides when the fecal matter hits the fan do we want a battle between cousins or siblings. I want siblings. :) And yes she was dumped there for protection, same as Luke in 'A New Hope'. But so what. What about this movie isn't like 'A New Hope'? Including the Obi-wan like dude who got killed by Kylo. No idea who he was, but I bet he was there to babysit Rey. We at least knew from the opening stanza that he was a trusted long time alley of Leia.

Oh... and finally... my son immediately identified General Huz as a serious drama queen; literally thats what he whispered in my ear during Huz's big speech. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure that Han was all that near Jakku - when he captured the Falcon, he asked Rey where she found it, then seemed surprised to learn it was there. We don't really know how far from the planet Rey & Finn got during their escape. The movie did make it seem like they barely broke atmo, but they may well have traveled some distance or made a short jump in the process. One could also argue that Han was nearby because he'd been actively tracking the Falcon, rather than checking up on Rey. He didn't seem to know who she was either, though he did warm to her quickly (but who wouldn't?). We don't know anything about why she was dumped on that planet, but I don't really think it was because Solo put her there. As emotional as Han & Leia were about getting Ben back, if it were true that Rey was also their kid, they'd have been a bit more emotional about her too. Instead, they recognized the abilities and were grateful for her help, but there was no indication of family connection there. I think her connection to Luke will be the Force playing master/student matchmaker, but I have doubts of a father/daughter relationship. As noted, its supposed to be against Jedi code to have that kind of attachment (though the Skywalkers have often bucked the code). But I also doubt that Luke, of all people, would have dumped his kid on another wretched desert planet, especially if he could've protected her at the Jedi temple...

Please go away.

Hmmm... a quick little search on the New Year's Resolutions thread brings this up:

Aren't you just so danged cute? Do us a favor, don't wait for the actual ban; depart voluntarily.

Happy New Year,
s6
No, I will not. Sorry but the First Amendment allows me to express my opinion, no mater how popular it may be.

the First Amendment allows me to express my opinion, no mater how popular it may be.

Nope, Congress does not own this messageboard. You are posting (or not) entirely at the pleasure of the private owners and their representatives.

Um, yeah..........the first amendment doesn't apply to private websites.

No, I will not. Sorry but the First Amendment allows me to express my opinion, no mater how popular it may be.

I'm going to have to agree with the other posters here. The 1st Amendment does nothing for you here. "Congress shall make no law..." keeping you from saying things, but that doesn't mean that the owners of a forum, or a store, or a house, can't make a rule keeping you from saying things.

There's a rule in my house that you can't disrespect my wife without getting punched in the face and kicked out of my house. Congress didn't make that, I did. See the difference?

But you knew that already, which is why you're trying to get banned from as many forums as possible.

And it also allows you to do so no matter how bad your spelling and grammar may be.

For the record, The Supreme Court in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire indicates that free speech does not cover the "right" to make statements simply for the shock effect. So based on your statement that you want to be banned, then it could be concluded that your comment has no material value beyond your attempt to see if you can offend enough people to achieve the goal of being banned.

Meanwhile back to Star Wars...

P.S. - What he said (next post)

Last edited:

And the first amendment allows me to call a troll a troll. You are a troll. Enjoy your time here, troll.

If Harrison Ford is in the episode 8 cast, is the only reason because they don't want to spoil the fact his character isn't around anymore?

I can't quite think of a reason why he would be in the next one at all since he's not in tune with the force enough to appear as a ghost and his body was blown up along with the Starkiller base.

Thoughts?

I don't think the official final cast list is released yet. Anything publicized by Disney before Dec 18th, would have of course listed him with a 3 film option contract and listed for the cast, etc. The other option is a flashback or memory shown later.

Aramus' post of klansmen with a confederate flag in another thread did not last long.

But it showed where his heart was. So those who missed that......yes, this is THAT kind of person.

Won't be surprised if he gets into 131211040125 trolling (I'll explain that only if it comes true later).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
If Harrison Ford is in the episode 8 cast, is the only reason because they don't want to spoil the fact his character isn't around anymore?

I can't quite think of a reason why he would be in the next one at all since he's not in tune with the force enough to appear as a ghost and his body was blown up along with the Starkiller base.

Thoughts?
Could be for spoiler reasons.

Could be for a possible brief flash-back ( The turn from Ben to Ren begs to be shown in some way, and that would give an opportunity for Han to be in a flashback). There were flash-backs, very "flashy" ones, when Rey found Luke's Lightsaber, including her as a kid watching her parents leave.

Could be for contractual and financial purposes, that he'd agree to shoot one movie but be listed in the cast for the other two for residuals and such. So, rather than being paid a huge lump sum for this one, he'd be paid on a sort of 3-part installment plan, or something sorta like that but potentially very complex (Harrison Ford's Agents vs Disney Accountants & Lawyers.....talk about an epic scene).

An actor could be on the planned cast list but not appear in the film, though usually not as a pre-planned strategy. On a different tack, certainly many TV shows have "regular" characters listed in the credits who may not actually appear in every episode. For example, on NCIS, I think there are episodes where Director Vance is not in them, but Rocky Carroll's name appears in the opening credits. Though I have to admit I've never gone back to confirm if he's in the opening credits of every episode, after having seen an episode without Vance in it.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I don't think the official final cast list is released yet. Anything publicized by Disney before Dec 18th, would have of course listed him with a 3 film option contract and listed for the cast, etc. The other option is a flashback or memory shown later.

Or maybe Snoke brings him back from the dead as Darth Haneous or something LOL. Hey if people believe the Darth Jar Jar thing they'll believe that.

But seriously, I'm also interested to see what kind of character Benicio Del Toro will play. A bounty hunter perhaps? Lando's nephew?

One of the guesses or rumors on the net is that a major character is in the next one and......rumored to be Lando as Finns dad. Time will tell. All in all, a worthy addition to the movies. I've seen it twice and plan to see it again.

Wow, really Londo?

londo.JPG

Man, it's a long trip back in time from the 2260's and from Centauri Prime to a galaxy far-father away.

Oh, LANDO. That's very different. Never mind.

Anyway, the thought that Finn might be related to Lando has probably occurred to a lot of people. Would be cool to see Lando in any case (heck, same for seeing Londo in any new Babylon-5-verse related project).

To add something else new, a pretty good and funny "Honest trailer" for Star Wars:

- George Gassaway

[video=youtube;bsb9ZTmbSKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsb9ZTmbSKQ[/video]

My wife and I saw it in 3D last night.

Liked the SFX, the 3D and hardware.

My wife tried to get me to agree to leave at least four times during the movie (and she Loves Harrison Ford).
I convinced her to stick it out.

I'll be honest with you guys...after hearing about Jar Jar from my sci-fi fan friends when that episode came out, I've never bothered to see the last three movies.
After last night, I'm pretty much done with it.
Good luck Disney...I'm sure you'll make a bundle.
Harrison and Lucas...enjoy your retirement.

Last edited:
Could someone explain walking out of movies to me? You've already paid. Unless it's just so profane or vulgar, or absolutely boring; what is the point of leaving? I'm excited just to be able to sit still and relax a couple hours. I've sat through some stinkers and very rarely thought about leaving. The one where I was close was Hope Floats, but that's another story.

Most people's criticism of The Force Awakens, even the harshest ones I've seen; most of it could have been (in their eyes) fixed if this or that had been said or happened or revealed, right up to the end of the movie? How on earth would you foresee it would be so irredeemably bad, before seeing the whole thing?

Could someone explain walking out of movies to me? You've already paid. Unless it's just so profane or vulgar, or absolutely boring; what is the point of leaving? I'm excited just to be able to sit still and relax a couple hours. I've sat through some stinkers and very rarely thought about leaving. The one where I was close was Hope Floats, but that's another story.

Most people's criticism of The Force Awakens, even the harshest ones I've seen; most of it could have been (in their eyes) fixed if this or that had been said or happened or revealed, right up to the end of the movie? How on earth would you foresee it would be so irredeemably bad, before seeing the whole thing?

Exactly - and that's what I told the wife....told her we're not leaving until I see Hans Solo, then Leia and then Luke.

Of course that took us right to the end. LOL:lol:
I've never walked out on a movie, but I did walk out of a Ramones concert back in the day...every song sounded like the previous one.
Unless someone is really sick I can't get walking out of a movie before it is over.

Only criticism she offered was when the dialoque between Finn and the X wing Pilot got really cliché...she turned to me and said "this sucks".
Then later she said "this movie is alike a big cartoon".
I told her well, yeah.............so?

When it comes to some Sci-Fi especially when it is near cult status - there is a "comic con" nerd factor as was popularized by the movie "Paul" (which she really liked BTW) - but so what.

That said, I can't help but reflect on this vid, which I found amusing, nerd that I tend to be sometimes :

[video=youtube;1RGohIKxc9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RGohIKxc9M[/video]

Last edited:
Han was probably tracking the Falcon. He did mention something about he and Chewy located it fairly easily and it would be just as easy for others to do the same. Not his exact words but something like that. It had been setting in that desert for years and Han probably couldn't find it's signal, whatever that was, until she started up.

I dont think Kylo and Snoke are full fledged Sith either. It takes skill with the force to build a lightsaber, as Vader hinted at it Ep 6 when he examined Luke's new one. And Kylo's was... amateurish? all fuzzy and sounding different, which leads me to believe he is not really proficient with the inner workings of the force, but we all knew that anyway. Some have suggested a cracked crystal and the cross guard was vents to keep it from exploding... hogwash to that. But he did stop the blaster shot in flight. That was cool.

But who found Luke's lightsaber? And where? It fell from Cloud City along with with Luke and his hand in Ep 5 after his meeting with Vader.

Leia is now a Disney Princess! Awesome.As someone me tioned Rey will be.

I think Harrison Ford actually wanted Solo to die during his carbon freezing or something to that effect...can't remember where I saw that though.

At first I thought Rey was probably Luke's, but why would he dump her on a planet and not keep her close to personally train her? Surely he could best Kylo in a lightsaber duel or any test of power. She would have to be either Luke's or Leia's because they were the last two Jedi. Unless the Force Awakens is simply that...the force awakens in new folks.

We shall see.

I loved the movie. It felt like Star Wars.

Mike

I'm amazed no one has brought up Captain Phasma's return...she is more of an R.A. Salvatore death than Han. We don't see her corpse, she's on the starsucker, but we know (from JJ Abrams) she will play a major role in at least the next movie. So we have Rey vs Ren ( huh...alliteration echoes siblings from EU...never made that connection) and then Finn vs. Phasma (again...alliteration). And anyone who things JJ n Co. Aren't pulling from EU material really needs to review Han's [Big] scene from The force unleashed II...preferably on Playstation 3.

I'm also amazed no one has brought up the connection between. Rey's interrogation by Ren and where she finds Luke. Ten specifically describes an Image in Rey's head of a single island in the middle of an ocean that is relaxing to hed
She then flies the Falcon to a single island in the middle of an ocean...to find Luke. Clearly this is a force link, but from student to teacher or Daughter to father. I think this can go a long way to refute the connection to Kylo as her brother. If she has an established connection to Luke...wouldn't she recognize Ren, if only from dreams?

This is all speculation, but what is not is that no everyone likes the same things, so different opinions will reign. On that basis, opening weekend isn't indicative of anything, but continued success is...the longer TFA brings in money, the more I believe they did well with the series. In this case, I trust the fanboy majority...
As far as it 'not being' original, well what do you expect? It's SEVENTH in a series about a spiritual aspect and people who survive the desert have a stronger fortitude than most. In addition, the last time Someone went original with Star Wars, he was universally panned and only made 4billion on the sale when he would have made 10, so do you blame them?

Back