Cambridge Rocket Club in Ontario

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our first viable launch of the season is scheduled for Saturday March 12th, 11:00 a.m. The weather looks acceptable, however the field will very likely be muddy, so show up prepared. Let's brush the cob webs off of our models and have a great day.

March 12th launch cancelled due to in-usable field. The sod farm is soaking wet with large areas of ponding water. Hopefully it will dry out in time for our April 9th launch. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1457582361.275936.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1457582376.360735.jpg

See you then.

March 12th launch cancelled due to in-usable field. The sod farm is soaking wet with large areas of ponding water. Hopefully it will dry out in time for our April 9th launch.
See you then.

Wow thats some nasty tire rut! I hope you fixed it before the sod guys see it. :p

Richard ;)

Ps; (Would snow shoes work on Mud?!) Only if you can walk with 55# of mud on each foot. :wink:

Last edited:
The problem is I've paid dues to MAAC and CAR. Totalling close to $200 waiting on these clowns to have a launch. They have fired off a single thing since last July I guess. I know that every launch since September has been cancelled.

The club I was with back home in Virginia made effort to reschedule a missed launch the same month. We never missed a launch in a month. It was also set up so that if you were a member you could kind of go to the field and launch whenever. A meet didn't have to be happening to launch. Pay these guys the $25 dues plus all the other fees ro be able to launch there you'll never see the value for your dollar.

The problem is I've paid dues to MAAC and CAR. Totalling close to $200 waiting on these clowns to have a launch. They have fired off a single thing since last July I guess. I know that every launch since September has been cancelled.

The club I was with back home in Virginia made effort to reschedule a missed launch the same month. We never missed a launch in a month. It was also set up so that if you were a member you could kind of go to the field and launch whenever. A meet didn't have to be happening to launch. Pay these guys the $25 dues plus all the other fees ro be able to launch there you'll never see the value for your dollar.

You just don't get it!!! The sod farm is completely saturated and has large areas of standing water. A rocket launch would cause considerable damage to the farm. We could (should) get charged for damaging private property. It's a SOD FARM and not a model rocket launch site. It would be very selfish to try to launch and would be criminal to trespass on it under these prevailing conditions. When conditions permit it is an ideal model rocket launch site. We must be patient and understanding. Your total lack of understanding is very disappointing. I hope that common sense will prevail and you can join us for loads of fun as soon as conditions permit.

Everything that you've said above is great, but you aren't in Virginia anymore. One of the gold standards in rocketry is Kloudbusters in Argonia KS, with a standing 50,000 AGL waiver and hundreds of acres of open ground. Here's the link to their launch schedule:

https://www.kloudbusters.org/launch.cfm

Of note is that they have KloudBurst April 9/10, then they have "--Break for Wheat--"... then a launch in July. Nothing in between.

Kloudbusters does what they can given the land they have and the regulatory environment in which they live. Southern Ontario is an exceptionally bad place to launch because of trees, water, wind farms, unsympathetic land owners and an apathetic government for our hobby. None of those issues are the fault of CRC, and in fact are all obstacles to be overcome with significant time and effort. Just like Kloudbusters, they do what they can given the land and resources they have and the regulatory environment they live in.

I understand that you don't like the value proposition - I get it. I'm spoiled here in Texas, and when I eventually get back to Toronto I'll be in similar shoes. But as I said before, the solution is to either step up or vote with your feet. Calling them clowns doesn't reflect badly on them... but it does reflects badly on you, and this is also a small community - on both sides of the border.

Your incessant whining isn't going to make anything better. Thats the way it is and if you aren't going to do something to make it better go back to Virginia. You told me you had a lot to offer but the only thing you've provided is angst and grief, something this clown would be happier without. That CAR membership would be valid for UGGR or MARS [but not CRC] so your not totally down. The rest of us also have to pay MAAC whether we can fly or not.

You are a troll and will be added to my ignore list. :kill:

Richard

I would give the dude his money back and send him packing. I don't know what to say. He won't bring value to the club. Will morale go up with him part of the club? Not likely.

I would give the dude his money back and send him packing. I don't know what to say. He won't bring value to the club. Will morale go up with him part of the club? Not likely.

But his $25 will be instrumental in finding a new all-year, weather proof launch site. Would be a shame to give that up.

The problem is I've paid dues to MAAC and CAR. Totalling close to $200 waiting on these clowns to have a launch. ...
volunteers who are spending their own time to have a good time and help others

.....The club I was with back home in Virginia made effort to reschedule a missed launch the same month. ....
the field will still be wet next weekend.

Members want to fly but the field will not allow it.

.... A meet didn't have to be happening to launch.....
insurance rules dictate there is a event. Unless you happen to know a land owner that will allow you to personally fly, we have to have meets.

this thread is also being used for the club announcements, Please start another thread for your rant.

I was supposed to be added to the list by Angelo. That's what he said the last time we spoke anyways. I'm assuming that never happened since it's been 3-4 months since that conversation took place.
I handle the website as a favour to the club. I was able to grab the domain as the last holder kind of disappeared. I haven't even sent a bill for the domain registration and host the site on my server. I see lots of value for this expense and it won't even allow me to fly!

There have been changes to the site and we are still finding the best way to handle official announcements. I do not handle the email list of the club but send requests to the president who sends out go/no go decisions. For now I am updating the website as needed and making announcements on Sunward's social media and a couple of forums.

Take a chill pill. Seriously.

This is way to get together and have some fun. We can't control the weather, field conditions, land owner rules, and availability of volunteers.

Time to go back to rebuilding my dreaded Dalek rocket. I will get it to fly, honest. :flyingpig:

Richard

Last edited:
This is what our launch site (sod farm) looked like on March 12th. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458052377.304151.jpg

We have no luck with the weather this year. Hopefully we can all get the show on the road on April 23rd. Looking very much forward to it.

Dare I say send some of that rain out to Ablerta. We have opposite problem cause so dry we already getting fire bans :facepalm:

Excellent launch today, Perfect conditions.
I had a blast even though I arrived late and unprepped :wink:

Nice to meet some of you, I hope to meet more next time. Cheers!

Back