Level 3 Build - Rocketry Warehouse Terminator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking I could use one burner on my gas grill (It's a 3-burner). Set it low and put them on the grill and the temp should hit 200 or so. Then it would smell like barbecue.

that'd do it. I ghetto smoke ribs like that sometimes when I'm lazy.

yes :)

I'm actually a fan of blast caps and MAC's charge wells-
9908334186_b4683a5edb.jpg
26100751863_4cbfa02b67.jpg

Know anywhere to get blast caps anymore? Looks like he is out of business. :-(

Eeeeee,
Looking closely at your test videos, it appears the aluminum nc tip is not aligned, starting after the continuity ignition (the 2nd test altogether). I wonder if this may have led to premature escaping of gases and thus failed separation until a larger than normal amount of BP was used

Could also be the camera angle, but would certainly look into it

Eeeeee,
Looking closely at your test videos, it appears the aluminum nc tip is not aligned, starting after the continuity ignition (the 2nd test altogether). I wonder if this may have led to premature escaping of gases and thus failed separation until a larger than normal amount of BP was used

Could also be the camera angle, but would certainly look into it

The tip was knocked loose after the 1st test. However at the time, the bulkhead was sealed, so it would not have allowed any gasses to escape so I continued testing. I fixed it after 4 tests. If you look at the next day's tests you will see that the NC was re-aligned.

I had to drill a 1" hole and using 2 12" extenders, took the screw out, added a split lock nut and a 1" dia. fender washer. After several attempts and a few choice words (my language can get pretty colorful with challenges like this), I managed to get it reattached. It's much better now.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Painting came out well even if I do say so myself. Hunter Green and White...the colors of my alma mater, Ohio University. Next come decals which I will print over the next couple days, and apply sometime late next week.

Terminator C9.jpg

I opted for the natural color of tube because I wanted to paint it.

Applied decals today. Weather sucked to take pictures outside and this rocket needs room for photos. but here are some up close and personal shots. I printed the decals myself and have learned that if you want 6-8 of the same image for fins or other duplications, always print one or two extra. I needed them both today. Saves a lot of aggravation.
Terminator D1.jpg Terminator D1a.jpg Terminator D1b.jpg

blast a coat of clear coat down on those decals. It will help keep them on the rocket :)
I lost a few on my last flight :\

Doing that today. I like to wait at least 24 hours after applying decals to clear coat the rocket. If I do it well enough with the waterslide, you can barely feel the edges of the decal. After I'm done I hit it very lightly with 5,000 grit sandpaper then put a coat of NuFinish car polish on it. It should glisten. I know a few other people who can paint a lot better than me, but I'm not bad with a rattle can.

Finished.

Added 3 coats of clear. Wet-sanded with 5,000 grit paper. I wire up the AV Bay this evening and get it all together. Came out pretty well I think. Go Bobcats! A couple final photos and the final revised Open Rocket file. Now I wait for Memorial Day Weekend. Trying to figure out how many video cameras I can attach.

Terminator D2a.jpg Terminator D2b.jpg View attachment RW Terminator 050916.ork

Thanks...but will it fly?...and recover?

Aww, you know the saying around this hobby- when it works, it's awesome...when it DOESN'T work it's REALLY awesome! That said, best of luck on the L3, that's not a time when you want any failure, no matter how spectacular it may be!

SUCCESS!
The rocket flew beautifully. All charges fired, all chutes deployed. A special thanks to Riley Keller who took these photos. and a huge thank you to Robert DeHate at AMW ProX, who was an excellent L3CC. I am now a Level 3 amateur rocket scientist. Be afraid...Be...very..afraid

Video will be coming shortly.

Terminator D3a.jpgTerminator D3b.jpgTerminator D3c.jpgTerminator D3e.jpgTerminator D3f.jpg

Last edited:
I'll state it again... I really love that Terminator design. I'm actually surprised I have not seen more of them fly (whether for Cert or not) given the superb pre-Black Friday pricing that was offered by RW.

I'll state it again... I really love that Terminator design. I'm actually surprised I have not seen more of them fly (whether for Cert or not) given the superb pre-Black Friday pricing that was offered by RW.

I hope Mad Cow keeps RW 5" tubes and rockets. They have a 5.5" airframe, though. I'd also hate to see this design go by the wayside to other Mad Cow split fin designs. It really is a cool rocket. The boat tail makes it look very streamlined and the 5:1 VK nose cone is sexy as well. It as a steal at $229 on Black Friday.

Congratulations Evan!
I truly wish I got to see it. We had planned on coming to NY-Power but could not make it. WELL DONE! This rocket may be my L3 as well. Do it again! BTW: what altitude did you get? did it land close?
Andrew K

Back