Star Wars Spoiler thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
If you have not seen the movie yet, Please exit as there will be:

Spoilers Ahead

You have been warned

Last edited:
There is all this speculation online about just who Rey is?? I think that she is the lovechild of Maz and Yoda.

So I got hit by spoilers (not from here) before I saw the movie. Basically, I knew Han was going to die. Not sure how that tainted my overall experience with the movie. When you saw it was it a complete surprise when he died or did you see it coming?

I don't feel like like it was that bad of a spoiler (unlike if you knew Vader was Luke's father before you watched the original trilogy).

So Rey clearly has been trained in the Force but seems to have blocked those memories. Luke's daughter, or someone he had been training at his academy before Han's son Ben turned to the dark side and Luke left? Ben didn't act like he'd known her before.

Also Finn grabbed a light saber and used it to successfully defend himself (didn't get killed) when Kylo Ren attacked him in the forest. Should someone with no Force training be able to do that? I think not. So either a Storm Trooper has also had Force training that we don't know about yet, or that was a really stupid part of the movie.

A good plot development would be to find out that Finn and Rey knew each other in the past, were both in Jedi training, something bad happened and the students were placed around the galaxy with memories modified to protect them.

So I got hit by spoilers (not from here) before I saw the movie. Basically, I knew Han was going to die. Not sure how that tainted my overall experience with the movie. When you saw it was it a complete surprise when he died or did you see it coming?

So are you sure he died? He was skewered, but just fell away and in movies (especially multi-chapter series) people aren't really dead unless you see them dead and even then they can come back (ex. twin, body double, clone, etc.). Would be funny to find out they cloned Han later on. :)

There is all this speculation online about just who Rey is?? I think that she is the lovechild of Maz and Yoda.

Wha? She looks 100% human! Maybe she's Leia & Han's secret daughter...whisked away once the son turned evil to protect her from being killed. Plus she seems to have force powers stronger than Kylo (being a granddaughter of Darth would explain that) and also has the piloting and mechanical skills of Han (big clue there!). Lastly it would then make sense for her to be the one/only one for Luke to train.
Of note is that this is just my own observation based on what I saw in the movie...I haven't seen/been to any SW websites. :grin:

Edit: My wife mentioned good points about Rey possibly being Luke's child...she reminded me that Luke also had mechanical ability. Also if Luke's partner was also a Jedi, it would make Rey more likely to be stronger jedi-wise than Kylo.

Last edited:
And did Ben/Kylo die on the Super Death Star? Or was he magically transported off before the station exploded?
I have a semi-serious question: Was Han Solo's death supposed to help Kylo/Ben become more dark sidey?

Adrian

I don't feel like like it was that bad of a spoiler (unlike if you knew Vader was Luke's father before you watched the original trilogy).

I definitely saw it coming even before I went to go see it. I think it would have been a bad choice to NOT have him die. Harrison Ford has said in the past he is meh about playing Solo and he only did it for the money. Plus with Mark Hamill having a bigger part in the next movie, it would be too many main characters with the addition of all the new cast and imo would feel too cluttered.

And did Ben/Kylo die on the Super Death Star? Or was he magically transported off before the station exploded?
I have a semi-serious question: Was Han Solo's death supposed to help Kylo/Ben become more dark sidey?

Adrian

He was taken off planet and is going to see Snoke to finish his training. I think Kylos character is all about trying to be as Vader like as possible. He's an interesting character in that instead of being this huge badass evil commanding presence, he is really just this angsty teen Vader wannabe, and killing his father in his mind helps him move more towards that goal.

(Rant on)

I think that it was stupid for Han to get killed...heck, any SW fans knows he should've shot first! Han has supposedly escaped a lot of tricky situations, so he shouldn't be that dumb.

Also what the heck is with the 'I know you killed countless innocent people and children, but there is salvation if you come back from the dark side'? Really?

(Rant off)

How come Han didn't "get a bad feeling about this", and if he didn't snuff it after getting skewered (does a light sabre cauterize the edges of the hole??), then having a planet blow up around him might have put a crimp on the rest of his day.

I apologize for speculating about Maz and Yoda. We all know now that Maz likes them "tall and furry", which Yoda is NOT. I really did like Maz's character, and the thought that went behind it. I do hope she shows up more in the next couple of films.

My main peeve was this .

Han lost the Falcon (probably in a card game, it is how he got it in the first place). Looked for 10 years, couldn't find it ANYWHERE. Yet, when Rey (cutest Star Wars character to date) climbed in stole it, Han looked out of the window and, boom, there it was.

Is there also gonna be some movies thirty years from now that fill in the gaps between this movie and episode VI... :facepalm:

Adrian

When you saw it was it a complete surprise when he died or did you see it coming?

When Han stepped out onto that platform to meet with Ben/Kylo, I sensed he was toast.

Another comment on that scene: we saw the very first screening at our local theater, a 7PM Thursday showing filled with completely unspoiled hardcore fans. When Han died the theater was filled with screams, shouts, sobs, and other expressions of abject shock and horror. For our second viewing a couple of days later in a theater consisting mostly of casual fans and non-fans, the vibe was completely different, more of a "how unfortunate, please pass the popcorn" moment.

James

Wha? She looks 100% human! Maybe she's Leia & Han's secret daughter...whisked away once the son turned evil to protect her from being killed. Plus she seems to have force powers stronger than Kylo (being a granddaughter of Darth would explain that) and also has the piloting and mechanical skills of Han (big clue there!). Lastly it would then make sense for her to be the one/only one for Luke to train.
Of note is that this is just my own observation based on what I saw in the movie...I haven't seen/been to any SW websites. :grin:

Finally got to see this today. Fun watch, but carries a basic reflection of some of the older movies, (desert planet lifestyles, community pub/bar scenario with class act musicians, plot to destroy the First Order planet weapon much like the Death Star....) I have to admit, I didn't see Solo's demise coming. Rey?.....Here's my thoughts on her. 1st off, she apparently has a higher midichlorian count than Ben/Kylo. She took to knowing she had "Force" values pretty quick. I get the feeling she is an offspring of Luke that we just didn't hear about in this episode. BB-8 was a nice change for leading droid actors. And it would have been just wrong not to include R2 & 3PO. I got my best laugh when Kylo was on his 2nd destructive temper tantrum wailing that light sabre around inside another computer room again, then those two Storm Troopers made an "about face" and marched back where they came from just to avoid it all together. I liked Maz also. She might not be a Jedi, but she does understand the Force.

So are you sure he died? He was skewered, but just fell away and in movies (especially multi-chapter series) people aren't really dead unless you see them dead and even then they can come back (ex. twin, body double, clone, etc.). Would be funny to find out they cloned Han later on. :)

I figure Han will come back as a disembodied voice like Obi Wan. Maybe he will become... err... more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

USE THE FORCE, FINN!

Finally saw the movie for the 2nd time today.

Han dying, I figured that was likely. Salary-wise, and schedule-wise, it did not seem likely that Ford would be in another Star Wars movie after this one.

Rey, I figure she is Luke's daughter. Maybe I'm being too simplistic. If she was Han and Leia's daughter, hidden away, that would be way too derivative of the earlier movies (and indeed enough derivatives from the earlier movies as it is). If the first scene of the next movie picks up from the last scene, I would not be surprised if the first word spoken is by Rey, to Luke, saying "Father". As though by the time she has seen him, due to the Force, and the lightsaber experiences, her feelings are telling her that's who her father is. Seeing that scene again today, it really seemed like she had such a recognition in her eyes, that she was not just looking at the famous but elusive Luke Skywalker, but someone far more personal. Of course, I could be wrong.

One of my favorite scenes, and the first one to really get to me was when Rey and Finn were running towards the Quad Jumper to escape, then it got blown up, and she said they'd have to "take the garbage" (ship). Then it turned out that the "garbage ship" was the unseen till then Millennium Falcon. Oh wow.

Also what the heck is with the 'I know you killed countless innocent people and children, but there is salvation if you come back from the dark side'? Really?

Uh, ummm, oh my. Did you not see the last few minutes of Jedi? Where Vader betrayed and murdered…….the Emperor, to save Luke. When Anikin appeared as a Jedi ghost near the end, next to the ghosts of Yoda and Obi-Wan, he appeared as Anikin, a Jedi ghost of the light side of the force. And he'd done even worse things for far longer than Kylo Ren had done, but clearly got salvation.

Now you can certainly disagree with the concept of salvation after doing so many bad things, but then that should also mean you have the same problems with Anikin's salvation in Jedi. Just sayin'.

From the Ultimate Guide to Star Wars:

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...d63CRMQ6AEIVzAN#v=onepage&q=salvation&f=false

5iURagb.jpg

550px-Spectral_Witness_%28Jeff_Carlisle%29.jpg

3198551689_20e31eb789_o.jpg

Last edited:
Han's death bothered me. He was my favorite character. I would have felt better with that Knob Luke dying.

Is there also gonna be some movies thirty years from now that fill in the gaps between this movie and episode VI... :facepalm:

Adrian

Episode VI.I-VI.II-VI.III

I will also agree with the look out the window and see the MF and it is that easy.

Did anyone catch Daniel Craig as the Stormtrooper Rey was using Jedi Mind tricks on?

How is it that the dark side keeps building Death Stars, Super Death Stars and Star Killers that with each subsequent one are easier to destroy. First one is destroyed by shots going down a very small vent hole, next one, lets make a vent hole the Millineum falcon can fly through, and finally lets just light speed jump through the force field and then just blow up this very poorly guarded building.

Is it just me or is there an uncanny resemblance between Maz and Gune from Titan A.E.?

gune.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it on Wednesday. Generally loved the movie; found it to be a worthy successor.

For the record, to frame my question, I've only seen movies, not read any books or seen animated series outside of the six movies.

So, what I want to know is, WHO THE HECK IS THIS SNOKE THING?

We end episode six with Death Star II destroyed, the Emperor Palpatine / Darth Sidious killed (or whatever happens to dark side villains... he's truly gone), and Vader returned to the side of light as Anakin. Great. So, while the Dark Side can never be truly defeated, as it is part of the balance of the force, there were no remaining Sith lords, and everything was supposed to be happy, rainbows, unicorns, and fairy dust for a while. How is it that in a scant 30 years things have gone so badly, and there's this ancient looking Snoke villain that has apparently been around for a while. Who is he, and where did he come from? Did I miss something during the movie? A few lines explaining him might have helped...

Enquiring minds want to know...

My main peeve was this .

Han lost the Falcon (probably in a card game, it is how he got it in the first place). Looked for 10 years, couldn't find it ANYWHERE. Yet, when Rey (cutest Star Wars character to date) climbed in stole it, Han looked out of the window and, boom, there it was.

Haha! Good one! Glad to hear someone else gets annoyed by silly plot parts too. :)

How about Finn losing his first light saber duel to some badass frontline Storm trooper and then deciding he's good enough to take on Kylo? Duh.

On the "Light-er" side, I really thought the X-wing fight scenes were spectacular and the light saber duels were amazing as well. :)

Did you not see the last few minutes of Jedi? Where Vader betrayed and murdered…….the Emperor, to save Luke. When Anikin appeared as a Jedi ghost near the end, next to the ghosts of Yoda and Obi-Wan, he appeared as Anikin, a Jedi ghost of the light side of the force. And he'd done even worse things for far longer than Kylo Ren had done, but clearly got salvation.

Now you can certainly disagree with the concept of salvation after doing so many bad things, but then that should also mean you have the same problems with Anikin's salvation in Jedi. Just sayin'.

Yup, Darth's salvation especially bothered me after finding out Anakin killed young padawans at the Jedi Academy (that is just so evil...who in this world can forgive a mass child killer?). It's my personal peeve about having a "system" in place where no matter how evil you are or how many people you kill, you can always get salvation and be accepted again. It's like saying there aren't any consequences to your actions and the most dangerous person is the one without a conscience. IMHO. Unfortunately it seems that they're sticking to this line since it looked like Han went over the Kylo to say he's forgiven and can come home.

BTW - When Leia told Han to "bring him home", I thought she meant (and I hoped it was) Kylo's dead body. LOL

E
How is it that the dark side keeps building Death Stars, Super Death Stars and Star Killers that with each subsequent one are easier to destroy. First one is destroyed by shots going down a very small vent hole, next one, lets make a vent hole the Millineum falcon can fly through, and finally lets just light speed jump through the force field and then just blow up this very poorly guarded building.

LOL! The end "Death Machine" destruction scenes are almost always too short. However I felt this one was a bit longer than the others and was also a much more difficult task (having Finn provide insider info was the key and makes the ability to destroy it much more plausible). Also one can argue that for any attack machine, there is usually some weak point or way to destroy it...especially from the inside.

So, what I want to know is, WHO THE HECK IS THIS SNOKE THING?..
Enquiring minds want to know...

Tis all still a mystery..

Theories abound.. https://bgr.com/2015/12/26/star-wars-force-awakens-villain-snoke/

I myself believe that it is actually Voldemort, who, in another universe, is Sith. Once he realized that there were no more stories in his universe, he escaped and invaded this new one.

It works for Marvel... why not Lucus/Disney

When Han stepped out onto that platform to meet with Ben/Kylo, I sensed he was toast.

James

I had the same feeling. Numerous main good guys and one main bad guy. When one of each steps out to face each other someone ain't going to live. You can't kill your only bad guy, so Han was toast.

I am more than a little bummed at the notion of Harrison Ford and his salary impacting the story. If he was not enthusiastic enough, or wanted too much money, either leave him out entirely or let someone else play the character. Salvage-1 makes me think, his whole entrance seemed forced to begin with.

Yes, when he walked out onto the bridge I figured he was done for. It fits the franchise, like Star Trek redshirts. Of course I was cheering for him to either win the battle or convert Kylo back to the light side, but that is what the story sets you up to cheer for.

Unrelated but I do not see why one needs force training to wield a light saber. I thought it operated like a sword. Obviously intense training would make one better at it, but a storm trooper would be trained in basic hand to hand combat, and of course Kylo could have started off by toying with him.

A few thoughts:

Has anyone considered that Jar Jar was killed when the first order blew up all the republic planets?
Thank the maker!

The new X wings, So the Engine nacelles split with the wings... They look like they have fans in the front of them for atmospheric flight. How it work?
???

Last edited:
I thought Jedi were not supposed to have attachments, get married and have kids, but maybe since there are none left but Luke and Leia they have a new policy about that now. The light saber owned by Anakin/Vader then Luke called to Rey. her summoning of it was stronger than Kylo in the forest, so she is clearly more directly related to the force within the saber than her cousin? Or brother? I remember hearing a trailer with a voice over in Luke's voice saying now the force is strong in my family, my father has it, I have it , my sister has it, and you have it, pretty much implying he is talking to one of his own children or Leia's possibly. this was like the unspoken conversation in the final Scene when Rey meets Luke.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back