Level 3 Build - Rocketry Warehouse Terminator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Evan!
I truly wish I got to see it. We had planned on coming to NY-Power but could not make it. WELL DONE! This rocket may be my L3 as well. Do it again! BTW: what altitude did you get? did it land close?
Andrew K

The P-Nut altimeter recorded 7,897 AGL... The Rocket landed a mile away, by the side of a road.

And here is the video... from kit to finish.

[YOUTUBE]V6X4LH3ZtsQ&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Congrats! Beautiful rocket, and a great flight. That landing was very close to the road!

I'll state it again... I really love that Terminator design. I'm actually surprised I have not seen more of them fly (whether for Cert or not) given the superb pre-Black Friday pricing that was offered by RW.

Well looking back, I guess I have posted similar statements about 5 times since Fall of '15 in various threads. A fellow TRF member finally connected the dots, approached me and I was in the mood. So just purchased one of these babies! Again, no need for another rocket, but I love this thing!

Well looking back, I guess I have posted similar statements about 5 times since Fall of '15 in various threads. A fellow TRF member finally connected the dots, approached me and I was in the mood. So just purchased one of these babies! Again, no need for another rocket, but I love this thing!

You will have fun with it... It can hold the biggest 75mm motors they make. Looking for a place next year where I can send mine past Mach 1 and way the heck up.

I always thought that a L3 flight going through clouds lead to a non-certification, has that changed?

I always thought that a L3 flight going through clouds lead to a non-certification, has that changed?

Don't see anything in here about clouds (now the LCO may/should have opinions on when/where/how flight should be conducted, but that is another subject)...

[Tripoli] Certification Flight – Level 3 Certification flight may take place at any insured launch. The TAP member must be present and witness the certification flight. The TAP member must witness the rocket ascend in a stable manner and descend in stabilized manner controlled by the recovery system.

[NAR] 3.6 The actual flight shall meet ALL of the following requirements:
a) The rocket shall use a motor with total impulse greater than 5120 Newton-seconds
b) The flight shall be made while a suitable FAA waiver is in effect
c) The rocket shall make a stable, safe flight. Safety includes compliance with FAA
waiver limits. Models that exceed the FAA waiver altitude are, by definition,
unsafe and cannot be certified.
d) The rocket shall fully deploy its recovery system. An anomalous deployment of
the recovery system is not cause for flight rejection if the model descended in a
safe manner. It is up to the judgement of the Flight Witnesses whether the model
descended in a safe manner.
e) The rocket shall remain intact, with no separation of parts that do not deploy
their own recovery device(s).

The cloud cover during that flight was about 30% coverage which I believe is consistent with FAR101 and/or safety code. Evan was not aiming for that cloud, overhead was blue sky.

There was a huge clearing opening up in the sky above us and behind us to the west...not visible until you see the descent. The rocket was pointed straight up toward that clearing. There must have been a quick gust of wind that cause a slight weather cock about 200' above the ground. Wind conditions were steady at about 5 MPH, but there were sporadic gusts up to 10 MPH. It punched through the edge of a cloud but was seen from the ground a second later coming out of it. After that everything, including apogee separation, main separation, and full descent, was visible from the ground. The onboard video confirms that all but about 1-1.25 seconds of the flight was in clear sky.

Last edited:
Somewhat disappointed. I went to the Mad Cow web site where they had advertised that they were going to carry the "whole line" of RW kits...but the Terminator was not on the site. I can understand, I supposed, but it is still too bad.

Somewhat disappointed. I went to the Mad Cow web site where they had advertised that they were going to carry the "whole line" of RW kits...but the Terminator was not on the site. I can understand, I supposed, but it is still too bad.
They're bringing all back, but only listing what they actually have on hand. It'll be back, so you should be able to get another after flying it at potter ;)

Last edited:
They're bringing all back, but only listing what they actually have on hand. It'll be back, so you should be able to get another after flying it at potter ;)

Good to know. I do want to fly it at Potter, David, but this one I intend on finding. :wink: Unlike my smaller rockets, this is visible from the ground when it is at 8.000'. At least at Potter I can take the weight out and really let it go.

Good to know. I do want to fly it at Potter, David, but this one I intend on finding. :wink: Unlike my smaller rockets, this is visible from the ground when it is at 8.000'. At least at Potter I can take the weight out and really let it go.

Its a definite plus to be able to see a rocket with the naked eye at 8000', just had that experience, I kept losing sight of it, but with 5 spotters at least one person or two had eyes on at all times. If Dizwolf is around make sure he takes lots of great pictures of the flight for you.

Thanks Evan! Rockets present some unique challenges and I've enjoyed doing it. Of course, no one sees my horrible failures ;)

Bless the digital age...failures aren't as expensive!

You ain't kidding..... There are days I miss film. I swear one day I'm going to get an old Canon 7ne setup with a 50mm lens and use it to shoot BW. My brother has a 7e, was pretty trick for the day, it focuses wherever you're looking by reading your eye position.

il_570xN.533422105_3am8.jpg

Last edited:
One of the best photographers in Rocketry...but Riley Keller is right behind him. Both are in URRG.

Thanks Evan, the only reason I have some success is Dave's willingness to help me learn. I started getting into rocket photography because Dave and I are often at launches on different days, Sat vs Sun, we can't make it to every launch.

For a fiberglass rocket I never back the rail buttons, I just drill the FG, tap the hole and screw the buttons in.

+2. After drilling the hole, I saturate the FG with thin CA, then tap the threads. I have yet to have the threads strip out or a button come off

Hello! Just wondering if you've flown your Level-3 cert Terminator-5 recently. I got my kit from MadCow in January 2017 to do my level-3 -- but then moved to Bulgaria for work; retired end 2018 and back at our home in Belgium… Long story but with our Tripoli Netherlands 117 prefecture likely cannot stay under 6,000 feet (our clearance) to do my Level-3 in NL -- so likely will need a heavy 6" or even 8" diameter rocket to do level-3 here…

I've followed your level-3 and really enjoy the detailed video (which I watch one frame at a time!!) -- hope to build the Terminator-5 some day and even if I just launch it on a "K" or whatever-- I did my level-2 on a PML Endeavour in Oct 2009 (in The Netherlands) and last week it flew on its 23rd flight which is longer than I've ever kept any rocket… (it did land 40' in a tree at LDRS-33… and had landings with just the drogue; with main at apogee… but still good!)

Your rocket is one of the nicest constructions I've ever seen -- true "artwork" and I hope you still have it and are flying it!!

My last launch on 12 July 2020 of the (now modified/lengthened) "Belgian Flag Endeavour" on a CTI 38mm 4 grain 434 I223- dual deploy attached--- thanks for any comments and stay safe!

Steve Schulte on Monday 20 July 20202020-07-12 Endeavour Launch Baarlo.jpeg

I hope Mad Cow keeps RW 5" tubes and rockets. They have a 5.5" airframe, though. I'd also hate to see this design go by the wayside to other Mad Cow split fin designs. It really is a cool rocket. The boat tail makes it look very streamlined and the 5:1 VK nose cone is sexy as well. It as a steal at $229 on Black Friday.
Hello! Just wanted to thank you for your excellent video / YouTube you did back in 2016 of your Terminator-5 build & Level-3 flight. I used your video (taking screenshots of each assembly step) to guide me in building mine (purchased in 2016! - finally built it!) the past 6 weeks. I won't be able to fly it until March 2024 - likely first a Pro54 "K" motor then move to a Pro75 "L" --

Again, I don't think I could have built this rocket without your super video and your comments on this discussion group. Be great to meet you sometime -- I've been to LDRS 28 and LDRS 34 in Potter, NY (I grew-up in Tioga County but now live in Belgium and launch with Tripoli Netherlands) - hope to organize a USA trip during an LDRS one time in the future (now that I've retired!)

Regards, Steve Tuesday 14 November 2023, Belgium

Attachments

• IMG_5891.JPG
    IMG_5891.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
County but now live in Belgium and launch with Tripoli Netherlands) - hope to organize a USA trip during an LDRS one time in the future (now that I've retired!)

You could also come to a launch in Germany, either RJD close to Leipzig or Manching, normally you can fly there up to around 8000 ft, after the flight has been permitted by airspace control.

I've been to LDRS 28 and LDRS 34 in Potter, NY (I grew-up in Tioga County but now live in Belgium and launch with Tripoli Netherlands) - hope to organize a USA trip during an LDRS one time in the future (now that I've retired!)
In case you're unaware, LDRS 42 will be in Potter next year, so that may be a great time to revisit. :)

Back