Any DooM players here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
just got through fixing my way through a map from the early 90's (to make it compatible with current DooM engines) as was wondering if anyone would be interested in play testing it?
Please take note, I am not the author of the map, I merely got it to work(hopefully as the author intended). thanks
Rex

I used to play it a lot and believe it or not...play at work a LOT. My manager was a net gamer junkie and we used to chase each other down (up to 4 players) during lunch, after work and sometimes on the weekend! I recall one match where we both chased each other with BFGs for what seemed like forever (you have to constantly turn otherwise you're dead) until I ran out of ammo and had to run away. I've probably spent hundreds of hours playing against others. Those were the days...

It'd be cool to test; however I now work on a laptop and don't have a gaming system. Also work is nuts right now and I've worked past 1-2AM several times this week.

Finally I'm a senior citizen when it comes to gaming nowadays. LOL

If I had a place to play I'd LOVE to. In the 90's I created and played tons of custom Doom levels (as well as Duke Nukem, Quake, Half-Life, etc.) and really miss it.

But I don't think it would be as easy to play on this laptop without a mouse.

thought it was worth a shot :). I'm running Gzdoom source port under win10, looks nice & plays great. what is funny is watching some hot shot 'gamer' doing a 'let's play video' and getting their backsides handed to them...modern FPS experience doesn't seem to transfer well to DooM.
Rex

That was a ton of fun back in the day, as well as Shadow Warrior. I didn't even know it was still around. Guess I've gotten old! :(

OMG.. yes, this and Daggerfall, far too much time wasted back in the '90's
Gonna check out that GZDoom

there is good news and not so good,
good;
boom
zdoom
gzdoom and other source ports can run doom, heretic, and other doom based games on modern computers and look good doing it(and are free), but
you need the main IWAD file for each game(doom.wad, heretic.wad etc.) however these games can be had from steam (last I checked $5 each). just don't try running the steam versions(they are the original versions running in DOSbox @ 320 x 200 pixels and mouse support is iffy(non existant in the case of heretic)).
the other catch is that user created maps from 94 - 96 in some cases were built to early version game engine(ver 1.2 and earlier) and some utilized some game glitches (that id removed when doom ii came out). have fun,
Rex

Back