MWC 3" av-sled extended for redundancy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Normally the 3" av-sled carried by Missileworks (sourced from Additive Aerospace) is only setup for a single RRC3 or RRC2+. This may be obvious to others, but I haven't seen it posted before--the hole spacing on the RRC3 and the Stratalogger CF are nearly the same. At least they are close enough within hole tolerances to use the same mounting hardware on both sides of a board. This leaves only two holes to drill to get the CF mounted on the rear. Add a small 2S LiPo under the switch mount area and a couple screw switches and you have a compact redundant setup for a 3" bay.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1451176859.560908.jpg ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1451176884.661915.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you are doing but I have a question- what is keeping the rrc3 battery from moving lengthwise along the sled and smacking the rrc3? I see the zip tie going around it to keep it from moving laterally, but not on the keep it from moving vertically if you will.

I see what you are doing but I have a question- what is keeping the rrc3 battery from moving lengthwise along the sled and smacking the rrc3? I see the zip tie going around it to keep it from moving laterally, but not on the keep it from moving vertically if you will.

Yes, somewhat of a concern. The battery is fairly lightweight at only 120mAh. It is mounted with industrial strength double-sided tape. I then have the zip tie cinching it down. Shaking up and down vigorously I get no movement, but when flying I will probably also add a strip of electrical tape around axially just to be sure.

What is the yellow thing where the capacitor is supposed to be??

Tantalum . No gell to leak out under pressure, from extreme altitude.
regular caps are rated for max of 40,000ft even though they can survive higher and do. This one over 100,000, just read factory specs on any of them.

These are rated for extreme environment, aero-space grade & why the Extreme version is a bit more expensive. Only difference between the sport & extreme RRC3 is this tantalum cap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalum_capacitor

Back