A scratch build as yet un-named

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. What do you guys do for matte clears? I prefer lacquer clears so I can shoot in the cold (i spray gloss clear lacquer in 20 deg F all the time in winter!) But I've never tried any matte clears.

I used Testors clear matte lacquer (most of one of those tiny little cans!) on Red Prince yesterday. Here are glory shots from the completed rocket. Now all I have to do is clip in a parachute. I may try to fashion one in the Umbrella Corporation logo style.

RP 086.jpg

RP 087.jpg

RP 088.jpg

RP 089.jpg

Folks,

A bit of a necro-thread-post here, but I finally got Red Prince into the air.

Yesterday I took off from work. It was supposed to be ~60 F and <7 miles wind in the morning. Went out to my local park, and was pleased to find it mostly empty. I set up at the top of the hill but unfortunately the wind up there was much more than expected. I decided to launch from the bottom of the hill, using it to block the wind.

Launch 1 was on a C6-3. It was a bit under powered, and had already arced over and was on its way down when the ejection happened. Chute got stuck inside, and it just tumbled to the ground, which was wet and soggy. No damage. Here are some pics going up:

First Launch pic1.jpg First Launch pic2.jpg

After cleaning some mud off the nosecone tip, I loaded her up with an Aerotech D10-3.

The engines are a couple years old; had a failure with an Estes Sonic. Tried with a First Fire Junior (I think it was) and got one chuff then a beautiful sound of ripping air. I was prepared for the loud D10 explosion sound, but with the hill reflecting sound at me, it was seriously startling. My camera takes images every 100 msec, and I only got one on the way up, due to teleportation effect:

Second Launch Pic1.jpg

It went "way up there" and drifted a bit due to wind. I recovered it at the edge of my field, about 600 feet away. I got shots of it descending, showing proper deployment of parachute and that the body and nose section were hanging as planned, not bumping into each other.

Second Launch Pic2.jpg

I only launched a few yesterday, as I had other stuff to do, but it was good to get out there and have success!

Great looking paint job! How come there's a crack running down the entire length of the driveway?

Great looking paint job! How come there's a crack running down the entire length of the driveway?

Thanks. Because I didn't have enough spot putty to fill it?

Seriously though, the crack was there when we bought the house almost 11 years ago. We eventually had it filled with a flexible compound of some sort. It's been stable since then. I presume the ground was insufficiently compacted before the slab was poured.

Marc

Very nice.
UMMMMMMMMMM..Have you seen the .."2016 My Own Design Summer Build Off" in "Contest" ?

Back