GPS Tracking Small Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyMax

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here.

I've got a small Estes kit rocket that takes C size motors. I've had it for years and never assembled it. The rocket motors are probably too old to use. I'm ok with buying new ones.

If I want to track a launch by GPS what's the simplest way to do it? Is there a ready made tracking unit that's small enough to somehow attach as a payload?

I've got one of those Garmin running watches but it's too big to launch with.

I don't need live tracking, something I can download post launch is ideal.

Any help?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi and welcome Tony

What size body tube are you working with? What are you trying to capture with a GPS? If you are looking for altitude data then an altimeter will give you better fidelity of the flight. If you are looking for positional data then the GPS is the way to go but you are likely to loose satellite lock during the boost segment of the flight. There are some small GPS units but the battery may be too big for your application.

Joe

It's only a baby kit the body tube is maybe an inch diameter.

Does an altimeter give acceleration figures or would all that be done in post processing on some website or other after the fact?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

AG0D is pretty much on the money with the battery being the main issue. An Eggfinder GPS will fit inside a BT50 (Estes' name for 24mm/1" tubes) and it doesn't weigh much but the battery tends to be somewhat larger and heavier. There are some smaller and lighter units available (for example, Altus Metrum's Easy GPS) but they will have the same battery issue, and you may also need an FCC Technician Class amateur radio license (a "Ham" radio license) to use them. That being said, I have flown Eggfinders in small rockets... like the upper stage of an Estes Mongoose (those little buggers CAN get away from you on two C6's).

The primary reason for using a GPS unit is to help you find your rocket. If you're doing low power rocketry chances are pretty good that this is not an issue. If you're looking for data gathering (which I suspect you might be since you mentioned acceleration) you might want to look at the Jolly Logic Altimeter Two or Altimeter Three units. They're very small and self-contained and designed for smaller rockets.

Back